It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Ailing Kepler Spacecraft Puts Itself in Emergency Mode , Is This The End ?

page: 1

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:58 AM
Kepler mission engineers have declared a spacecraft emergency as latest contact with the telescope shows it has gone into Emergency Mode , the last contact with the spacecraft on April. 4th showed it was operating as was expected but this latest contact could signal the end of the long standing mission.

The mission has declared a spacecraft emergency, which provides priority access to ground-based communications at the agency's Deep Space Network. Initial indications are that Kepler entered EM approximately 36 hours ago, before mission operations began the maneuver to orient the spacecraft to point toward the center of the Milky Way for the K2 mission's microlensing observing campaign.

Kepler has given us so much to wonder at over the years and opened our eyes to many other planetary systems out there in the great void , if this is the beginning of the end then as sad as it is the mission delivered all and more of what we could expect from it , it's set the standard we should expect the JWST to live up to and surpass.
Updates will be released by the team as additional information becomes available.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:05 AM
a reply to: gortex

Not trying to sound like "That Guy" but...

Wonders if they may have seen/discovered something that they now want to consider it's ramifications while off grid. Releasing a story about how it's in EM would give them time to go over any suspected data.

Yeah, my mind goes there every time these types of stories are released.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:12 AM
a reply to: SLAYER69

Kepler has been limping for a while now I think this is more likely part of its inevitable demise.

I just hope James Webb meets its much delayed launch date of 2018 to give us more to wonder at.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:19 AM

I kind of have a weird attachment to Kepler. Being part of the Planet Hunters campaign, that ole girl helped me whittle away the hours when I found myself lost, pouring over it's data like thousands of others in the search for the transition of distant planets.

The closet I'll ever be to being an astronomer of sorts. Mind you, she's suffered huge blows to her maneuverability (gyro failure?) before but an army of brainiancs found a way to keep her going.

Hang in there ole girl.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:21 AM

I'm on the page you linked, there have been a few mission updates on it's fairly recent acitivites, limping along for a while or not it, seems to have been actively searching for and have found many exoplanets- over 5,000 with 1,000 or so confirmed and most recently was turned to the center of the galaxy I think.

Seems logical to postulate that if there are ETs or other signs of life on any of those 5,000+ planets this craft may be the one to discover signs of them existing. Which would be a major game changer..... no?

I know, probably just conjecture on my part.

I hope they straiten out whatever it is they need to to get it back in the game.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:31 AM

I believe if the James Webb Space Telescope lives up to expectation we will find evidence for ET sooner rather than later , JWST will be able to sample the atmospheres of other planets through spectroscopy so if they're there we should find them.

Kepler was a great planet hunter but now we're going after occupants , plenty of candidates out there to point JWST at thanks to Kepler.

edit on 10-4-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:39 AM

There is never a good reason why we should accept official announcements at face value no matter what the situation.

When "things" happen such that information or data cannot
entirely be concealed, then it must be explained in some acceptable fashion. I will point out, again, that the discovery of pulsars and quasars are two perfect examples of the way the system works. --And I don't even need to drag the UFO phenomena into it.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:06 AM
No , you are not "that guy" (unless I am one too) . I thought for a moment the same thought...What if.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:14 AM
I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens. They don't want us to see them.

Just guessing, could Kepler have been damaged by some solar activity or a micrometeoroid?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:22 AM
What if it was aliens that made Kepler go EM in the first place?

/throws onion

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:23 AM
They said that it seemed to be using a lot of fuel to maintain it's orientation / trajectory, which seems to be an indication it was hit by something.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:37 PM
Sad to hear this news, I always loved those new discoveries about new planets, weird star formations and binary starsystems .

There's enough data to process so they learned alot from Kepler.

The new age space telescopes will definitely give a beter view and probably more lifespan as Kepler got..

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:46 PM
Kepler provided us with hope and despair, our longing to extend our reach grasping towards the stars. I think maybe this is the end. Hhopefully she will be revived for a last chance to make a final impression that will last for lifetimes to come.

Sincere regards, Mannegishi.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:45 AM
a reply to: eriktheawful

They said that it seemed to be using a lot of fuel to maintain it's orientation / trajectory, which seems to be an indication it was hit by something.

That comes from a position of not knowing the history of kepler.
Kepler has 4 reaction wheels to maintain orientation. Three required, one as a spare.
One failed 7/2012. Another failed 8/2013.
Since then clever engineers have used software and sunlight pressure.
Emergency mode means the computer has reverted to very basic functions.
The emergency mode uses gas operated thrusters.
I'm guessing it's a memory failure.
Kepler likely uses flash memory which has a wear factor on read/writes.

Once the gas is gone it's over.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:39 PM
Contrary to fears of its demise Kepler is back up and running.

The team began the process of returning the spacecraft to science late on Tuesday. The process involved a succession of steps over the course of the next two days. The pointing tables and science targets—instructions that tell the spacecraft where to look and at what—were reloaded and confirmed, onboard logs and counters were reset and a new command sequence was created, tested and uploaded to account for the late start of the campaign. The spacecraft is now ready for science operations, officially starting K2's new gravitational microlensing campaign, known as Campaign 9 or C9.

I think that means they hit the reset button.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:43 PM

Thanks for the update, this is awesome news.

Kepler sure is a tough ole bird up there

new topics

top topics