It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cops: Sri Lankan Tried to Sell Grandkids After Mother Killed In Tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
A Sri Lankan man has been arrested following charges that he tried to sell his grandchildren. The children were in his care after the tsunami killed thier mother and destroyed thier home. The man was taken into custody at the refuge camp he had been staying at since the devastating tsunami hit the country. The girls, 7 and 9, have been reunited with thier father.

www.foxnews.com
BATAPOLA, Sri Lanka — A 63-year-old Sri Lankan man was arrested on charges of attempting to sell his grandchildren after their home was destroyed and their mother killed in last month's tsunami, police and local officials said Wednesday.

The man, identified as A.H. Somadasa, was taken into custody Monday at a relief camp where the extended family had been staying after the Dec. 26 tsunami, said police Inspector W.D.T. Wijesena.

On Tuesday, Somadasa was released on bail by a magistrate in the southern coastal town of Balapitiya, while the two girls, aged 7 and 9, were released to the custody of their father, Wijesena said.

The suspect's lawyer, Sumith Dhammika de Silva, insisted on his client's innocence, saying there was no evidence that Somadasa had tried to sell the girls. Instead, the grandfather told him two foreigners had come to the shelter offering to help the family but apparently had secret intentions of buying the children.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He claims he is innocent and for his sake I hope that he is. I cannot imagine selling anybody let alone your own grandchildren. I have a two year old and I know that his grandpa would sacrifice everything to keep his grandson safe. If true this is one of the most disgusting acts I have seen come out of this disaster. Human trafficking especially the trade of children should be fought on the worldwide level and stopped.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Completely unnacteptable.

• This could be the media twisting the story and fudging the info.
  • This incident could also have been a setup, as stories such as this, offer paths of attaining sympathy. Once that sympathy is achieved, people will start emptying their pockets.

No matter in what view you look at it from it is still and will always be very disturbing.

• posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:54 AM
    link   
    Sadly, selling children (particularly little girls to the sex industry) is not an unknown phenomina in that area of the world (worse, it's not exactly unknown here in America.) In that area of the world, it's often an economic decision -- too many mouths to feed and girls are considered the least valuable members of the family.

Here in the West, we consider it unthinkable (though there are, as we all know, parents here in the US and the West who prostitute their own children both online and offline.)

In either case, I hope the truth comes out quickly and in the meantime I'm very glad that those little girls are someplace safe!

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:24 AM
    link   
    FYI - I reported on this problem last January (2005). Of course, I focused on the Black Market industry and the corporate economic structure that supports it, not a single case of "personal responsibility" in a caregiver.

The global Black Market in children thrives on war, catastrophe and abuse - and Asia's recent tsunami has created a whole new source of "product." Children are used in the sex trade, for slave labor, to supply organs for transplant on the black market, and are kidnapped for use as child soldiers too. Tsunami orphans are at risk.

More at Tsunami Orphans Prime Targets for Black Market in Sex, Forced Labor, Organs and Military

new topics

top topics

join