It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Will Be the Next North Pole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
No surprise the Earth is moving on it's Axis, but evidence is now indicating that instead of the North Pole moving towards Canada, it's moving towards the UK.

Scientists have long known that Earth tends to wobble as it spins, causing its poles to drift slightly. However, a dramatic shift occurred around the year 2000, when the North Pole turned east.

In an attempt to understand why, Ivins and his colleague Surendra Adhikari analyzed space geodetic and satellite gravimetric data from 2003 to 2015. This data allowed the researchers to unambiguously identify the causal mechanism for the Earth’s drifting poles after 2003.

The researchers wrote in their study that the Earth’s spin axis has been shifting 75-degrees eastward from its normal long-term drift direction since the early 2000s. That shift, they found, is being driven not only by melting ice sheets, but also a loss of water mass in Eurasia due to the depletion of aquifers and drought, according to a NASA release.

“This is the first time we have solid evidence that changes in land water distribution on a global scale also shift which direction the axis moves to,” Adhikari, lead author of the study, told New Scientist.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The upside: Maybe Santa will attain the delightful accent he deserves.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Bring it.

It's about time all those fake tan wearing, sun worshiping, flip flop jockeys got a taste of Mother Winters fury.

In all seriousness though, if it is about to get colder around these parts, I for one welcome that. I am sick of snowless winters.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Are we sopposed to believe their reason behind this tilting? And when we tilt 128 dgrees...what then?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Science, or politicized science? Who's to know anymore.

Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

oh FFS - where do we start ?

the axis of rotation [ the true north pole ] does wobble - but it is consistent google " chandlers wobble "

almost all spinning objects have some eccentricity - its normal

next the MAGNETIC poles - are just that - the poles of the earths magnetic feild - this is fluid - as its created by the dynamics of the fluid core

movement is expected - the exact speed and direction of movement is not predictable - but its expected

this kind of thread is what we get when people read articles by the scientiffically illiterate

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The earth does not stagger through space as a drunken man.....
Theres gonna be a lot of water sloshing around should this take place.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think you will look very handsome in one of those big black fur hats like the Russians wear.

Shouldn't you be out shopping for pellet stoves and stuff? Order a few pairs of battery-operated heated socks?

I wonder if hot-coke and rum is good?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Science, or politicized science? Who's to know anymore.

Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

"The study doesn't say whether the changes are man-made".

There. Feel better? : )

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think its to do with the magma, I think there are magma currents at work, which makes the 'pole' wander around, it has done since it was first found, aircraft magnetic compasses are constantly updated.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Interesting that they claim in a nutshell that climate change is cause of pole shift. Here's another article to take into consideration:

LiveScience
Earth's Magnetic Field Could Flip in Our Lifetime
By Kelly Dickerson, Staff Writer | October 17, 2014 01:20pm ET

A pilot looking down at her plane controls and realizing magnetic north is hovering somewhere over Antarctica may sound like a scene from a science-fiction movie, but new research suggests the idea isn't so far-fetched in the relatively near future.

A magnetic field shift is old news. Around 800,000 years ago, magnetic north hovered over Antarctica and reindeer lived in magnetic south. The poles have flipped several times throughout Earth's history. Scientists have estimated that a flip cycle starts with the magnetic field weakening over the span of a few thousand years, then the poles flip and the field springs back up to full strength again. However, a new study shows that the last time the Earth's poles flipped, it only took 100 years for the reversal to happen.

The Earth's magnetic field is in a weakening stage right now. Data collected this summer by a European Space Agency (ESA) satellite suggests the field is weakening 10 times faster than scientists originally thought. They predicted a flip could come within the next couple thousand years. It turns out that might be a very liberal estimate, scientists now say. "We don't know whether the next reversal will occur as suddenly as this [previous] one did, but we also don't know that it won't," Paul Renne, director of the Geochronology Center at the University of California, Berkeley, said in a statement.

Geologists still are not sure what causes the planet's magnetic field to flip direction. Earth's iron core acts like a giant magnet and generates the magnetic field that envelops the planet. This helps protect against blasts of radiation that erupt from the sun and sometimes hurtle toward Earth. A weakening magnetic field could interrupt power grids and radio communication, and douse the planet in unusually high levels of radiation.
www.livescience.com...

My interpretations is that pole shift may be a cause of climate change. Regardless, sounds like shift happens!

Exciting times ahead though! I hope I get to experience it.
edit on 12-4-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
was wondering if the cause was due to climate change

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I have a fairly extensive extreme weather outfit already, but I will take the animal skin hat under advisement!

As for rum and Coke, I prefer to think of it like this: At least there will be no shortage of ice to put into it!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The magnetic pole and the axis pole are two different things....
They do not share the same co ordinates.....
Nor are they (either of them) static.....
Which came first...the chicken or the egg.....
Climate change or the pole shift......
nothing lasts forever.....everything is changing all the time....
People expect constants....
They are upset when reality does not allow that ....
everything changes...nothing stays constant....
Its just a wiring fault in our circuits......
Don't let it upset you....
The ONLY thing that is constant in the whole universe is,.... well,....Change.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I guess I've turned into a chicken. Even considering the repercussions of that sounds scary to me.

I think about our Earth and I want it be happy and healthy. Whatever man's contributions might be, certainly don't appear to be helpful.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

As long as it is the magnetic North Pole I don't really care. I would love to see the aurora at night.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
The magnetic pole and the axis pole are two different things....
They do not share the same co ordinates.....
Nor are they (either of them) static.....
Which came first...the chicken or the egg.....
Climate change or the pole shift......
nothing lasts forever.....everything is changing all the time....
People expect constants....
They are upset when reality does not allow that ....
everything changes...nothing stays constant....
Its just a wiring fault in our circuits......
Don't let it upset you....
The ONLY thing that is constant in the whole universe is,.... well,....Change.....

Yep. Like death. I just don't want to be there when it happens.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Wonder if Santa will have to move his premises?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: StoutBroux

I guess I've turned into a chicken. Even considering the repercussions of that sounds scary to me.

I think about our Earth and I want it be happy and healthy. Whatever man's contributions might be, certainly don't appear to be helpful.

You can still be happy and healthy....until you aren't. Edgar Cayce thought this:

Cayce went on to indicate that the rising ocean heat is directly related to the size of sun spots. He was emphatic that it was the reflection of the sun in the earth's atmosphere and not the sun's radiation that cause the currents to grow warmer.

The A.R.E. connects an episode called The Magnetic Storm from the television show Nova to a prophecy Cayce gave in reading 826-8. On the show, scientists discuss the magnetic force field that protects the Earth. This field is generated by the Earth's molten core of liquid iron some 2,000 miles beneath the surface. This magnetic force protects the Earth and every living thing from radiation storms that regularly sweep across the planet and the rest of the universe. The alarming news that the magnetic force field is weakening was predicted by Cayce.

Cayce has many predictions about the destruction of our planet as we know it. I'm not too sure of the timing, but to be fair, the article does state he doesn't give an actual year of happening. It does appear, he was gifted.

Regardless, we are such a small speck in the game, there is so much out there bigger than us. So live a life of no regrets, remember 'beansNrice, beansNrice" oh, H2o, and be happy. It's 98% attitude, my friend. Glass half full or half empty. We choose. It's one thing that can't be taken from us. The serenity prayer is some good common sense. I'm not religious but the sentiment is practical.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Yep. The earth is tilted at a 23 1/2 degree angle. And as far as we know always has been.Hasnt changed yet. And with nothing huge slamming into us , wont change for a while.

The magnetic poles though , as you stated , are constantly on the move. Unfortunately everyone leaves out that one MAJOR word when they say OMG the poles are shifting. We all gonna die.I guess it sounds better that way. Then , of late, they blame it on Climate Change. Now they KNOW we all gonna die.

Make the world go away.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Least the weather will be constant.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join