It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Islam a Peaceful religion or NOT?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
OK - I got this email - and I'm wondering if what it says about Imams is true. Does it actually say this in their Koran??
I need someone that knows to tell me........

I checked at TruthOrFiction.com to see if this email was true.. and it says that this person DOES exist, and he stands by this email... he said that this is what happened.

My VERY Christian aunt sent this email to me - I got angry and I need to reply to this (to her) and I dont know what to say. I know this probably seems petty to some.. but I'm trying to convey to her that a few fundamentalists shouldn't sway her view on a whole religion... but if what this email says is true - then what can I say? Nothing.

I just figure there are people here who know - and I thought I would ask.

This is the email - copied and pasted...........

The Muslim religion in the fastest growing religion per capita in the United States, especially in the minority races!!!

Allah or Jesus? by Rick Mathes

Last month I attended my annual training session that's required for maintaining my state prison security clearance. During the training session there was a presentation by three speakers representing the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths, who explained each of their belief systems

I was particularly interested in what the Islamic Imam had to say. The Imam gave a great presentation of the basics of Islam, complete with a video.

After the presentations, time was provided for questions and answers.

When it was my turn, I directed my question to the Imam and asked: "Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world. And, that by killing an infidel, which is a command to all Muslims, they are assured of a place in heaven. If that's the case, can you give me the definition of an infidel?"

There was no disagreement with my statements and, without hesitation, he replied,"Non-believers!"

I responded, "So, let me make sure I have this straight. All followers of Allah have been commanded to kill everyone who is not of your faith so they can go to Heaven. Is that correct?"

The ___expression on his face changed from one of authority and command to that of a little boy who had just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He sheepishly replied, "Yes."

I then stated, "Well, sir, I have a real problem trying to imagine Pope John Paul commanding all Catholics to kill those of your faith or Dr.Stanley
ordering Protestants to do the same in order to go to Heaven!"

The Imam was speechless.

I continued, "I also have problem with being your friend when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me. Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have your Allah who tells you to kill me in order to go to Heaven or my Jesus who tells me to love you because I am going to Heaven and He wants you to be with me?" You could have heard a pin drop as the Imam hung his head in shame.

Needless to say, the organizers and/or promoters of the 'Diversification' training seminar were not happy with Rick's way of dealing with the Islamic Imam and exposing the truth about the Muslim's beliefs.

I think everyone in the US should be required to read this, but with the liberal justice system, liberal media, and the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized. Please pass this on to all your e-mail contacts.

This is a true story and the author, Rick Mathes, is a well known leader in prison ministry.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Lemonhead]

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Lemonhead]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure if the actual story is true or not, but these type of things get passed around all the time through email by christian fundamentalists, and most of them are false. It would be nice to have a muslim ATSer who could clarify on certain passages in the Koran.

Why would it be so shocking though? The Bible tells us to stone our children if they disobey, or stone our neighbors if they work on the sabbath, but we dont do these things. Christians usually give some circular answer as to why they dont, but it still says to do these things. Most muslims dont convert infidels by the sword either, so its a moot point. Every religion has its fundamental extremists. I cant understand these chain emails, like they are revealing something shocking of some sort. They cleary have an agenda, I'd advise you to actually ask a muslim, because you'll most likely get biased opinions from anyone who isnt.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Earnest want to understand or Islam bashing?

Since 9/11, one of the most controversial, debated, and asked question is if Islam is really a religion of Peace. Not jumping you here, Lemonhead, nor am I accusing you of such, but this topic teeters on and walks a very fine line. If one is not truly and earnestly wanting to understand a religion, then such a question can, and eight times out of ten, lead to inherent and malicious bashing of Islam and those who practice Islam. I would caution anyone, before posting to this topic, to either be civil in your response and/or earnestly seek to understand Islam. There are a wide variety of reputable and legit sources that discuss and explain Islam....consider it as Understanding Islam 101, understanding for those who do not have a complete understanding of Islam.

I will agree with Alec Eiffel in that, there are extremist and fundamentalist extremist (militant, etc.) within each and every religion/religious system. There views, though they claim are innocent and not meant as being malicious tools, are quite to the contrary. To understand Islam, one needs to understand the Qu-ran (Koran). Likewise, to understand Christianity, one must understand the Bible. As such, anyone can claim and assert anything concerning a religion and its inherent beliefs, anyone. The question is are we here to seek and understand or simply just believe any type claim and assertion, as gospel, and then reduce ourselves to belittling and bashing?

The subject, in a variety of differently named and phrased topics, has and have been previously been presented and discussed within ATS........most of which, simply do not have the desire to intelligently seek and understand what they are asserting and claiming. Again, I encourage anyone and everyone to earnestly seek and understand by taking the time to search out reliable sources that give a basic understanding of Islam.

The past ATS topic threads in question:
Why Islam is not a religion of peace.
Islam: An intolerant, inconsistent fallacy
Islam is an ideology, not a religion!

Seek and you will find....or so they say.
There is a distinct difference between seeking and trying to understand versus simple bashing and ignorance. You decide. For ultimately, it is you who has the last say, makes the final decision, but then again, it is you who has the opportunity to really understand or maintain ignorance, correct?

seekerof

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
there are indeed fundamentalist extremist subgroups of most religions. I think you will find that most muslims are freedom loving peaceful folk who dont beleive or practice the jihad ideaology. its these poor fol;k who get a hard time now, branded as terrorist, by the mindless mobs of bush supporters, they get their churches (mosques) burnt down and their lives threatened in the streets and their women are villified for wearing the traditional head gear.
You have already been given the best possible advice, Go to your local mosque and speak to the people, I think you will be surprised. Knowledge
dispells ignorance, but ignorance sticks like mud.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
To start off,I would like to say that Islam is not a religion of hatred as to what majority of the people might think.It's only a group of Islam extremist who's going around causing havoc in the name of Allah.However,one must understand Islam before they can see that Islam is one of a peaceful religion.

About the mail,can you prove the authencity of the e-mail?link me to the source of the e-mail and then we can verify whether its true or just a Islam-bashing e-mail sent around.

The Jihad or "Holy war" against the infidels is only declared when there is a country/group/religion etc. is going against Islam and oppressing the muslims.Hey, i see none of that happening.The call to Jihad is not accepted by every muslims around the globe but only to the Islam Extremist which i believe aren't even faithful to Islam.These Islam Extremist are just using the name of Allah to massacre innocent lives.

Yes,I'm a muslim.A moderate one.I don't go around killing "infidels" or anything.A true muslim would only consider one an "infidel" when they criticise and mock Islam.Living here in Singapore,muslims are able to adapt to the secular community and live harmoniously with people of other races and religion.As to my knowledge, there has never been a call to Jihad.Only those terrorist using the name Islam did.

Once again,the muslim terrorist have brought shame to the real Islam.My opinion is that they are the infidels.Yes,if you checked the Quran Allah does order the muslims to hate the non-believers but in the Quran too Prophet Muhammad teaches us to treat them as our brothers and sisters.

Peace!

new topics

top topics

join