It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mr Nice , Howard Marks has died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sad news to wake up to this morning that Howard Marks has died at the age of 70 , Howard had been diagnosed with inoperable bowel cancer last year.

Jailed in the US in 1990 after being convicted of smuggling cannabis, he recalled his exploits in a best-selling autobiography, Mr Nice, which was later made into a film starring Rhys Ifans. The father of four stood for election to Parliament in 1997 on a single-issue ticket of reforming cannabis laws. Marks also regularly toured a one-man show in which he recounted stories about drug smuggling and his time in prison.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Rest in Peace Howard .... Respect.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

RIP, Mr Nice!

You know that time is running without a break, when people die before you did things you wanted to do.
For a while he was doing readings from his books and making music together with the Band Joint Venture, here in Cologne, in a club not far from my home.

Every year i thought:
I have to go there to get an autograph on my arm. After that i wanted to go to a tattoo shop and make the autograph permanent.

Now it is too late...
Sad!
Again, RIP Howard!

edit on 11 4 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I actually went to see him in Leeds with designer Wayne Hemingway and club promoter Dave Beer. Not sure what it was all about, but I was doing my dissertation on youth sub cultures so went along. I had a question but forgot to ask it, was a bit intimidated to ask the question in a busy room and seeing as Dave Beer and Howard marks weren't the easiest people to understand I stayed quiet in my seat

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

70 freaking years old??! I'd have put him as late 50s.

He was a proper nutter and classic working lad character. Nothing but kind thoughts about the guy. In a small way, he put a conventional face on the weed-smoking scene of the 90s. It wasn't all poor kids and students getting high, there were generations smoking and all classes too. He sorta put a knife to the BS and helped to make it socially acceptable.

Lovely geezer

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
So cannabis didn't cure his cancer?

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter
Like yourself I never got around to going to listen to him talk , had a couple of opportunities but sadly they became missed opportunities , too late now sadly but I do have the Mr Nice film which I will watch this weekend , great film documenting the life of a great man.

a reply to: Kandinsky
Considering the state he left the prison in America in it's all the more amazing mate , he wore it well.
He led a full and interesting life and stayed true to himself , something I think we all aspire to.

In a small way, he put a conventional face on the weed-smoking scene of the 90s

Couldn't agree more , he showed that weed smokers are not all drug addicts and violence and dope dealing don't have to go hand in hand , he was a smart man.

When all the characters are gone what will we have left.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I've a massive soft spot for Welsh nutters and, if there's a heaven, it'll be a better place for having them.

You're right, he lived an extraordinary life and made and lost more fortunes than most. Certainly more fortunes than me who's still working on his first and failing miserably lol

top topics

join