It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Middle School Teacher Suspended For Telling Class That Arabs Use Quran For Toilet Paper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
A Michigan middle school teacher has been suspended for making anti-Arab remarks. The teacher in question told his class that Bedouin Arabs used the Quran as toilet paper. The school is located in Dearborn which has a 30 percent Arab-American population

www.msnbc.msn.com
DEARBORN, Mich. - A middle school teacher has been suspended with pay while officials investigate a report he told his students that Bedouin Arabs used the Quran as toilet paper.

The teacher is on the faculty of Woodworth Middle School in Dearborn, a Detroit suburb of 100,000. About 30,000 Dearborn residents are Arab-American.

Bedouins are members of historically nomadic tribes and make up about 10 percent of the population of the Middle East. The Quran is the Muslim holy book.

Parents complained to the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee and the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Imad Hamad, Michigan director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, said the teacher should apologize.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps this teacher should be looking for another line of work. Schools should be free of bias and even if this was some bizarre kind of joke, there is no way that anybody could defend this action. Children have enough influences placed upon them already and to have a teacher express this type of opinion in class is so over the top I am almost at a loss for words.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It is a trend lately. Rather than trying to understand different cultures, we demonize them. This pratice is perpetuated by the mainstream media, for example, right after 9-11 the media was airing footage of cheering arabs claiming that the arabs were cheering the collapse of the towers. A few months later the media companies that aired that footage were forced to admit that the footage they showed was in fact stock footage from the first gulf war, and the cheering arabs were actually cheering the advance of american military columns. That is one example of many. My daughter came home from church during the elections saying that she had heard a couple of grown ups there talking about John Kerry eating babies
It is sad to think that in this modern world, with all the advances in global communication, that we as a society would still hold to these prejudices. Ignorance at it's finest really, and sad. Your right Fred, public eduation has no place for that kind of garbage. I would go so far as to add that public education has been, but more so recently become Public Re-Education, a tool of the establishment. While obviously this teacher and the incident you refer to is extreme and isolated, they still teach that Squanto and the Pilgrim story crap to our kids. Another really creepy example was earlier in the school year when my kids came home and told me they saw a show on "channel 1" (cctv) about immunizations and injecting microchips as a sort of medic-alert. I just looked at my wife in disbelief. I blame the consolidation of the media for alot of our preconceptions. Alot of people hate Islamics, but don't have the foggiest notion as to why. We have come so far as a species, yet have changed so little. Our technological advances are truly are truly a marvel, and yet we continue to be quite a barbaric culture behind the ties and handshakes. It's sad to think in comming so far, we have gained so little.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
good catch Fred

Other than the lack of bias (I think teachers should teach a strong pro-nation-belief line) I agree with you.

The teacher shold be dismissed. Even if in some instances the story is true, ithings like this have no place in a classroom.

Teachers are to teach.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   

the media companies that aired that footage were forced to admit that the footage they showed was in fact stock footage from the first gulf war, and the cheering arabs were actually cheering the advance of american military columns.

Many Americans were influenced by that deceptive footage to develop a deep seated animosity toward Muslims and Arabs.

Twitchy, can you provide some links or references to substantiate this admission. I would love to forward it an number of folks who still believe the images shgow what they were originally represented to be.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchywere forced to admit that the footage they showed was in fact stock footage from the first gulf war,

This is entriley untrue. The images you are talking about were of palestinians literally dancing in the streets, rejoicing at the news. The footage was almost suppressed by the PA and usually such footage doesn't make it out of the country.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
i have a feeling that maybe this teacher has been affected by the Iraq war somehow otherwise she's got some serious issues.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I am astounded...
everyone knows that they use Hemp paper for the quran...
THAT WOULD CHAFF SOMTHIN AWFUL....

no one in their right mind would believe they would actually do that...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Bill OReilly, joe scarbouro, Hannityand the rest of the fair and deranged talking heads would have already forced that teacher out of the country ,much less the school, if she'd been Muslum and said," Christians use the bible to wipe. The problem is allowing the faintest religious topic to be raised in public schools.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I agree had we substituted the words "bible" for Quran, and "christians" for Bedouin Arabs, we would be seeing all the pundits doing live broadcasts from the school, and politicians on CSPAN decrying the action. What do we have instead? A page 4 article at best :shk: Even if you are say a christian, do you want someone with any sort of "issues" teaching your children?

new topics

top topics

join