It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence Flares at the Macedonian Border with Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Reports that a group of migrants approached Macedonian police and border guards to ask them to open the border , when the Macedonians refused a large group of migrants "stormed towards the fence" and attempted to break through prompting the Macedonians to respond with tear gas and rubber bullets.

The Greek government have condemned the use of force.

In an unusually strong statement, George Kyritsis, a spokesman for migration coordinators in the Greek government, said the use of force was unacceptable. "The indiscriminate use of chemicals, rubber bullets and stun grenades against vulnerable populations, and particularly without reasons for such force, is a dangerous and deplorable act," Kyritsis said.

More than 50,000 refugees and migrants have been stranded in Greece as a result of the border shutdowns. By Sunday morning, there were more than 11,200 people at Idomeni. "We urge the authorities of FYROM to comprehend the potential risks the use of violence against refugees and migrants entails," said Kyritsis, referring to the official title of the neighbouring country, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
www.reuters.com...

As Spring turns to Summer I suspect more than just the weather will begin to warm up , this year could be the biggest test for the EU as the situation continues to deteriorate in the face of inaction from European leadership , failing internal relationships and external forces ..... Oh and the exit of the UK.
Goodnight and good luck.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Good catch. Macedonia could be the flashpoint for the next European war. We'll be lucky to get through the next decade without a major war in Europe. However, if the controlling forces in Europe can get through scrapes like these without escalation that will help.

If you're interested in these issues. This story is something to keep an eye on.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
An opportunity missed AFAIC. The border guards should have opened up a can of whoop ass there and then and sent them back in body bags.

Lesson learned ... no more testing of wills.

Need some of that in America as well.
edit on 1042016 by Snarl because: Post 5000 yay

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Just wait until they start laying mines at the borders, putting up signs warning of mines and letting the migrants take their chances.

It sounds way out there, but I wouldn't put it past them for using it as a solution to all of this

To be honest you could do it as psychological weapon to prevent migrants from ever trying to cross the border, lay a few mines but leave the majority of the border without mines and just put up signs saying it's all mined. I'm sure a lot of migrants would be put off trying to cross with just the illusion of potential minefields, surprised that method hasn't already been tried.

For sensible solutions to all this problem though I don't really see any solution to it until the nations they are escaping from are fixed
edit on 10/4/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
They are right to use force.. people cannot just storm a border to gain access to a country.. everybody on the planet knows that.
Lucky for those they were just rubber bullets because there are many countries around the world that would be using real bullets in that situation.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I'm sorry but I do not agree with your idea.. land mines should never be used in any situation. .

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Was there not a deal that Greece should ditch the "refugees" back to Turkey?

I mean, why on Earth Greece is not picking up these guys - why are they still at the border?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If they did let those people through, then thousands would be doing it on a daily basis.. although it is unfortunate.. The use of force was needed in this situation.
I'm sure some of those thinking of trying it will have second thoughts now..
edit on 10/4/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

That's great, I don't agree with my idea either but it's not something I would put past these nations doing in order to stem the flow of migrants at any cost

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

That's great, I don't agree with my idea either but it's not something I would put past these nations doing in order to stem the flow of migrants at any cost

We need to take a leaf out of the books of countries like Russia and China. . I know they may not be ethical but you don't see any migrants massing and storming their borders. .

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
These people don't look like legitimate Syrian refugees, but rather the gangs of male youths from other lands looking for opportunity. Maybe I can't blame them for trying, but they can clearly see they are not wanted. Word needs to get around in their home countries, that economic immigration is no longer a good idea.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Migrants don't choose to head to either Russia or China because of age old assumptions of both being totalitarian states much like the states they've just ran away from AND the fact that Russia and China are poor.

They come to Europe because it gives the illusion of better freedoms and better chances at achieving wealth yet in reality it's just that, an illusion.

It's not because Russian and China prevent them from coming, it's because they're CHOOSING to head to Europe. It's why they're not happy stuck in Greece and why they're not happy in Turkey, it's not about escaping the war it's about trying to achieve a better life in a richer country, they don't see it as being possible in Greece or Turkey.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
These people don't look like legitimate Syrian refugees, but rather the gangs of male youths from other lands looking for opportunity. Maybe I can't blame them for trying, but they can clearly see they are not wanted. Word needs to get around in their home countries, that economic immigration is no longer a good idea.

Put it this way, of someone climbs over my fence and pitches up a tent in my garden, they are getting removed by force.. its a simple as that..

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Migrants don't choose to head to either Russia or China because of age old assumptions of both being totalitarian states much like the states they've just ran away from AND the fact that Russia and China are poor.

They come to Europe because it gives the illusion of better freedoms and better chances at achieving wealth yet in reality it's just that, an illusion.

It's not because Russian and China prevent them from coming, it's because they're CHOOSING to head to Europe. It's why they're not happy stuck in Greece and why they're not happy in Turkey, it's not about escaping the war it's about trying to achieve a better life in a richer country, they don't see it as being possible in Greece or Turkey.

Thats exactly the problem.. countries like China and Russia wouldn't give these people homes, money etc..
I know we should be supporting people that are less fortunate but that is not the way to do it.. It causes more problems than it solves.
And btw, neither of those countries are poor. It's just the standard of living is lower.. although it has to be better than living in a war zone and fearing for your life daily.

I grew up in London and have since moved to a county in the outskirts. London is now a cesspool of different cultures waiting to implode. It's now unrecognizable from the city I knew as a child.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Why don't they round these people up and send them back to where they come from?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

The border guards should have opened up a can of whoop ass there and then and sent them back in body bags.
Sure rolls of your tongue easily don't it tough guy. A tough guy cliche popularized by a bunch of actors wearing skin tight shorts to show off their big boy muscles. Yeah, a really astute observation on an international stress point. Well done. NOT.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Snarl

The border guards should have opened up a can of whoop ass there and then and sent them back in body bags.
Sure rolls of your tongue easily don't it tough guy. A tough guy cliche popularized by a bunch of actors wearing skin tight shorts to show off their big boy muscles. Yeah, a really astute observation on an international stress point. Well done. NOT.

So, you think sitting these refuges down for a tea party with nice frilly doilies, and scones would achieve a better response?

"Oh, yes, please do come sit. Now, about you coming into our country..."

Most countries, and people respect strength, especially in the older countries, like China, and the Middle East.

Platitudes and pleasantries do not keep wolves at bay.

In the West, Europe and America, we have become soft, and overly sensitive, weak. These other countries and people see this, and are taking advantage of it.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

In the West, Europe and America, we have become soft, and overly sensitive, weak. These other countries and people see this, and are taking advantage of it.

And if the tables were turned would you not want to do the best for your family ?
I don't blame the majority for what they're trying to do nor do I think we should treat them badly or shoot them , they are people , but Europe cannot accommodate so many people from a different culture / belief structure , Europe is riven with its own problems and is still suffering the effects of the recession , how much more austerity will we have to endure to house the needy and sick from other countries.

We need to sort out the mess we made in Libya , stop meddling in others affairs and deliver the money that was pledged to help the countries in the region take care of their own.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I dont know why they just dont pitch up some tents next to the fence and use the tents as cover for a tunnel under the wire. Great Escape style. Earth in socks down the trouser legs.

I noticed one guy trying to put out a Gas canister with his coat.?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Well, who would've guessed that!

And we thought closing our borders would be a sign of peace and international friendship. Nobody could've imagined they wouldn't just lay down and die peacefully.

What a disgrace. Welcome to the New World Order, in which humanity dies orderly on razor wire!

edit on 10-4-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join