It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of UK Muslims want homosexuality banned

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: auraofblack
Anyone who thinks we have an independent media is wrong. Yet more proof of divisively written stories designed for one thing, the separate everyone and keep us in line.

news.sky.com...

A few points. Yes Sky news is a rubbish source, but it is also a good indicator IMO of the agenda that the media likes to push.

The comments section on this story has been disabled, which I think is indicative of what I call an agenda push. Every other story has a comments section, but this one doesn't?

There are over 2 million Muslims in the UK. 1000 were asked this question and from that the headline pushed is half of Muslims want homosexuality banned? I'm still running the calculations but last time I looked 500 odd doesn't equal 1 million.

It all comes down to where the sample group was and the particular demographic though.

You could go to a church on a Sunday and ask 1000 white Christian pensioners the same question and get the same results.

In my opinion this is just more propaganda to fuel the divide that is being forcefully created by the media to increase division.

OF course it is..... Go to any football match and ask the same questions, you'd get similar answers. People these days seem to not want to think for themselves.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

I wonder if the roles were reversed and it was your group of people, if you would agree that using statistics like this is wrong?

It is short sighted, stupid and so very wrong. I can just look through these comments to see that wrong or not, it works.

Statistical methodology doesn't change, no matter which group is asked the question.

The only thing that could skew this result is if the sample was not stratified to account for a broad cross section of Muslims. For example, if the sample was skewed towards recent arrivals in the UK, and had no representation from long term or second generation UK Muslims, then the result would be unreliable.
edit on 11/4/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: auraofblack

"People these days seem to not want to think for themselves".

Not all people wish allow the wool to be pulled over there eyes.

Learning to read between "there" lines is the key.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

So half of UK Muslims do not want homosexuality banned.

The thing with Sky is they pander to their markets and Muslims aren't it. As long as Murdoch's media keep stirring up fear and hatred against Muslims, they won't be losing a penny in sales.

The article goes some way towards being balanced but definitely puts the slant towards supporting the fear. You know? It says '23% of Muslims support areas of Sharia being introduced in certain areas.' They could have said '77% of Muslims are against Sharia being introduced in certain areas.'

The disabled comments section is probably due to too many offensive posters. Gays and Muslims is a powerful mix and would attract predictable comments.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Whilst I'm not a statistician, surely you can understand how this science is used in a very cynical way, in this instance. If I pick a group of people an ask them loaded questions which are designed to cloud the picture and manipulate our opinion then it doesn't matter what the results are, the poll by the nature of the questions asked is entirely manipulative.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

So half of UK Muslims do not want homosexuality banned.

The thing with Sky is they pander to their markets and Muslims aren't it. As long as Murdoch's media keep stirring up fear and hatred against Muslims, they won't be losing a penny in sales.

The article goes some way towards being balanced but definitely puts the slant towards supporting the fear. You know? It says '23% of Muslims support areas of Sharia being introduced in certain areas.' They could have said '77% of Muslims are against Sharia being introduced in certain areas.'

The disabled comments section is probably due to too many offensive posters. Gays and Muslims is a powerful mix and would attract predictable comments.

True , but 50% is a high number for such a question, as is 23% for wanting Sharia law imposed instead of the standing UK laws.
They are headline grabbing numbers.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Absolutely, the focus is on pandering to the general populations fears. Anyone who takes an article like this and actually thinks this truth is not employing the grey matter enough.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Whilst I'm not a statistician, surely you can understand how this science is used in a very cynical way, in this instance. If I pick a group of people an ask them loaded questions which are designed to cloud the picture and manipulate our opinion then it doesn't matter what the results are, the poll by the nature of the questions asked is entirely manipulative.

You are right, biasing the questions and also not having a good representative sample in the first place will certainly skew any result when applied to a broader population. I have not seen the details of the sampling method. Do you have it? It's a much more reasonable line of questioning than dismissing the results because of the sample size - which was fine.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Absolutely, the focus is on pandering to the general populations fears. Anyone who takes an article like this and actually thinks this truth is not employing the grey matter enough.

Wrong - anyone who takes this article and dismisses the result based on sample size is not employing the grey matter enough.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Yes you can look at it like that but I'm sure these figures are skewed and is in fact a lot higher.
When asked a controversial question people do not want to come across as homophobic so will answer so as not to go against the grain.
It is a major belief in their religion same as catholics, I'm sure that statistic would be a lot higher possibly 80% or so.

Anyway dies it really matter? People have their bigoted ideals and beliefs, who really cares what these type of people think.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I'd say more than 50% of Brits would have said ban homosexuality as recently as the 1980s. I was a kid then and remember that homophobia was a cultural norm. When AIDS hit, it was widely accepted as an indictment on the gay lifestyle.

What changed all that was the media slowly being more tolerant and the protest work by gay groups.

For the Muslims, they're culturally like we were in the past. Unfortunately, instead of using media to change their values, we use media to make them into monsters. That will make homophobic 50% more entrenched right?

Aye, the popular media rarely has an educational motive

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I am going to say it.

We (the places that let them in) are a bunch of sorry little feminized kittens.

i wonder what would have happened, if for some reason, we would have to relocate in the sandmonkey regions, they would just stone us...

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
To be honest it's a question that doesn't really need to be asked.. It's sole purpose is to stir up more hate and division amongst the masses.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

The thing is, statistics can be fluid and they're still much better than a gut instinct. A lot of the fears we have about Muslims and immigration is emotional over rational. I'd love to see more information and reasoning in the discussion because it looks over to me.

I worry that the media are playing a part in drumming us on the way to race riots again.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I'd say more than 50% of Brits would have said ban homosexuality as recently as the 1980s. I was a kid then and remember that homophobia was a cultural norm. When AIDS hit, it was widely accepted as an indictment on the gay lifestyle.

What changed all that was the media slowly being more tolerant and the protest work by gay groups.

For the Muslims, they're culturally like we were in the past. Unfortunately, instead of using media to change their values, we use media to make them into monsters. That will make homophobic 50% more entrenched right?

Aye, the popular media rarely has an educational motive

Very good point. Actually in the 80's around 70% of Brits thought homosexuality was 'always wrong' or 'mostly wrong'. Not quite the same as saying it should be banned but a guide nonetheless to attitudes.

The really important data - not represented in this survey - is whether there is a difference in the percentages between those Muslims that are second generation vs later arrivals in the UK. If there was a difference it would point to effective integration.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

Lets just say if you were to enter a Sharia law following nation and start attempting to scream your own particular opinions around it probably would not end well.

I would be careful using such words as "sand monkey" around these here parts as its kind of frowned upon and rightly so.

edit on 11-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

a reply to: Misterlondon

The thing is, statistics can be fluid and they're still much better than a gut instinct. A lot of the fears we have about Muslims and immigration is emotional over rational. I'd love to see more information and reasoning in the discussion because it looks over to me.

I worry that the media are playing a part in drumming us on the way to race riots again.

It will not take much with all the fuel the media is pouring on the non existent fire.

I was talking to an Irish mate the other day and he was saying that after the Manchester bombings his Dad and Uncle both ended up in hospital after walking into a pub and ordering 2 pints with Irish accents.

Sad times ahead I feel.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Funny that, because I want all Muslims banned.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
To be honest it's a question that doesn't really need to be asked.. It's sole purpose is to stir up more hate and division amongst the masses.

I think the questions really do need to be asked. My view is that migrants should be integrating into UK society, not creating countries withing countries.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

500 Muslims saying ban homosexuality against a population of over 2million muslims isn't a large enough sample group to fairly represent the group as a whole. Factoring in questions being loaded and it's more akin to hairproducts adverts that stated 90 percent of women agree that brand X does make their hair feel better(out of 194 surveyed)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join