It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upgrading GPU

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A few years ago I got my first desktop, now it seems the GPU is antiquated and perhaps latter this year ill replace it, i was wondering if you people know hows it works, how do i know if my motherboard will be compatible with a new card?

so right now i got gtx 560 ti and the motherboard model is cg8565, i guess it got plenty of room in there and the power source is 700w, what you think i can put in there?

I don't know nothing else about this

ETA, maybe this the motherboard? www.asus.com...

edit on 9-4-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Download cpuz, or cpuid, free programs, they will give you all the specs on your hardware so you can better explain what motherboard you have and what the current socket is for the motherboard, and all the info people will need to better help you. Also type of ram and speed

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Biggest question is what kind of budget are you looking at for a new GPU?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Your motherboard is actually an Asus P8Z68-V, if you've got the Asus Rog Cg8565

Your CPU is the i7 2600k right ?

It's going to bottleneck whatever GPU you get, which is pretty much any of the top cards in single setup, your 700W won't cope if you want to go crossfire or SLI though. Also your motherboard being PCI 2.0 means you'll never get full bandwidth on the PCI 3.0 cards but they will work on PCI 2.0 but effectively 50% less bandwidth

There's some new cards coming out soon which will probably bring prices of current top end cards down, but for the CPU you have currently I'd say just get an R9 370

What are you using it for btw ? I'm guessing you don't really want to play the latest games ?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I'm not concerned by that at the moment, i want to know if for example I get a GTX980TI will it work in my rig?

is my motherboard obsolete too or can i slap any modern gpu (nvidia gpu)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Yes and No

Your motherboard is obsolete but you CAN stick as much as a Titan in if you wish just it would be a complete waste of money.

You need a completely new system to be honest
edit on 9/4/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Your PCIE slot should work with any of the above. The 980ti might push your PSU however. The sweet-spot Nvidia GPU right now is the 970 ( $300-ish ) and it would work fine with your system.

My advice, however, would be to hold off a few months. June is likely to bring us new lines from both AMD and Nvidia and that will open up either a better price for existing cards or what stands to be some really substantial gains in performance with the new lines ( The new cards will have some amazing VRAM improvements and small microarchitecture )

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I want to get an upgrade because the vram is a problem now, i was thinking a gtx 960, now i got sli but want to get a single card and in the next couple of years buy a new rig

if i get a gtx960 will it work on my stuff or its hopeless?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

A GTX980 will work in your system. However as Discotech stated, you're not going to get full use of it with your current MB. It will work, but the cards full potential will be cut by over half.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'm running a GTX960 OC on this machine ( 2 gig variant ) and, to be honest, the VRAM gets slammed in most AAA games. The 970 has 4 Gb of VRAM ( 3.5 usable ) and is just a hair more expensive than a 4 gig 960.

Even then... 4 gigs isn't going to have a long shelf life with AAA titles.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Yeah GTX960 will work, ANY card will work but your Mobo being 2.0 means you'll be getting half a card effectively.

You'll need a new mobo which means new socket so you'll need a new CPU, you could probably salvage the RAM and Hard Drive, I'd advise a new PSU as well.

You're basically looking at a new rig

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That's good advice to wait a bit longer. Nvidia's GP100 Pascal GTX 1080(?) is right around the corner. That will mean some good deals on the GTX900 series cards pretty soon.

That said, if a new card is needed immediately, I'd suggest a 750ti for the time being. It's a cheap and decent mid range card that will work until they're ready for a whole new build.

edit on 4/9/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yeah my old pc served me well, i was hoping to get a 150-200€ gpu with more vram and get a new pc in 2018

I want to play dark souls 3

Thanks for the help everyone

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Good god!
A $500 video card....ugh
I think I'll stick to my X box 360

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

You could get the new Nvidia shield, subscribe to Geforce Now and play DS3 via streaming from their gaming cloud when they get it on there. It's probably the only way you're realistically going to be able to play DS3 without a brand new rig and it would probably cost a little more than a new card but it would spread of the 2 years via subscription to geforce Now.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Maybe I'm having a moment...

How are you running 12 GBs of RAM in dual channel? Unless 8 of the 12 are a combination of two 4 GB sticks and you have a third 4 GB stick, I'm at a loss.

Does CPUZ display dual channel as long as 2 out of 4 banks are dual?

edit on 9-4-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

my pc got 4 ram slots, 3 with 4gb and 1 empty

a reply to: Discotech

Coop must be horrible streaming, my pc is actually ok for this game the recommended:

Recommended Requirements
OS: Windows® 7 SP1 64bit, Windows® 8.1 64bit, Windows® 10 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970

I just need the card, other is fine

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

With a little research, I found my answer. For anyone interested,

If the mobo supports flex mode it will run the two sticks in dual channel and the odd third stick in single channel mode, if it doesn't support flex mode then all 3 sticks will run in single channel mode, which will be a slight performance hit that you prob won't notice w/ 12 GB

Link

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

wait one of my ram is different? they all look the same

top topics

<<   2 >>

join