It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I started making home made wine...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: schuyler

If I'm not mistaken you can't make more than 200 gallons per federal law unless it has changed.

That is correct, if there are two adults in the household, otherwise it's 100 gallons. The provisions of the law are as follows from the law signed in 1978. States also have their own laws, but generally mirror the Feds.

* You may legally make 100 gallons per calendar year if you are single and over 18, or 200 gallons if there are two or more adults in your household.

* You may not sell your wine or offer your wine for sale.

* You can take the wine out of your home for personal or family use, contests, exhibitions, wine judgings, etc.

* If you make more than the allotted amount, you are expected to pay taxes on the wine.

edit on 4/10/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I love making wines my favorite are the flower wines.. red clover is really nice and gorse..good luck

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

No see what I make is very cheap home brew. Very uncomplicated. Grape juice from Walmart in a plastic jug. Cheap bread yeast and sugar. Makes ok tasting wine for real cheap. That's it

Classic. It is toilet hooch then.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Look in this crazy world ud betr be getting drunk n high from time to time or ull go nuts

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

well I'm really tired of pretty much anything you'd get from the liquor store. It's all gross! It's dry bitter and really so blaaahhh. It's the same old thing. Contrast that to cheap home brew. It's AMAZING!!! It's sweet, it's delicious, you literally could drink endless amounts of it and not get bored of it. It's just incredible! I just can't believe the difference. Plus for me it's about 1/5 the cost. (I know I said 1/10, that's probably not accurate). But still I'm saving 80% on my wine now. For far better wine. You can't go wrong

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

wow that's crazy ahhh!!!

See I wanted to avoid that or just plain ruining it. So what I'm doing is just buying those samll jugs of juice. Like they're about 2 liters plastic jugs. Then using those. It makes 2 bottles of wine. Once I have that perfected which I think I'm finally there now, then at some point go to big jars like in your pic.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

ya but how expensive is that special yeast?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

sounds like way too much work. And I thought what I was doing was work and time consuming.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

what do you mean just have the bottle 2/3rd full??? hmmm
edit on 12-4-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

a reply to: Atsbhct

Most studies show a glass or two of red wine daily is very healthy. Plus it's a good drink to match with ur dinner meal.

And you can get the same benefits of the antioxidants from regular grape juice. Alcohol is a solvent, it kills living organic tissue. It reduces the amount of oxygen one gets to the brain, and scrambles the GABA receptors in the brain.

There's a reason it's used as a disinfectant. It's a toxic poison.

also that's what we're taught. You flip that 180, and realize it's extremely healthy. Sort of like drinking apple cider vinigar. Vinigar is also a cleaner and it's good for you.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

a reply to: skunkape23

ya but how expensive is that special yeast?

I understand the need to keep it cheap but you really do need something other than bread yeast.

It leaves an odd taste and will only ever produce low alcohol as has not been cultured to live in a high alcohol environment.

You can harvest yeast from "live beers" if you get them in your area or maybe look at starting a ginger beer plant.

Ginger beer is one of the cheapest ways of producing alcohol as it's just ginger, sugar and a "plant".

The plant starts with brewing yeast, water and sugar and you feed it every day to build it up. Then when you want to make ginger beer you take half and add it to water,sugar and ginger with some form of citric acid and maybe a few raisins.

The other half then gets a bit more sugar and water so if you keep it going you never have to buy yeast again as it continues to breed.

Be warned though home made ginger beer can easily hit 8% volume so don't glug it in pints or you'll spend more fixing your house than you save on buying beer!

Ginger beer is also good for fractional freezing. This is where you freeze your ginger beer and gradually take out the water(alcohol freezes at a different temperature than water and you can create a non distilled liqueur or spirit.

I would advise some heavy research before trying fractional freezing though as it can concentrate methanol and you really don't want too much of that stuff.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ya I might try some other yeast later, but the main point for me was to make it as cheaply as I possibly could. so I built my own airlocks etc etc. The only thing I had to buy was some plastic tube which is hard to avoid.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Viengar isn't quit in the same leauge as alcohol.

Yes, acetic acid bacteria is a polar solvent like ethanol -- but it's an acid, and much weaker on the biological/organic tissues of the body vs. ethanol.

There's a reason we disinfect with rubbing alcohol instead of vinegar. It's like nuking the microscopic landscape. Whereas vinegar is more like Atilla the Hun running wild and killing a some people, alcohol is like vaporizing every single living thing at once without regard to any type of living tissue (good or bad).

It also dehydrates you and shrinks your brain. Sometimes you can tell an alcoholic by looking at their CT scans, noting the size of the brain inside the skull. It's not definitive, but it is evidence to suggest alcohol use.

Alcohol may have been useful at low concentrations historically to make drinking water safe -- but we don't need it anymore to do that for us.

We can lie to ourselves and tell us that it's healthy, but it's just a lie because like the mood altering effects.

*shrug* Then again, just LIVING is hazardous to your health.
edit on 12-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I wanted to make wine from naseberries. I thought it was wonderful, similar to a chardonnay. My Darlin' said it tasted like socks. I don't know how she'd know that.

I wanted to make wine from acerola cherry juice. I did a little research this time, and acquired proper yeasts from a place that dealt with such things. I already had all the equipment from my beer brewing days. It was okay. The next time we had a cherry crop, I switched the yeast from a Pastuer red to a Montrachet yeast. The Montrachet is a slower-fermenting yeast and more accepting of higher temperatures (I live in the Caribbean). This time it was a complete success! I didn't used the campden tablets. I allowed it to naturally clarify, and then used isinglass left over from my beer making. The wine is stellar. Even my Darlin' loves it and compares it to a blush wine.

Distilling is easy -- that's just watching temperature. You could distill a mash of socks and sugar and make a high-proof liquor. Fermenting is chemistry and it is an art.

Suggestions:

1) Take copious notes. You want to be able to reproduce the experiment once you get it right.
2) Sterility is of utmost importance. A drop of sweat at the wrong time can absolutely ruin your fermentation. Really.
3) On the brighter side, no matter how contemptible your wine tastes, it's likely that no human pathogens survive, unless..
4) If you get string-like structures in your fermentation, pitch it out. It can't be saved.
5) Let it age. Nothing is "complex" or has "subtle nuances of lavender" at three weeks. If the goal is to get a buzz, then fine. If you want to make something truly drinkable and enjoyable, let it age at least six months in a cool place without sun.
6. Once you get it right, make a LOT. It's almost the same effort to ferment 5 gallons as to ferment 50 gallons.

Happy fermenting!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Some would argue, mostly because palettes vary. But it is generally agreed that wine has a flavor complexity that lends itself to food pairings quite well.

Because of this, and my clinical love of food (especially good food....you know what im talking about, i've seen what you cook), i enjoy some wine. Good wine, though. Not Welch's closet wine (not knocking ya, OP....just being honest on my tastes). This wine, if matured fully, would likely end up more like a zinfandel. Thats how White Zin is made....siphon off the juice to make a more complex wine with a high conentration of skins/solids. The juice...turned into White Zin.

But you're right: we don't need alcohol. And likely would benefit with much less of it around.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Btw

It's not hooch. That sounds like s cheap Mexican hooker. It's real decent red table wine. It's a sweet red.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Its just a name for it. you can take any fruit, some sugar/water, and yeast to make some alcohol.

Nothing wrong with it.
Its a quick way to get booze. And if you enjoy the taste, so much the better. But wine is a process that takes quite a bit more than 2 weeks, at least what is sold in bottles.

You wanna get really ripped, let it sit longer. The longer it sits, the more sugar the yeast will convert to alcohol. Itll also start tasting a bit sulphurish. You can get a good cross section of that sulfur profile for about 3 bucks by buying a bottle of Cul-De-Sac wine. Its terrible.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I found when I was younger that I could drink 2 bottles
of a $35 bottle and feel fine, but after 1 bottle of a
cheap one, I felt terrible.

Removing the noxious distillation products is a skill
probably not afforded to the home winemaker, but
it might be possible - I don't know.

It's good you can drink and drink and drink your
wine, without getting tired of it, must be good.

edit on 13-4-2016 by Drawsoho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Because of this, and my clinical love of food (especially good food....you know what im talking about, i've seen what you cook), i enjoy some wine. Good wine, though. Not Welch's closet wine (not knocking ya, OP....just being honest on my tastes).

One of the odd things when I had my restaurant (the BYOB location) was when a customer would bring me a bottle of their homemade wine and I would have to pretend, after the fact, that it was good. I have never had a bottle of homemade wine that I would pay for which is the benchmark I use for just about everything food/booze related, 'would I give someone money for this?'.

Most of the time I would reduce it down with a few cups of sugar and use it to poach fruit for desserts.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Drawsoho

Some people have a sensitivity to sulfites, which is SO2 -- sulfur dioxide -- found in trace amounts in wine. SO2 is a anti-oxidizer and also kills free bacteria and ambient yeasts. It's part of why I don't use campden tablets when I make wine. Campden tablets and other preservatives contain sodium metabisulfate...... no. Sodium metabisulfite.

Now, that said, not using any sulfites requires an incredible amount of sterility, and post-fermentation filtering, to inhibit the development of wild yeasts and bacteria in the wine. If a person is trying for something actually pleasant to drink, then they are going to have to age the wine. Unless a person is one of the few that are actually sensitive to sulfites, there is no reason to not use them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join