It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

•Hydrogen-powered drone could be game-changer !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
This looks like it may be promising for all kinds of things and help us get rid of the sorry short lived batteries many things are forced to use. The cylinder seems large on this particular drone = weight; however batteries weigh too.
newsletter.thaivisa.com...
tech.thaivisa.com...

“On the top are the two fuel cell stacks – they need oxygen which is from the air, which is what the fans help – and underneath is the hydrogen. So, the hydrogen and the oxygen run across the fuel cell plates and produce electricity,” says Julian Hughes, Acting Managing Director of Intelligent Energy’s Consumer Electronics Division.

Intelligent Energy says it hopes to have its fuel cells on commercial drones within the next year. The company is also working with a smartphone manufacturer to create a phone that lasts up to a week on hydrogen fuel cells.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Uh... no thanks... Hydrogen is highly explosive. You crash that drone, and damage that hydrogen tank, you've got a lethal bomb on your hands.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

Uh... no thanks... Hydrogen is highly explosive. You crash that drone, and damage that hydrogen tank, you've got a lethal bomb on your hands.

first thing I thought of too... But evidently others think differently..

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

I remember long long time ago while in engineering school reading a book on the subject of fuel cell. It was saying that all fuel cells needed platinum metal as the catalyst. The thing that striked me was that it was saying that there is not enough platinum produced in the world to allow all car to be fitted with fuel cells.

My understanding is that even modern fuel cells (except some high temperature design) still need platinum metal as the catalyst.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

Hydrogen is only explosive when mixed with the right amount of oxygen. Leaking tanks might catch on fire in a crash, but they won't explode. The gas has to escape first, mix with air in a cloud to the right proportion, then be ignited. Burning hydrogen alone you get Hindenburg, mix the two gases, you get Fukushima.

Some pre mix them for ear ringing fun.

***Volume Warning***
Wndering how high the drones can fly powered by oxygen?
edit on 10-4-2016 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If they could build one that runs on flatus and hot air, THAT would be a game changer. Politicians would finally be worth something!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

INTERESTING, that would be wonderful for a diversion!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

That was not a pure GAS hydrogen tank they shot. They shot a tank full of metal hydride particles.

Shoot a pure gas hydrogen tank, and it will have a more forceful explosion than all of the tanks combined.

but thanks for trying...
edit on 10-4-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

That's a video of the tanks they use for fuel cells. Those tanks not exploding is right up there with the hydrogen being able to be used as fuel in these vehicles. I'm willing to bet there are entirely more efficient and lighter ways to get the same results now being that that video is quite old.

Gasoline is incredibly explosive under certain circumstances as well, there are measures to ensure that never happens in the vehicles we drive now.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

That was a neat video especially since I have never shot a propane or Hydrogen tank.. I am on you side simply because if the method of using hydrogen in the article was so dangerous I doubt they would be able to get approval for their method of propulsion.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Shoot a pure gas hydrogen tank, and it will have a more forceful explosion than all of the tanks combined.

No it won't. See the video I brought above. The balloon is a mix of hydrogen and oxygen. Pure hydrogen won't explode, just burn.

The Hindenburg burned, because the escaping hydrogen wasn't mixed with the right proportion of oxygen in the air, Fukushima exploded because the right mix of hydrogen and oxygen were trapped in the upper floors of the reactor building.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

INTERESTING, that would be wonderful for a diversion!

No smoking…

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I don't think you have a frikken clue what you are talking about, but its ok, keep pretending you know. The Hindenburg exploded... it didn't just burn.

I dare you to get a pure hydrogen tank and puncture it with an axe... Go for it.
edit on 11-4-2016 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The Hindenburg exploded… it didn't just burn.

Initially, it did. Because the hydrogen leaked from one of the bags, mixing with the air inside the blimp. When it ignited there was an initial explosion, the subsequent fire was from burning, not exploding hydrogen. That subsequent hydrogen went woof, not boom.

Fuksushima went boom because the trapped hydrogen at the top of the containment building was mixed with the oxygen in the building.

But read for yourself…

link to experiment

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
so they want drones to be mini hydrogen bombs?

new topics

top topics

join