It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom DeLonge AMA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: TechniXcality
in a thread that was purported to be the "AMA of all time"

No one from ATS made any such promise.

The biggest issue with scheduling an AMA with very busy high-profile people is, no matter how hard we try to organize and block out a segment of time, there's no ability to predict the unexpected demands on their schedule.

We're seeing if he can come back to address some of the remaining questions.

SO, you rock. Thanks for chiming in with that. The fact that he came and spent time answering questions at all was awesome.

I hope he can come back and weed through some more folks' questions. If not, the discussion that did happen has inspired me to further research and for that I'm grateful.

- AB

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Burnitalldown

When you joined, you agreed to the terms and conditions of the site. Did you read those by any chance? I didn't notice any of your posts exactly, but I noticed there were several removals because of thread drift, or manners violations. Maybe one of those?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Thank you for responding
I communicated poorly. I didn't post in the Tom AMA thread. My question was in regards to bandersnatch's similar Tom AMA behavior thread they created in The Grey Area. I couldn't find bandersnatch's thread anymore and he had said in this thread that it had probably been binned. I had read the terms and conditions, yes, I was more specifically interested in the "if and why" their thread was binned. Perhaps wrong forum? If it was about tone and language, I would like to know the difference between what he posted and what was posted in this thread.
Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Burnitalldown

Aha! I see now, said the blind man. (woman)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

JUST FYI everyone.. He is back and answering questions..

thank you for the time spent securing this AMA and now that he is back I will be paying attention, this is why I said that I would reserve judgement and obviously we always should,and as they say," it ain't over till the fat lady sings"

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

When I found the thread I skipped ahead to find out what his first few answers were to the first few questions. I guess it was over an hour before he made his first reply. Nah, I said to myself, that's all I need to know.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

The only folks that had posts removed were ATS members.

It's a learning process. We have to let it develop.

DeLonge is doing fine.

All this on him is for nothing.

He'll be back.

Monday comes on like a beast for those in Product and Dev.

Give him til Thursday. 4/14.

You have to be an ATS member to post and 6 to 8 of those who posted on page 4 to 6 joined today.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I think the disappointment comes from the fact that were he not a celebrity, he would have been laughed off of this site. He refused to speak in anything but vague sentences, and even suggests that all of his "knowledge" is second-hand.

I believed ATS would be better than this. When the claimant is revered, suddenly skepticism is out the window.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Sure. I get you. Noted. So what?

Happens all the time.

We're used to that, right?

That;s why ATS is old-school; # like that happens here.

Sign me up.

Oh! I am.

edit on 11-4-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I assume that ATS has done AMAs before. Does anybody have a few links to some other AMA threads? I'm interested in the standards and structure of AMA threads as opposed to "normal" threads

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
why do we have to be super skeptic when we are just asking questions? why do people have to undermine his credibility even though everyone is able to use google, wikipedia and read his posts? why ask him about his music when he said he came here for questions on a whole other subject?

you know, i have also just signed up yesterday but felt like this was the moment i have to join ATS after years of lurking. speaking to someone who claims to know some secrets is not something you get to do everyday. so there's your much-needed reason for why i and maybe some others created our accounts just recently.

i think it really could have been great and it's a shame that the thread got trolled like that.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I stopped following the thread when the trolling started as I felt that it was getting embaresing and wanted no part of it.

As to his short answers I would say that as a punk rocker turned author he will might not be as fast off the cuff as a seasoned writer and also a lot of the questions were from new members and pretty simplistic in the structure.

Add to that that you have about 50 people all asking you questions at once and want to please as many people as possible and there might be an explanation.

As to a failed marketing ploy then why not cross promote?

trolls aside it looks like ATS picked up some new members and forced a few lurkers out of the woodwork and a lot of people(myself included) now know a bit about what he is doing.

All AMA's are mutually benificial to both parties. No one gives up there free time for an AMA unless they have a new book/documentary ect, that's what they are for.

One thing I found interesting is when he called David Icke a "weirdo" either he has no idea that the next AMA lined up is one of the most well known CT'ers in history and made a blunder or there is something we don't know about.

I think I will ask David Icke what his opinion of him is in his AMA next month

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

The biggest issue with scheduling an AMA with very busy high-profile people is, no matter how hard we try to organize and block out a segment of time, there's no ability to predict the unexpected demands on their schedule.

You guys screwed the pooch on this one tbh. Tom is not a very busy high-profile person. He hasn't been for a decade or so. He came here to sell a book, that is all.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

You guys screwed the pooch on this one tbh. Tom is not a very busy high-profile person. He hasn't been for a decade or so. He came here to sell a book, that is all.

And your opinion on the "member" of ATS and there reason for being here with the agreement of the management is relevant how?

Just because someone is famous does not make them a viable target for abuse. It's really very sad that people think they can break the rules of common decorum because someone is in the limelight.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

My opinion was not on the "member" of ats as you are trying to bait into, no. It was the opinion of the forum event itself, aka the thread. Really a let down. Previous AMA's have been incredible, this one wasn't. Take that however you like.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

It's an impossible format for discussion... Tom tried to answer every question asked, it felt like he was just doing his best to accommodate everyone, I imagine it was difficult for him.

There needs to be some type of intermediary like an host to suggest which questions to answer.
The best format would be a live video stream.

Were you or any of your staff connected with Tom on Skype?

Good Job nevertheless ATS...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

My opinion was not on the "member" of ats as you are trying to bait into, no. It was the opinion of the forum event itself, aka the thread. Really a let down. Previous AMA's have been incredible, this one wasn't. Take that however you like.

I am not trying to bait anything.

Simply pointing out that the management made an agreement to bring something interesting to the forum and a lot of members decided to take it upon themselves to ignore the "if your not interested then scroll on by approach" that is usually used on a forum with such a wide variety of topics and take it upon themselves to judge what they feel is worthy.

Regardless of the fact that he has written a book and also had a music career the guy signed up for an account on ATS and participated.

Did he not deserve the same level of respect and politeness that any other member does?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Hex1an

It's an impossible format for discussion... Tom tried to answer every question asked, it felt like he was just doing his best to accommodate everyone, I imagine it was difficult for him.

It's not 'impossible,' but I for one am glad you pointed this out

We forget that the AMA guest is sitting on the other side of their screen and can only think and type as fast they are able to. Imagine posting a thread that gets thirty questions in half an hour and each member is expecting a fully detailed answer? Imagine if some of those questions were practically unanswerable due to their philosophical nature?

Some of those waiting for an answer get uppity and start complaining and, all the while, more questions are building up. It's a tough ask to be an AMA guest around here. In the midst of that we had at least one person going out of their way to derail the thread.

In my opinion (just that!), AMA guests should be afforded the time it takes to write their answers. Whether we agree with them or not, we can still be friendly and polite.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Did he not deserve the same level of respect and politeness that any other member does?

I never said anything about Tom, just the thread event.

it was a let down big time as far as an ATS AMA goes.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I never said anything about Tom, just the thread event.

it was a let down big time as far as an ATS AMA goes.

My comments were not directed at you personally.

Your opinion is as valid as the next members but we do not usually comment on the quality or content of another members thread outside of the topic of discussion. That is my personal opinion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join