It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400 Capitol Hill 'Democracy Spring' Protesters arrested.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
im sure if they were running around with guns occupying government ranches. they would be lauded as great American patriots using their constitutional rights against a tyrannical government for freedom and liberty

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
That argument, although somewhat true, is a bit of a fallacy:

They are protesting things that we should ALL worry and care about. Sure Occupy Wall Street was a farce that didn't really get anything done, but if this election cycle has taught us anything, is that even people who should have NO chance to get things done, may be the only people who do.

~Tenth

So you call my statements a quasi-fallacy, then use that fallacy to counter me?

"We should ALL worry and care about" - meaning if a person don't agree with your paradigm, then that person don't care? They are no true Scotsman?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
im sure if they were running around with guns occupying government ranches. they would be lauded as great American patriots using their constitutional rights against a tyrannical government for freedom and liberty

Better than defecating on cop cars and raping their fellow protesters.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

For one thing, getting yourself deliberately arrested just to make a point. It's one thing to protest and end up getting arrested. It's another thing to go to an area that is going to get you arrested for reasons outside of what you are protesting simply to get arrested so people see you getting arrested.

For example, BLM wants to protest injustice in law enforcement? Fine. They should go and protest at police stations, jails, courthouses. If they break into a trial during this process, they might end up arrested for contempt of court, but at least they are being arrested for protesting something directly related to their issue.

Instead, what do the idiots do? They go and terroize campuses, malls, block highways and other areas that have nothing to do with their issue which is why I have no patience for them.

This is similar. They are basically rebels without a clue. They think simply waving signs and getting arrested make them "meaningful." It doesn't. It makes them look stupid.

As for the things wrong with the country, where these OWSers and I part ways is when they start talking about how to solve the problem with corruption in politics. You can't fix a corrupt system by giving it more power. It never works, but that's what they basically want to do.
edit on 12-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

you dont know what went on in that ranch, it could of got all broke back mountain in there, with all the emotions flying around

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

For one thing, getting yourself deliberately arrested just to make a point. It's one thing to protest and end up getting arrested. It's another thing to go to an area that is going to get you arrested for reasons outside of what you are protesting simply to get arrested so people see you getting arrested.

. They are basically rebels without a clue. They think simply waving signs and getting arrested make them "meaningful." It doesn't. It makes them look stupid.

The point of being arrested, they have stated, is the whole country cannot be arrested. Or, at least, the thousands arriving in the next weeks. It will keep the issues in the news. You have the right to think it is stupid.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

What issues?

I agree with Ketsuko, this makes them look stupid and will cost them money. How does getting arrested keep issues (is there a list?) in the news?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

What issues?

I agree with Ketsuko, this makes them look stupid and will cost them money. How does getting arrested keep issues (is there a list?) in the news?

You should really read the source article in the OP .

They are pushing for a series of legislative actions, including the passage of four bills aimed at reducing "the influence of money in politics" while seeking to "expand and protect voting rights."

Ant the article it also links to:
Thousands will Sit-In at Congress

Government by the People Act and Fair Elections Now Act; the Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2015; the Voter Empowerment Act of 2015; and the Democracy for All Amendment. In addition, they are calling on the Senate to confirm a nominee to the Supreme Court who will vote to uphold political equality.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

No, you should have put it in your OP. I don't click on links from my phone.

So they want big money outta politics. Sounds like the Elizabeth Warren mantra. "banks should not be to big to fail, but I'm voting to bail them out"...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I read the jails are getting full. And we are talking about it now. The point of protesting. I applaud the courage.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
They are protesting things that we should ALL worry and care about. Sure Occupy Wall Street was a farce that didn't really get anything done, but if this election cycle has taught us anything, is that even people who should have NO chance to get things done, may be the only people who do.

It's not only that OWS was a farce, it's that the tactics and image that they ultimately used and created for themselves negated any good reason for their "occupations."

I was behind OWS at the beginning when the message was to remove corporate money from politics, but then it just spiraled out of control into an oblivion...one into which I was not comfortable following. At that point, I just grabbed the popcorn and watch the circus implode on itself.

I draw some very heavy parallels to Black Lives Matter and obviously to this OWS 2.0 that is happening now.

Like Reldra says, protesting is an appropriate tool to attempt to enact change, but it must be done peacefully and legally, otherwise the lawlessness and the perceived spoiled-brattitude (TM) of the "occupiers" destroys all possibility of being taken seriously.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Good for them.
Money in politics is intrinsically corrupt, there is not other reason for it to be there. Governments are supposed to be of the people, by the people, for the people, there is absolutely no reason for any corporations to be "backing" anyone.

I still don't understand why we have politicians campaigning, all they need to do is state what they plan to do to make the country better, and release that as a statement, maybe have a couple of debates on one TV network.

That's it! You're informed, you know who is planning to do what, then you vote for those relevant people.

These millions of corporate $'s are NOT NEEDED in government, and the notion that it is accepted or that it's believed that it's "normal" absolutely reeks of corruption - legalized corruption.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Please post your comments in one of the existing threads.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join