It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Report: White House Fought Extreme Interrogation Curbs Proposed By Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Under pressure from the White House, congressional leaders dropped a measure that would have imposed restrictions on the use of extreme interrogation methods. The proposed legislation if passed would have effected the CIA's ability to secretly detain and interrogate top terrorist and leaders within thier organization. In addition, the law would have required the CIA and the Pentagon to report on methods used to the congress.

www.msnbc.msn.com
NEW YORK - At the urging of the White House, congressional leaders scrapped a legislative measure last month that would have imposed new restrictions on the use of extreme interrogation measures by American intelligence officers, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

The defeat of the proposal affected one of the most obscure arenas of the war on terrorism, involving the CIA’s secret detention and interrogation of top terror leaders, according to the newspaper, citing congressional officials.

The Senate had approved the new restrictions, by a 96-2 vote, as part of the intelligence reform legislation, the article said. They would have explicitly extended to intelligence officers a prohibition against torture or inhumane treatment and would have required the CIA as well as the Pentagon to report to Congress about the methods they were using, said the report on the Times’ Web site.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not surprised since the nominee for the Attorney Generals post is the architect behind alot of this. However, this is increasingly becoming a slippery slope as we continue to marginalize our constitution in the war on terrorism. We need to find the right balance between our need for security with the rights that we all cherish

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I'm not surprised since the nominee for the Attorney Generals post is the architect behind alot of this. However, this is increasingly becoming a slippery slope as we continue to marginalize our constitution in the war on terrorism. We need to find the right balance between our need for security with the rights that we all cherish

"Hey Dick, I´m all outta poo-rag, can you pass those bunch of papers to me?"

"Mr. President, that is the constitution of the United States of America,"

"Ah damn, already wiped my ass with it - is that independance, declaration thingy still around?..."

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by president_bush

"Hey Dick, I´m all outta poo-rag, can you pass those bunch of papers to me?"

"Mr. President, that is the constitution of the United States of America,"

"Ah damn, already wiped my ass with it - is that independance, declaration thingy still around?..."

Thank you who ever you are. You continue to exemplify why there will soon be a bloody street riot in American. There are 63,000,000 American voters that will no longer take this BS from the liberal left. Liberalism is a FATAL mental disorder.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
"Thank you who ever you are. You continue to exemplify why there will soon be a bloody street riot in American. There are 63,000,000 American voters that will no longer take this BS from the liberal left. Liberalism is a FATAL mental disorder."

I find this rather amusing, considering that about five years ago I signed myself into a mental institution with the pure statement that either I was nuts, or the country was.......after listening to what I had to say, they decided I was sane...
of course, me not having health insurance at the time might have played a role in that decision!!

oh,ya, can't be too fatal, I'm still alive. unless of course, you expect all that blood on the streets to be from those sick liberals....if so then, well, I'd advise you to watch what you say, because well, you might find yourself breaking a law or two with your words.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well of course the Whitehouse wants to keep these torture laws in place. Im just calling a spade a spade. With this in place, there is no way that the beloved Bush would ever be found guilty of war crimes. Thats what this is about. Bush isnt just heavy handed in his global policies, He is LEAD handed. The intelectual ineptitude of the current administration is akin to the school yard bully that cant add 2+2, but he can beat the #e out of little Johnny boy untill Johnny gives in and does what the bully wants.

top topics

join