It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Powell: Troops Could Begin Leaving Iraq This Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Secretary of State Colin Powell stated that the U.S. could start bringing some troops home this year. However, it depends greatly on the Iraqi role in security. With the upcoming elections Jan. 30th, Iraq starts its role in establishing the country and taking its primary role concerning security issues country wide.

www.cnn.com
"With the assumption of that greater burden, the burden on our troops should go down, and we should start to see our numbers going in the other direction," Powell said in an interview with National Public Radio.

Powell said the elections -- scheduled for January 30 -- should not be postponed despite concerns about security in some parts of the country.

"The issue now is not more American troops or coalition troops for the long haul, but more Iraqi troops for the long haul, and that's where all of our resources and energy are now going," Powell said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Like it has been said before, these elections must go forth, no matter what the security concerns are. IF these elections dont go forth, it only delays the Iraqi government from getting a foothold of the current crisis and delays our troops from coming home.

Once the government grabs hold of the reins, sets policies in place, their sole concentration should be their guard force and security, not to mention the elimination of insurgency within its own borders. The faster they do this, diligently and concrete on their decision making policies, the faster this country will take full control and the sooner our troops come home. However, not all of them will return, meaning we will have a presence there for at least another 2 yrs with a 50,000+ force, but within 5 yrs, no more than a division(10,000) size element.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mscbkc070904
Secretary of State Colin Powell stated that the U.S. could start bringing some troops home this year.

And after a little while they'll be sent off to Syria.

Eventually more troops will realise that they're just pawns in Bush's little power games. And then lets see what happens.

Back in 1989 Troops once loyal to the despotic President Ceausescu of Romania actually had a lottery to decide who would be part of his firing squad. Methinks the US troops may well have the same lottery if Bush carries on with his little games.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I dont think Syria will be a military war, more like a political war, something that will be settled at a table. Syria cant afford a war, they would loose without even trying, however, they do have "dangerous" weapons that we dont fully understand what they are and their capabilities. Syria is one that should be settled at a table. Syria has alot to loose if they provoke, not so much US involvement, but overall in the Middle East. And if Syria doesnt do something about the BS, it will be their shortcoming. More or less, Bush will concentrate on the Iraq issue and bring as many troops home before his legacy ends in 4 yrs. His next issues should be focusing on Homeland Security and getting things up to par, healthcare, overall war on terrorism, education and other reforms that were started, need completion before his term is up. Basically wrap up what you started.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
"Syria cant afford a war, they would loose without even trying,"

I am not so sure that America could afford one any less than Syria, so I wouldnt be so positive they would lose. Taking on other countries at this time, I feel, would be napoleanistic, and in turn tragic!

[edit on 1/13/05 by c00ster]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Like other countries persay, Iran or N Korea?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Seeing as how the rest of the coalition is leaving, I don't think there is much of an option.

The Ukraine, Netherlands and Poland are all moving out in 2005.

en.rian.ru
According to the Ukrainian defense minister, March and April 2005 may see the withdrawal of the 72nd mechanised brigade stationed outside al-Suweira in Iraq, with the rest of the troops to follow suit within the next 2-3 months. The minister expects the pullout costs to be around $11 million.

Reuters: Dutch troops to exit Iraq despite pressure to stay
AMSTERDAM, Dec 21 (Reuters) - The Netherlands is sticking to its plan to withdraw its 1,350 troops from Iraq in March despite pressure from the United States, Britain and Japan to extend their mission, Dutch news agency ANP reported on Tuesday.

NY Times
WARSAW, Oct. 15 - Prime Minister Marek Belka of Poland narrowly survived a vote of confidence on Friday after telling Parliament, "We will not stay in Iraq an hour longer than is needed."

"Poland will reduce its contingent from the start of 2005 and will discuss subsequent reductions," Mr. Belka said during a speech to Parliament. But, he stressed, the withdrawal of some of the 2,500 Polish troops should not lead to instability in Iraq.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it. Powell may have the right intention, unfortunately he won't be in the administration to see it come to fruition. This is just another bit of "propoganda" before Iraqi elections.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have learn so far that what Powell wants is not what Mr. Bush wants, what Cheney and Rusmfled wants that is what Mr.Bush do, so I will be very skeptical on this one as usual, and sorry but Iraq is not stable now and is not going to be stable after their fix elections, I think hell will brake loose.

Sorry people but our troops will not have any rest in the near future.

top topics

join