It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea senior intelligence officer 'defects to South'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

A senior North Korean military officer who oversaw spying operations has defected, say South Korean officials.
The officer has not been named, but the defence ministry in Seoul said he was a senior colonel in the Reconnaissance General Bureau and left last year.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency quoted a source as saying the colonel was seen as an elite among other defectors.

N Korea senior intelligence officer 'defects to South'

imagine what sort of insights this man may give in NK nuke (for lack of better word)arsenal or actual capabilities.

how much is bullocks as usual and how much is true.
i can assume NK's enemies will be bidding for his head. seeing how he might be in the ranks of the top echelon, he might have access to secret documents, plans, contacts etc.
it will be interesting to say the least, one thing is for sure, this man will never resurface into the news.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The art of war says do not kill a spy, turn him. Who's turning who here? Maybe we should just water board him?
edit on 11-4-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Quite brave to defect from North Korea, considering his whole family - going back a generation, or two - will now be abused and likely killed. The North Korean's are really quite brutal.

The Guardian

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

It wouldn't work ..these guys ain't raghead troops.
I've seen South Koreans bathe in the river ...in winter.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

What did he do? Tie himself to a giant bottle rocket pointed south? Lol. First thing I would check him for is the magical path map through the DMZ!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Quite brave to defect from North Korea, considering his whole family - going back a generation, or two - will now be abused and likely killed. The North Korean's are really quite brutal.

The Guardian

I was just about to say that...I hope he doesnt have any.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Yeah he has access to North koreas top secret weapons programs.....

A giant achme catapult

And he will reveal that North koreas unicorn is really a donkey with a traffic cone glued to its head

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

The art of war says do not kill a spy, turn him. Who's turning who here? Maybe we should just water board him?

Great so when war breaks out North Korea will then fight to the death.

I can see the propaganda now:
"Fight to the death for dear leader! Don't surrender or the imperialist capitlist pigs will torture you! Under the USA only death awaits"

Better to treat this spy like a king and give him a good life. So when war does break out the starving Korean army will just surrender.
edit on 11-4-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

The Guardian

It's true - and it's so messed up.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

The more I read your posts, the more I realize you'd make a perfect police officer ready to taze a kid, or an unarmed human lying on the ground, or maybe even just shoot them, and imagine you are a good guy.

I really do believe people like you think you are good guys. Yeah, he defected, let's start water-boarding him.

There are, no doubt, many officials at your level of intelligence with power that would do such a thing.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeisGrand

i suggest you read all of his posts before cementing that opinion, just sayin

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The thought of him defecting to be spy for North Korea has crossed my mind considering what they would do to his family. Or, he caught wind that he was going to be executed soon. Either way it sounds a bit fishy as this very rarely if ever happens with a top official from North Korea. My money is on this being a fabricated defection so he can spy for the North Korean Government.
edit on 11-4-2016 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

my level of intelligence? I've been around for years, you haven't read my posts properly- sarcasm and irony. Thanks for the input and im sorry "guys like me" make you tremble.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

my level of intelligence? I've been around for years, you haven't read my posts properly- sarcasm and irony. Thanks for the input and im sorry "guys like me" make you tremble.

Phew glad it was sarcasm. thought were being serious myself!

I think wars inevitable with North Korea.

I just want it to be over quick and preferably with the North Korean army collapsing and surrendering with minimal bloodshed on both sides.

No one should die for Dear Chubby.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
lets not undermind NK completely.

what if this 'defector' was just a trojan horse.

would NK be smart enough to seize the opportunity to have a spy as a double agent. this is a critical time for NK as its ties with china are getting decrepit; maybe they are looking to infiltrate SK after all the joint training exercises with the US.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

We don't know what position he held, only that in comparison to previous defectors he's the highest ranking.

It's also unlikely that he would have any intelligence relating to nuclear capability, at least not more so than we already have based on decades of spying through various sources and various means.

Governments compartmentalize everything to prevent individuals from having too much information and making them vulnerable. Even on specific military sites or in specific departments you have various levels of access to information so that as few people as possible know anything of high value.

He might, however, have information about what NK knows about SK, which in itself would be useful for counter-intelligence. It's also plausible he might have some information which might go a long way to identifying spies in other nations, who can then be used to feed false intelligence to the NK regime

This will be a long game. They'll be testing him to see if he's loyal. If he's found to be acting in support of NK they'll use him to feed false information back to the NK regime. If he's genuinely turned they'll be using the information he provides to feed false intel back anyway...

Either way, we win.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

yea we will see. and the timing for SK to release this info is also interesting as it was reported this colonel defected about 1 year ago.

this will be an interesting game indeed.

edit on 11-4-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I think its that bold widows peak and that cheeky grin that gets people mate lol

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Probably a plant to feed counterintelligence and misinformation. The Soviets used to do it all the time.

top topics

join