It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Glass is Half Empty in 2016

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yes, it's half empty rather than half full.

My optimism has developed a severe case of pessimism in all facets of human experience. There are few positives and an overwhelming sense of prevailing negatives no matter where one looks.

*blech*

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

I need to pee. Would that help??

Caught you ... smiling already!!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Too much coffee this morning?

Thanks for adding a squirt of natural, functional relief to my general mood.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Maybe your glass is just too large.

(See what I did there?)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I hear ya, masque!

I 'see' your depression, and 'raise' you one utter despair!

This winter has been awful for me.

I'm hoping you're a closet optimist like I am. Everything cycles...this will eventually turn positive....right?
Right? (please nod)

jacy

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

(See what I did there?)

Sure, and I understand.

My glass is globular and its surface contains nearly 7 billion humans (not counting other forms of life) and the state of it all depresses the hell out of me.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Your positivity is appreciated.

I sincerely hope you're right, if only for my granddaughter's sake.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I am getting the feeling that someone needs a hug and a plate full
of fresh baked cookies.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

I'm hoping you're a closet optimist like I am. Everything cycles...this will eventually turn positive....right?
Right? (please nod)

*nod*

I agree, jacy. I'm also a closet optimist. There's a lot to be down about, but it all depends on where you look. If you're looking for decency and humanity, stay away from the election cycle and anything about politics. Spend more time with puppies, dogs, nature and loved ones and you'll be considerably happier.

*hugs* to masqua...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I have a grandson and 3 step-grandchildren, so I do understand.

This country has changed so much since my kids were born. The whole world has changed.
I'm not impressed.

I insist on remaining alive as long as possible to guide them through all the stuff they're not even aware of (yet).
They are all so lovely, so innocent...I feel jaded and cynical by comparison. Ignorance was bliss for many years.

We will still have some good times, good laughs...and all that.
I promise.

jacy

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
.........sigh.....I could tell ya it's gonna get better....but I don't want to lie to you.
On the other hand, it could be a lot worse. You haven't developed E.D. yet.

Er.....have you?

All joking aside, we do seem to be in a downward spiral. I dread my kids going off to college, because of the utter stupidity I see on campuses across the nation. The internet was a good idea, sharing information with the whole world, but Dear God, look how it's turned out. Stupid and clueless seems to be encouraged, while everyone with a camera thinks they're the most interesting person on the planet and you must want to see what they're doing at all times.
Common sense has become a four letter word and please don't get me started on SJW and the professionally offended. We'll be here all day.
edit on 10-4-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Is this E.D. you are talking about the E.D. I think it is? if so,shame on you!
edit on 10-4-2016 by mamabeth because: forgot the dots

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

originally posted by: DBCowboy

(See what I did there?)

Sure, and I understand.

My glass is globular and its surface contains nearly 7 billion humans (not counting other forms of life) and the state of it all depresses the hell out of me.

I might be wrong, but ideologies aside, we might be pretty similar.

So I only say this from the heart and with experience;

Slaying dragons is good and noble work. But occasionally it helps to pick on the smaller dragons (just until you get your breath back) before tackling the bigger ones.

Hang tough.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Well, only if you're thinking about...
"lost the lead in your pencil"
"this has never happened before, honest"
" Performing with Flaccido Domingo"
"Pushing a rope"
"Boneless pork"

Then, yeah, we're talking the same thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

ROFL

And here I thought you meant Extreme Duration.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I would like to think that the glass might be replenished after November; when infact the glass will be knocked over and broken.

I'm replacing my glass with a full bottle of high powered spirits.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I never see the glass as either half empty or half full. I just drink straight from the bottle.

Hail Eris!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You still have almost 8 months left to fill the glass. You're way ahead of the game! As long as you busy yourself with filling it, rather than emptying it.

Fill 'er up, and chug it down. Here's to life!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I saw this thread immediately after you posted it this morning

I decided you didn't need to hear from me...

:-)

You're welcome

But, here I am anyways - after a few cups of coffee:

"What gets us through life, evidently, is just the right amount of delusion — enough to fool us into feeling relatively good about ourselves (...we all believe ourselves to be above average; 90 percent of drivers certainly do), but not so much as to exceed our own credulity. "If we were to experience the world exactly as it is, we'd be too depressed to get out of bed in the morning," Gilbert writes. "But if we were to experience the world exactly as we want it to be, we'd be too deluded to find our slippers."
Interestingly, the clinically depressed seem less susceptible to these basic cognitive errors. For instance, healthy people can be deluded into greater happiness when granted the mere illusion of control over their environment; the clinically depressed recognize the illusion for what it is. All in all, it's yet more evidence that unhappy people have the more accurate view of reality — and that learning how to kid ourselves may be a key to mental health."

Depressive Realism - A More Accurate Worldview But Not Necessarily a Healthy One

I'm not suggesting that you're depressed - clinically or otherwise. I bolded the part that's meant to help us (yes - us, 'cause I am right there with you)

My opinion about how to keep on keeping on is to realize that it is the astonishing amount of beauty and genuine good in this world that makes the nastiness weigh more than it should. That contrast - realizing all the wasted possibilities...that's what makes it so much more difficult to fathom or accept the sheer ugliness that is in our face almost all the time lately

It's always been there - but I think our 24 hour access to all of it is not helping. It makes it feel as if it's multiplying and accelerating

Anyhow - like that bit I posted suggests - I'm working a little harder at some serious make believe and reality deferment

edit on 4/10/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I am a nice girl after all and changed my mind.
edit on 10-4-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join