It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating for health vs eating for pleasure.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I understand how food can provide pleasure. But what I don't understand is why people who understand that healthy food leads to a healthy body continue to let pleasure dictate what they eat.

The pleasure of eating unhealthy food might continue until a long term disease takes over, and the pleasure of eating unhealthy food is gone when chronic pain and disability takes over.

Why are people so stupid?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56 The thing is, eating healthy doesn't have to be unpleasurable! You can make healthy dishes taste good with the right spices and seasonings.
I know a person who had a mild cardiac event and didn't do one thing to cut cholesterol or eat healthier, they went on after two years to have to have a double bypass heart surgery.
I wouldn't go so far as to call this person stupid though, because a lot of Psychological issues were in play, like depression and the like.
The key to indulgent eating... is moderation. If you constantly deprive yourself of a treat every now and then, you can easily find yourself self medicating with a binge of ice cream and cookies... at least in my experience.... The main thing is to get back on track and start eating right again.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This thread is going to get removed according to recent trends.

Learn to cook, get an app like MyFitnesPal and lose weight. Tastes good man.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Yikes! Thread removal!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think there's a difference between "healthy vs unhealthy" foods and "eating for pleasure vs eating for nutrition". Of course, I'll assume we're talking about people who have the resources and availability to freely choose what they eat.

1. Pleasure vs Nutrition. This one's easy. Most people don't like eating things that taste bad to them. Luckily, most edible things in nature have some nutritional value, even the "good tasting" ones. Processing foods has a tendency to drastically reduce their nutritional value, but even they can be fortified with nutrients. The widespread availability of multivitamins and supplements also reduces the perceived need for eating strictly for nutritional value. So in short, people probably expect to eat pleasurable foods while still expecting to get their nutrients.

2. Healthy vs Unhealthy. To be blunt, a lot of people don't care about their health. Just look at how many people use various drugs, tobacco, and alcohol. This is regardless of how much harm they may cause themselves or others. I mean, some people literally sniff paint thinners. And others intentionally drive while intoxicated, regardless of the danger to themselves and others. (Not to mention the people who have sex with random people without any form of protection).

Once you acknowledge this cold reality, it'll seem much less outrageous that people will intentionally reject healthy food in favor of unhealthy food. I don't think a lot of people care at all until some kind of emergency forces them too.
edit on 12-4-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
a reply to: Domo1

Yikes! Thread removal!

Super scary!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

just my opinion - but i want to live - not just cheat death - i want to LIVE

and i want to have FUN

i dont worry about my diet - its the other things i do that are truely dangerous - at least one person in the UK this year has unfortunatly died doing every sport / outdoor activity i currently participate in .

so bring on the bacon

ETA :

if other people want to live till 250 in utter misery chewing on 3.74 grams of textured cardboard - let them

i will be out there LIVING .
edit on 12-4-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

You should have made this in rant, because that's what you did.

Because they just are.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
I understand how food can provide pleasure. But what I don't understand is why people who understand that healthy food leads to a healthy body continue to let pleasure dictate what they eat.

The pleasure of eating unhealthy food might continue until a long term disease takes over, and the pleasure of eating unhealthy food is gone when chronic pain and disability takes over.

Why does a smoker keep smoking despite knowing it's bad?
Why does an drug fiend keeps shooting heroin in his body?
Why do fat people keep eating junk food?

Because they are addicted (in the case of food, people are addicted to fat and sugar).

Also eating healthy food can actually bring more pleasure than eating gross junk food.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

We can do both. I've been eating salmon, pasta parcels, scrambled eggs, asparagus and green beans this week. They were very tasty dishes, healthy and low calories.

You put a fillet of salmon on foil and drizzle a little olive oil over it. Wrap it up in a loose foil parcel after adding seasoning and spices. Put it in the oven.

Get the asparagus and put them in a pyrex dish (or similar). Add a small chunk of butter or olive oil. Maybe add a crushed clove of garlic and definitely be liberal with the salt and pepper.

When the salmon's been in for ten minutes, add the asparagus and give it ten minutes. Meanwhile, you're boiling or steaming your veggies so they all come together at the same time.

20 minutes and tastier than a burger or a burrito.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Your gut bacteria dictates what foods are pleasurable. If you eat crap food you develop poor gut bacteria, which signals the brain to want more of the same. Some people love sugar but I can't stand the stuff because I have a good diet and a healthy gut.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

It's not about being 'stupid'.

You have obviously never had a 'vice', never had an addiction. Never had the internal battle between mind and body.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I don't think it is a question of healthy versus pleasure.
(Because healthy can be very pleasurable indeed)

I think it lies in what we know (but continue to return to denial each time it is pointed out)
about sugar in particular... that it is MORE addictive than heroin. Chemically.
It isn't a matter of making a choice consciously for pleasure- it is our body (our brain being part of that) being an addict and coming up with any excuse possible to get another dose.
Hell, I somehow even began to think cigarettes tasted great, when I was addicted. Even though first experiences clearly showed me otherwise. My brain comes up with all kinds of BS and rationalisations when it is hooked.

Only when you cold turkey for a while and gotten off the addiction do you start to awaken to the reality that there wasn't that much pleasure in reality, not taste-wise. I dreamed of Cinnabuns for years, going on my memories of how delicious they were when I was a teen- the last time I went back, I got one, and realized it tasted disgusting! I couldn't eat it and ended up throwing it away.
(somewhat concerned about the implications on my memories in general...)

Even in things we consider savory, when you start looking at the contents, the sugar trap is often used to pull you in without you even knowing it.

The other thing I have seen with my kids especially, is simply being too lazy to cook.
You end up convincing yourself some things are good because you have actually forgotten what home cooked real food tastes like, and thinking of them as pleasurable gives your mind a good rationalisation for your laziness.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

and i want to have FUN

i dont worry about my diet - its the other things i do that are truely dangerous - at least one person in the UK this year has unfortunatly died doing every sport / outdoor activity i currently participate in .

so bring on the bacon

ETA :

if other people want to live till 250 in utter misery chewing on 3.74 grams of textured cardboard - let them

I don't find eating healthily so important that I am not 'living'. To me living is about watching my children blossom, going outside and taking in the fresh air, a spot of gardening here and there, going for long walks and listening to my favorite music.

If eating the right foods can help me live longer to experience the above, I will most certainly eat healthy.

But in that respect if eating bacon is your idea of living then I wish you well my friend. Each to their own.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I believe in, eat anything to goes rotten within three days and dont overdue it

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

and i want to have FUN

so bring on the bacon

ETA :

There are most certainly more people on average dying from obesity than from dangerous sports so your activities are not as dangerous as you think.

Also you seem to be mistaking "healthy" and "fat free" which are 2 completely different things.

Eating healthy means buying and cooking your own food instead of eating processed food with no nutritional value.

Bacon isn't unhealthy. McBacon is.

Maybe it's time to review your beliefs about healthy food and "dangerous sports"

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

These are not mutually exclusive options.

I can eat healthy and still eat things I find pleasurable. There is this thing called moderation.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

People do the same thing with tobacco, alcohol, drugs, sitting on couches, etc. Poor health takes time, potato chips are instant gratification. Dopamine receptors often drumpf knowledge.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SugarDaddy

Eating healthy means buying and cooking your own food instead of eating processed food with no nutritional value.
"

Imma disagree here a little. "Healthy" eating is a bit more than that. I can make, from scratch, some really amazing dishes that are not healthy. At all.

When I taught myself to cook, it was with the intent of being more healthy. What I discovered was that I can make all the delicious "bad" foods myself now!

"Healthy" is also subjective. For me, all the nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant.... And tons of spices) should be off limits. They create a very hostile body, for me. But why do I down salsa like its crack- because it is addictive, for me. While I argue "it isn't harmful to me", my husband won't hear that and points out that it really IS harmful- healthy though it may be.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
All things in life require balance and moderation.

I enjoy every minute devouring a bloody red steak charred/burnt on the outside and tenderly moist inside. I also enjoy fried chicken. However, I don't eat like that everyday.

Life would not be worth living if all I could eat was rabbit food. Humans are omnivores. We are supposed to have a varied diet of meat, fish, and veggies.

I think part of why people are so unhealthy though is that the average person is sedentary. We no longer are physically active by default. Instead of toiling in a field or doing other hard work, most of us sit all day in front of a computer screen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join