It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Colonization of Mars is a Dumb Pursuit.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

that would be a great thx Octavius.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoonBlossom
Late to the party, but I agree with everything you've said OP, and commend you for having the fortitude to speak your mind on such an important issue.

I just cannot fathom some of the responses read herein; looking at colonizing Mars
but could give a Fluorine-Uranium-Carbon-Kalium about Earth, now that they've
almost fully raped not only the planet, but most of its people for profit
- and for generations, no less...

We have also disgustingly littered up this planet something fierce, due to gross over-consumption, with space already having our junk in orbit - the same humanity that would see this world and others as their own personal garbage dump.

I liken it to an analogy of sports fans in their "Go Team - WE Won!!" chant.
No WE didn't win, the players won, parting you from your time=energy=$$ and in the off season, all YOU have is an empty football field.

When Mars is "won", Earth will be the new empty football field - a mined out empty shell of its former self and a garbage dump left to rot.
But at least your team "won" space, right?

That said, I really am all for space exploration, it is a noble pursuit - however once humanity learns to clean up its OWN backyard and do right by the people who live here in the NOW, and earn the respect of their offspring and future generations in taking care of the very PARADISE they were first entrusted with.

There is no honour in colonizing space, with your home planet in such a disgraceful state

- the very reference of where you've been already - and, what you're capable of.

Whats wrong with Kalium? Do we have too much of it? Am i eating too many bananas? What about uranium? You know its not particularly dangerous and its very common in the ground. And what about Fluorine? I would respectfully suggest that you get your info on those elements from sources other than ATS and (probably) youtube. Did you know you can hold Uranium in your bare hands? Dont do that with Potassium or Fluorine though
edit on 12-4-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We will run out or room and resources one day, and to have the intrustructure already in place, we may well never see overpopulation when its in the panic phase.

One day we will run out of room.

If you say 'no way' it will ever happen, I assume one expects humanity to die out before the population hits critical mass. That sucks for your kids and all their offspring. Why bother having kids?

This is how we prepare for the future generations.

Get on board with preparing for at least 100 years in the future, or stop procreating. Youre making it worse by being so selfish(not you directly).
Living green and claiming to be pro environment also means avoiding overpopulating the only planet we have with more humans to consume and take up space. People are worse than candy bar wrappers IMHO

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015
You should use the same logic you used in your post and consider the fact that colonizing other planets is insurance for our race and other species.
We could have a fresh start and inhabit it with many lifeforms.
All this with a fresh start, without the wasting and polluting practices from the industrial revolution.
All the while healing our own planet.
Plus whos to say the powers that be don't know of some impending planet-wide "cleansing" that may occur in our not so distant future. .../ahem/ nibiru etc...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Er.. colonising another planet would be a fantastic achievement for the human race.. It would also be a stepping stone to exploring further into space. .

First response nails it! Well said MrLondon.

Moving on

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I have to tell you, I completely agree with you. Before we move out into space, we had better learn to take care of THIS planet first. But we are both ignoring an important truth about Humans, wherever we go, we "F" the place up. I have a personal theory that one reason humans migrated all over the earth is that we would just destroy a habitat and then have to move on. We spread all over the earth because we probably trashed every good place we found. Along that line of thought, maybe we SHOULD move off the earth and do all our polluting and ravaging on say, the moon, and let this planet heal. Make it into a park and live in orbital habitats, space colonies like Girard O'neal envisioned. But I agree that spending billions to move to a freeze dried, bone dry cold planet with no protection from radiation and pretty much of a vacuum for an atmosphere is God awful stupid.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That's what I was saying, simple insurance , one big enough space rock and things that are now crawling or hopping from place to place may one day reflect in their science labs on the causes of what wiped out the race of bipeds.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Though you make a good point, it is naïve to believe big corporations will stop killing this planet. This world is all about profits with minimal losses. For example... It's financially beneficial for a company to discard hazardous material into a river than paying for proper disposal. Or using dirty energy such as coal over a cleaner but more expensive alternative.

It's disturbing what corporations are willing to decimate in favor of the all powerful $$. Never the less, we need space exploration. No doubt financing those project will lead to new discoveries which will benefit human kind as well.

Our future as a specie mandates out of Earth colonization. Surely you recall the 1994 collision of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9. Had Jupiter not intervened, we would not likely be having this dialog today. Wouldn't it be an awful shame, if (In a very optimistic future) we actually cared enough for the environment to reverse the detrimental effects we have caused only to become extinct by a Comet!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

tell that kid down the street who doesn't get to eat about that drop in the ocean

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

there are ways to live without poising the world, laziness and consumerism has taken over unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

never once said anything about climate change, dont know were u got that.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

It would be very lazy of us to put off safeguarding our species by pioneering on other bodies in our solar system, just as it would be foolish not to care better than we do for our home world.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

i am for doing both if we can afford it, but we cant, and people and animal species suffer and die because of it. In the name of preserving life i suggest we stop gambling in space, there is a huge difference of odds between preserving life here and building life out there. If you were in vegas which would you bet on?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Interestingly I just read a new article on Mars moon not being captured satellites but an actual chunk of Mars from a massive collision.
Maybe that killed Mars.

RIP MARS.

Researchers Julien Salmon and Robin Canup fom the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado ran a computer simulation where an object roughly the size of Pluto hit Mars, throwing one-thousandth of the Red Planet’s mass into orbit. This model was presented at last month’s Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Texas.

www.iflscience.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Having all of one's eggs in one basket is: Dumb.

Too many ways that life here on Earth could (and has been in the past) wiped out.

Better to get ourselves spread around, even if it's only in orbital habitats.

We will never solve all of Earth's problems by simply staying here on Earth and waiting for something really bad to happen (and it most likely will happen one day).

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
the fact is that if we do not go multiplanetary as a species at the earliest possible chance...

As mentioned, I think this could be more readily accomplished with better education accessibility for all, as many minds coming together can accomplish much - including everything dreamed of in space. I am not against the concept - only ponder why it is projected over decades, while earth has had problems for many more of those that have yet to be fixed - even with the current tech we have. Clearly it is not in the best interest of those who control corporations and massive fortunes though.

In the meantime, educated populaces could halve the time for both endeavors. People are currently being under-utilized, in that we are creating a new generation of (hate this term but) burger flippers, whose own positions will be replaced by tech soon enough. As well as the current lack of employment for all whom are seeking, jobs moving overseas etc. - the intelligence of the masses should and ought to be harnessed, and not wasted.

originally posted by: TrueBrit
We should be cleaning the planet, AND colonizing new ones, not picking one or the other, but insisting on doing EVERYTHING we need to do, all of the time, without ever compromising one for the other.

Agreed. And with more people included and involved towards both solutions, this is accomplished sooner than later.

a reply to: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
Whats wrong with Kalium? Do we have too much of it? Am i eating too many bananas? What about uranium? You know its not particularly dangerous and its very common in the ground. And what about Fluorine?

While I hope you were being merely facetious, I must consider that perhaps you are just not great with acronyms.

a reply to: Beowolfs

originally posted by: Beowolfs
This world is all about profits with minimal losses. For example... It's financially beneficial for a company to discard hazardous material into a river than paying for proper disposal.

It's disturbing what corporations are willing to decimate in favor of the all powerful $$. Never the less, we need space exploration. No doubt financing those project will lead to new discoveries which will benefit human kind as well.

This is the part I find so sad. That space must seemingly be funded first - before we can utilize those technologies here. They ought to be concurrent. Surely the scientists themselves have families, and are equally concerned about Earth - but perhaps it's a case of "as long as it's not happening in my backyard". (Flint water, et al)
Which really doesn't say much for what they think of the rest of Earth's inhabitants.

- - - -

Anyway, appreciate the responses, one thing I am glad about is that you all care enough to have this discourse. Passionate opinions can lead to great things, if all voices can listen to each other.

I know that no one really knows one another on forums - but truly I cannot convey enough, how much LOVE I have for all people and this planet. There are so many people busting with ideas and insight out there, who simply need their passions properly channelled.

edit on 12-4-2016 by MoonBlossom because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Having all of one's eggs in one basket is: Dumb.

Too many ways that life here on Earth could (and has been in the past) wiped out.

Better to get ourselves spread around, even if it's only in orbital habitats.

We will never solve all of Earth's problems by simply staying here on Earth and waiting for something really bad to happen (and it most likely will happen one day).

Really if we don't learn good habits, respect, and good protocol here what makes you think we can do it elsewhere?

People that disregard, and disrespect their current planet will most likely do the same elsewhere. Out of sight, out of mind we dump tons of crap into the oceans, and into the ground.

We call down-cycling, recycling because we are narcissistic, and believe our own delusional behavior is fine.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

All of this is wayyyyy tooo deep, but.....still here right? Yep agree with ya!

We all cant really wipe our own asses can we?

Maybe a 2nd chance? 3rd...4th....how many now? A 'fresh' start?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The hypcocracy of some folks criticizing the actions of others while typing on their next chunk of the land fill is astounding.

I hope all the we need to fix the planet here crowd has solar panels, drives electric vehicles or bicycles only, and work as activists either creating artifacts like Musk, Dean Kamen, or Bucky Fuller.

All the love in the world isn't going to stop that astroid from killing more on this planet than any human.

Which is the purpose of expanding and learning more from space. We would definitely learn a lot about maximizing efficiency.

edit on 12-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Maybe before we will have learned how to keep this one, this one will be hit by an asteroid or another mega catastrophe and we will all be death.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join