It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ozzy Osbourne : No More Tears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
In my opinion one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded and without a doubt the best title track of any album.

For me No More Tears was the album Ozzy Osbourne's career was leading up to and the pinnacle of it , he had possibly the best band of the time in Zakk Wylde , Randy Castillo and Bob Daisley on bass although he was soon to be succeeded by Mike Inez , from the dirtiest opening riff of "Mr. Tinkertrain" and blistering solos of Zakk Wylde , Daisley's ear opening bass riff on "No More Tears" to the flawless drumming of the late great Randy Castillo the album was a musical tour de force.

No More Tears the title track is one of those songs that from the opening you know it's going to be good , sometimes I forget just how good.

And the aforementioned "Mr. Tinkertrain" featuring the late great Lemmy Kilmister.

Sometimes the memory doesn't do music justice.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Aww, yeah...agreed, gortex.

But there's something about the guitar at the beginning of 'Crazy Train' that is so good it defies words, lol.

It's all good.
jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I saw him on that tour at the Birmingham NEC , UK. It was my first proper gig.
Happy memories,

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ozzy ... and Meatloaf. Two guys with looks that belie their talent.

S&F for the memories.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Agree. Amazing album. (are we still calling them 'albums' or something else? I want to keep up). I didn't ever see Ozzie in concert, but saw him with Black Sabbath twice in 1973 and again in '76. Would have liked to been around for the reunion tour. A colossal amount of incredible musicians floated in and out of Black Sabbath.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I always liked "No More Tears" the opening guitar riff is so heavy. But my fav is with Sabbath, "Supernaut".

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Brings back memories of partying when this first came out ....good times ; before wife kids and responsibilities

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
In my opinion one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded and without a doubt the best title track of any album.

Oooh..now thats a tough one..Ozzy's solo career was amazing and picking a single hit out as the best of the best, etc is damn near impossible.
then his collaborations (Lita Ford's Close my eye forever)
..soo many good song...damn good stuff.
but
I gotta stay faithful to the thing that got him into the radar, and me interested in metal music to begin with.

Black Sabbath's War Pigs:

They were metal before metal was a thing..firmly against the war, etc. good stuff.
This came out before I was born, but you can take that song and pretty much the same beats, release it now, and voila..relevant.

so props to the origins. Ozzy has been a global metal treasure. not many groups will achieve what he achieved.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

They started the metal scene , trailblazers , so good , Ozzy said in an interview about the flower power movement going on at that time " im living around abandoned factories and such i dont see any damn flowers "

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Ozzy only had two great albums(or good for that matter) and they were Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman. Only one other song in the rest of Ozzy's entire catalog(sans Sabbath, I'm talking Ozzy solo) is worthy of mentioning and it's Perry Mason.

Bark at the Moon gets a honorable mention but the rest is crap.

Sorry, Gortex, but we will just have to agree to disagree.

If you wanna see some fun Ozzy, check this out. It ain't Randy but it's still cool. Love his headdress.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Bark at the Moon gets a honorable mention but the rest is crap. Sorry, Gortex, but we will just have to agree to disagree.

If you rate Bark at the Moon (Album and song) above No More Tears then I'll happily disagree there mate.
For me Bark at the Moon showed how lost Ozzy was without Randy Rhoads , it wasn't until No Rest for the Wicked and his discovery of Zakk Wylde that he started to find his feet again.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
For me, it's hard to pin down any particular 'pinnacle' of Ozzy's career.

The guy has pumped out so much good stuff over the years (in between the not-so-good)... if there's one thing his wife was damn good at, it was knowing how to re-create the Oz and bring him back into the spotlight, time and time again... keeping his career alive and kicking.

The Black Sabbath days though still tend to resonate more with me than his newer stuff:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

September 1969 Hall Green Technical College Birmingham UK.

I was a student at the college at that time. The Student Union used to arrange bands to play at the college on a Friday Evening.

That September a band called " Black Sabbath " had been booked to play. What i heard was a sound i had never heard before.

" Well this is novel " i thought to myself. " I can't see a band playing music like this ever going anywhere "

As they say....................the rest is history.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Man a good Ozzy debate. Sweet.

Personally the later ozzy albums featuring perry mason, no more tears, mr tinkertrain are awesome in the sense of how well polished the production was. Clean, simple, somewhat imaginative. Semi homogenized though in the way that the production values are even across the board on those albums.

The older ozzy, is less layered and raw. It also has more energy and raw emotion behind the songs. Its a toss up.

Its like comparing satrianis old material with his new material. His old stuff boldy imaginative, virtuosity oozing out of every song. His later stuff. Polished, but lacking that same raw energy. True the production values are better. His playing as solid as ever. But its a shadow of his earlier work.

Same thing with ozzy i feel.

Heres a good debate who was better randy or zakk. I leave the final score between the two as pretty even with zakk having a slight edge and therefore the winner. Randy rhodes was a great guitarplayer, but his real.strength was in his composition skills and what that added to the mix. Yes he could play some tough stuff but really his writting and riffs are where its at. All the best ozzy riffs in my opinion are the randy ones.

On the other hand zakk is a monster. His technical proficiency is far better than randys. He also carries more energy when he plays. Hes just seething with it. But zakks composition skills are lacking. So randy can write a better song. But anything he could write zakk could play better. I mean compare zakk playing randys solo in mr Crowley. Zakk clearly plays it better.. compare crazy train. Randys version dry and clean or zakks version with sauealing pinched harmonics everywhere.

Another good auestion in a battle between guitar players who would win a pinched harmonic contest. zakk or dimebag. Now thats a debate.

Hey you know whats fun to do. As a bassplyr double the lead guitar riff for crazy train pinched harmonics n all when playing the song live. The listeners goes wtf the guitar player using an octive peddle. Not man folks know the bass can do all those crazy harmonics too.

edit on 10-4-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hey all...I've never been a big fan of bands covering someone else's material, until I bought "Nativity in Black".
Megadeath does "Paranoid"...I think it's awesome!! (Go Mega-Dave!!)

The rest of the album is pretty heavy...definitely one of my favourites now.

Hell yeah...
jacy

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Just the song. So I have the first two albums and two songs outside of that and the rest is junk. Again, not counting BS in there, just solo work.

new topics

top topics

join