It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss Hastings Has a Really Bad Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The Washington Post headline on this story reads: White high school teacher arrested in Texas after classroom attack on black student, but I don't think race had anything to do with it.

The attack looks pretty shocking, but the kid is smiling at the camera and doesn't look like he got hurt. I don't know, he may have a some bruising. The kids were genuinely shocked by Miss Hastings behavior.

Atyra Deroune, a 10th-grader at Ozen who witnessed the attack, told 12 News that the attack was out of character. “She was a really cool teacher,” Deroune said. “It was just that particular day.”

Other students who talked to KHOU but whom the TV station did not name offered the same impression. “I just didn’t think that Miss Hastings would do something like that to one of her students,” one said. “She is a caring teacher,” another said. “She cares for her students. But … students do give her a hard time sometimes.”

Ozen High has more than 1,100 students, 98 percent of which are minorities, and 81 percent of which are economically disadvantaged, according to U.S. News and World Report.

Apparently, this school has a lot gang violence and unhappy students:

“One of the worst places I’ve ever been placed,” one review, purportedly from a former student, read. “It was a year of experiencing the closest thing to jail. Violence, terrible teachers, insane gangs of students running wild. Never again.”

Miss Hastings was arrested for assault and she was released on a $2,500 bond. Ozen High and The Beaumont Independent School District have placed Miss Hastings on administrative leave pending action on her contract.

Fortunately, Miss Hastings is 63 and is illegible for Social Security, because, if she loses her job over this, which I'm sure she will, I doubt she'll be able to collect Unemployment Insurance!

SOURCE

edit on 11-4-2016 by windword because: source

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Fortunately, Miss Hastings is 63 and is illegible for Social Security, because, if she loses her job over this, which I'm sure she will, I doubt she'll be able to collect Unemployment Insurance!

You mean "eligible." Another quote you did not illustrate has witnesses saying this snippet was not all that happened. Students would frequently pick on her even to the point of throwing things at her. So she could make a claim that she was subjected to a hostile work environment and threaten to sue the district over that alone. Unemployment is a bit fickle, and she could be able to pull it off, depending on how she negotiates with the school district. The "rule" is that if she quits, the onus is upon her to prove she quit for cause, but if she is fired, the district must prove she was fired for cause. But if there's more to this story and she plays it right, she could get unemployment. The district might give it to her as part of a negotiated settlement.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You mean "eligible."

Darn spell checker can't be trusted! LOL

Another quote you did not illustrate has witnesses saying this snippet was not all that happened. Students would frequently pick on her even to the point of throwing things at her.

Huh. I missed that. I would have put it in the OP if I had seen it, because I really feel for this teacher, for some reason.

So she could make a claim that she was subjected to a hostile work environment and threaten to sue the district over that alone.

Good point!

I wish her the best in negotiating this really bad situation.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

There's no way in hell that I could be a teacher in today's environment of undisciplined youth. I'm sure all people around 40 (I'm 37) say that about kids in school, but it's true--we have a pervasive victim mentality that has enveloped modern children, and it only takes a few in one classroom to ruin the experience for everyone.

I can't imagine what teachers go through on a daily basis these days, but I'll tell you, I'm amazed that we don't see more of this in the news...like, every day...in every school.

No, I'm not advocating that a teacher smack up a 12-year-old and there be no consequences, but when we don't see what led up to the slaps (obviously something cued the "producer" to start recording), it's easy to be angry at the teacher. She needs to be punished, regardless, but I want the whole story.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Im going to just say it: i have no idea why she did it....but ill bet you anything that young man needed the beat down she gave him.

I know how kids can be. I was one, and I was a total asshole to teachers. I shoulda been beat like that several times. May have made me less of an asshole.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

May have made me less of an asshole.

You're likable enough.

Im going to just say it: i have no idea why she did it....but ill bet you anything that young man needed the beat down she gave him.

No doubt. I'd like to buy that lady a drink! I checked, but I don't see a GoFundMe page for her...... yet.

join