It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Is Tipping Because of Climate Change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
You read it correctly, ATS. Scientists at The University of Texas at Austin have concluded that the Earth is tipping due t Climate Change. They claim that. melting water from the glaciers is throwing the Earth off balance

Around 2000 the pole took an eastward turn; it stopped drifting toward Hudson Bay, Canada, and started drifting along the Greenwich meridian in the direction of London. In 2013 Jianli Chen, a geophysicist at The University of Texas at Austin, was the first to attribute the sudden change to accelerated melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet. The result startled his team. “If you're losing enough mass to change the orientation of the Earth—that's a lot of mass,” says John Ries, Chen’s colleague at U.T. Austin. The team found that recent accelerated ice loss and associated sea level rise accounted for more than 90 percent of the latest polar shift. Of course that includes ice lost across the world, but “Greenland is the lion's share of the mass loss,” Ries says. “That's what's causing the pole to change its nature.”

This is an interesting development. What says ATS?

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

How much of this is science and how much is greenhouse hype?
The scientists are about as trustworthy as the government, especially when funding is involved.....
Id sure have to see the details...ask a few questions and mull it over before I buy a ticket....

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Can't huge earth quakes do the same ?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It's because they keep upping the Tip percentage when you go to a restaurant.
It's effecting the whole world.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Mankind will develop Tractor Beams to right the planet before any major damage is done. There was no problem with these climate change cycles until man came along and started building flimsy crap that can't withstand the natural phases our planet goes through. Wait a minute...it's not "our" planet. We're just squatters!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
N/M... nothing wants to work at the moment😭
edit on 9-4-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The climate is changing because the magnetic north has shifted 40 degrees, now knocking on Siberias door. The red dwarf star system entering our solar system will preturb our normal rotations, our satellites, and will warrant calm and vigilance in dealing with what is to com in July.

Keep your family safe.

Blessings & peace to your days ahead.

NN

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I guess it depends on where one looks...

Updated NASA Data: Global Warming Not Causing Any Polar Ice Retreat

Updated data from NASA satellite instruments reveal the Earth’s polar ice caps have not receded at all since the satellite instruments began measuring the ice caps in 1979. Since the end of 2012, moreover, total polar ice extent has largely remained above the post-1979 average. The updated data contradict one of the most frequently asserted global warming claims – that global warming is causing the polar ice caps to recede.

In late 2012, however, polar ice dramatically rebounded and quickly surpassed the post-1979 average. Ever since, the polar ice caps have been at a greater average extent than the post-1979 mean.

Now, in May 2015, the updated NASA data show polar sea ice is approximately 5 percent above the post-1979 average.

Forbes

I would also postulate it depends on who is funding the study.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
hmmm....wonder if this will change earths wobble?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
My initial thought is: obviously there are some other determining factors, like plate tectonics. How else would the axis differ from last time the poles melted, comparably? The poles are where the ice built up, because they ARE the poles, right? I may be wrong.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Your saying that the location of the ice was determined by the poles and not that the location of the ice determined the poles correct?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yes... I think

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu

Yes... I think

I totally agree with you.

I think there are more powerful forces then simple weight distribution involved. I don't know though... I've heard that when the ice melts land rises out of the sea and vice versa.

Who knows. I guess we're finding out.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Obviously, there are probably other contributing factors, but it was my FIRST thought after reading the proposal/finding... I don't know about land rising DUE to ice meltage... Sounds "plausible," since solid land is on top of molten land, but was that mentioned, correspondingly? I would actually think IF IT DID, the "wobble" would almost even itself out, because stuff floats, according to buoyancy... And stuff... Losing my train of thought/logic. Lol

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

have concluded that the Earth is tipping

What's the big deal, you know some of have been living in the Southern Hemisphere for awhile now?
You can come join us without paying for an airfare.

hahahaha

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

No your right 100%.

These findings are clearly BS and I heard that from Randall Carlson.

m.livescience.com...

The ice is melting so fast in Greenland that the giant island is rising noticeably as the weight is lifted. In some spots, the land is rising 1 inch per year.

See how the land compensates for the loss in ice by rising?

Does that mean the sea level stays the same?

And the weight distribution in fact.

This and sea level rise are debunked to me if true.
edit on 4/9/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Wait a minute...it's not "our" planet. We're just squatters!

Well under Law its called "adverse possession" and you get to stay for as long as you like if no-one lodges and objection. So barring the return of the Gods any-time soon, yes we get to stay!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Let's correct the Earth!

On three, everyone lean to your left.

One. . . . .two. . . . .

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

...as far as that last question goes, I'd have to guess no... Unless the ocean is in some kind of equilibrium with Earth's layer that has more water than our oceans... (Wormwood, or something?) It probably plays a factor, but I don't know enough about that...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I find this very unlikely if anything melting ice would have a stabilizing property. Since this allows mass to move to the equator. So I'm not sure I'm following their logic on this if the poles increased in ice I can see how this could effect thr earth and it's rotation. Wondering if they hadn't got this backwards somehow??

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join