It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of UK Muslims want homosexuality banned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Anyone who thinks we have an independent media is wrong. Yet more proof of divisively written stories designed for one thing, the separate everyone and keep us in line.

news.sky.com...

A few points. Yes Sky news is a rubbish source, but it is also a good indicator IMO of the agenda that the media likes to push.

The comments section on this story has been disabled, which I think is indicative of what I call an agenda push. Every other story has a comments section, but this one doesn't?

There are over 2 million Muslims in the UK. 1000 were asked this question and from that the headline pushed is half of Muslims want homosexuality banned? I'm still running the calculations but last time I looked 500 odd doesn't equal 1 million.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: auraofblack
You overlooked the science of Probability and Statistics entirely. The whole deal is NOT to poll everyone of a group , just a portion. From the statistics provided , you extrapolate the results from the responses. So , using these 2 MAJOR laws of math , if 1/2 of a test group of 1000 shows one answer , then you can absolutely interject the same ratio to 1,000,000 as 500,000
Do the math.

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Then let them go live in a backward thinking Muslim nation that entertains the arcane notion.

End of the day if they dont like the laws of the land they are perfectly free to depart our shores.

edit on 11-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
So?

They have a right to there belief same as the many Christians that want the same.

So long as there is separation of church and state and they don't take matters in to there own hands then they are entitled to there views even if small minded.

What do you suggest thought police?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: auraofblack
Anyone who thinks we have an independent media is wrong. Yet more proof of divisively written stories designed for one thing, the separate everyone and keep us in line.

news.sky.com...

A few points. Yes Sky news is a rubbish source, but it is also a good indicator IMO of the agenda that the media likes to push.

The comments section on this story has been disabled, which I think is indicative of what I call an agenda push. Every other story has a comments section, but this one doesn't?

There are over 2 million Muslims in the UK. 1000 were asked this question and from that the headline pushed is half of Muslims want homosexuality banned? I'm still running the calculations but last time I looked 500 odd doesn't equal 1 million.

It all comes down to where the sample group was and the particular demographic though.

You could go to a church on a Sunday and ask 1000 white Christian pensioners the same question and get the same results.

In my opinion this is just more propaganda to fuel the divide that is being forcefully created by the media to increase division.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Something that Muslims and Christian Conservatives can both agree on.

edit on 11-4-2016 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I'm sure it's a fair portion of everyone that wants it banned.Don't forget how many stupid people there are.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

OK, so If I interview 2 man and 2 woman, what your saying is I can take that number and scale it up and then I have an accurate number?

What is 1000 against 2 million? There are probably 1000 Liverpool fans that wouldn't piss on an Everton fan if they were on fire, doesn't mean all Liverpool fans can't be trusted with matches and petrol....... ( maybe a wrong analogy, LIverpool fans can't be trusted with anything, lol)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Let's see if they come in here and act all offended by this while at the same time supporting discriminatory laws against the LGBT community

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Whilst in notion I agree that anyone who doesn't want to follow a countries ideals should move elsewhere, maybe you should read the article properly. The point I'm making is that the media is completely manipulating your ideals, the way you feel.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Look up sampling size, confidence intervals and confidence levels.

A poll of 1,000 people is plenty to get a read on the views of the population at a 95% confidence level of the actual value falling in a range around the 51% result shown in the poll.

What this poll result actually says is that with 95% confidence, 47.9% to 54.1% of Muslims in the UK want homosexuality banned.

edit on 11/4/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Thats the point, do they think that way? 500 apparently say this, is 500 a fair number to scale up and aim at all Muslims?

Not where I come from.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

Thats the point, do they think that way? 500 apparently say this, is 500 a fair number to scale up and aim at all Muslims?

Not where I come from.

Yes it is plenty to determine that around half of all Muslims want homosexuality banned, regardless of where you come from.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

OK, so If I interview 2 man and 2 woman, what your saying is I can take that number and scale it up and then I have an accurate number?

What is 1000 against 2 million? There are probably 1000 Liverpool fans that wouldn't piss on an Everton fan if they were on fire, doesn't mean all Liverpool fans can't be trusted with matches and petrol....... ( maybe a wrong analogy, LIverpool fans can't be trusted with anything, lol)

You dont SCALE UP anything.You take a reasonable cross-section of a test group and the ratio follows the same. You do have a margin of error involved as well. That is usually

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   

"The point I'm making is that the media is completely manipulating your ideals."

Im sorry, i just took it for a given that everyone was already aware of the above fact.

I read the article and i stand with what i said.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

A poll of 1,000 people is plenty to get a read on the views of the population at a 95% confidence level of the actual value falling in a range around the 51% result shown in the poll.

What this poll result actually says is that with 95% confidence, 47.9% to 54.1% of Muslims in the UK want homosexuality banned.

no mention of 95% confidence in that article.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

No, 4 is not enough of a sample size, but 1000 is.
with a sample size of only 4 the range around the observed result would be +/- 48.99% - i.e. the actual result would be 2.01% to 100% at the 95% confidence level. Not useful at all.

At 1,000 sample size, i gave you the range in a post above.

Use this tool to help you understand sampling:

Sample Size Calculator

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I wonder if the roles were reversed and it was your group of people, if you would agree that using statistics like this is wrong?

It is short sighted, stupid and so very wrong. I can just look through these comments to see that wrong or not, it works.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I'm sure most of them do as it is part of their belief system.. Oh except in some Muslim countries it is OK to rape young boys.. But thats not homosexuality for some reason.
You will find similar statistics if you were to ask 1000 catholics.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

no mention of 95% confidence in that article.

They have not presented the confidence level or variance in that result, but it is easy to work out the variance based on the confidence level you want to use. 95% confidence is fairly standard, although depends on the industry and use of the data. Medical trials for example often use 99+% confidence levels only before using a result, but for attitudinal surveys 95% is fine.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join