It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
No its not irrelevant at all because if it's not full, any airline has the right to tell someone to move. Unless there wasn't a single seat on the plane, I don't believe for even a second 100 Americans would say no.

They can ask you. They cannot force you.

It's also not irelevant to the fact they oversell the seats, basically they have no problem telling someone to f### off if they have a PAID AND BOUGHT ticket and are AT THE AIRPORT. The speed you "check in" determines your attendance in that case. Owning the ticket means NOTHING. IMO if the fat man checked in first he should get the second seat, not the first man, because for the same reason I keep getting f###'d over at the airport when they sell my seat to someone that bought their ticket AFTER me checks in first.

Obviously you do not travel much or at all. If you get bumped you are due compensation which is typically 200% and/or up to $650 dollars one way. Most of the time they offer vouchers to customers prior to bumping people on oversold flights which can frequently be worth more than the ticket, I have taken these myself when I was not in a hurry to get somewhere and the next flight out was not too much later.

Also, the speed you get onto the aircraft for United is determined by what boarding group you are in and the amount of flying you do. You can check in 24 hours prior and still get bumped if everyone on the flight had higher flight status than you and checked in only 1 hour before the flight.

edit on 9-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

link   
There's a lot of people who seem to be making excuses for overweight people. I agree that there are some metabolic/endocrine conditions which cause weight gain, however this does not account for the huge numbers of morbidly obese westerners. Those who have these problems can (usually) adjust their lifestyle to minimise the weight gain. The nature of endocrine conditions means that fatigue and lethargy is common, however this can often be addressed with appropriate medications and lifestyle changes. It isn't an excuse for someone to be more than twice their ideal body weight.

I work in a job where fitness is key. Loads of the lads at work have rubbish diets and drink too much, however there aren't many bloaters. Why? We train most days. Our calorific intake is off set by our physical output. It takes a lot of work, particularly if you have a sedentary job but it is achievable. Those who have mostly office based roles get out in the evenings and smash the gym or the road for an hour after work. It's a mindset thing. It becomes part of your day and it stops being a chore after a while, particularly when you pass a full length mirror and can see your whole body profile without moving.

Unfortunately this takes effort and it is just easier to kick back and relax after a hard day at the office with some fried chicken and a beer.

As has been alluded to earlier in the thread, you don't seem to get quite so many metabolic problems in countries with less calorific intake. I've worked in several deprived Middle Eastern and African countries. Not too many fat blokes there, even in regions with access to Western style processed foods. They just eat less and have more active lifestyles.

Just saying...

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Im gonna open a hotel and charge twice as much for fat people to sleep on the beds. They cause twice and much wear and tear on the beds.

and people with big feet? They are hitting much more surface area on the carpet, causing more wear there, too. So they'll hae to pay to just walk into the hotel.

Maybe Ill run a taxi that charges to tote you around by the pound, with a flatbed option for those who are really rotund.

Start a cruise line, and charge you by how much water you displace.

LMAO, the last one made me actually laugh out loud.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

And the reality is you would be allowed to do all of those things since it is your company.

(They were all kinda funny for what it is worth).

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm going to start a charity to give free spandex to the obese.

FundMahSpandex

Then onward to Florida!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Maybe they tried to "squeeze" him onto the flight and the passenger next to him complained mid flight. Would you look an obese person in the eyes and tell them they're too fat to fly in one seat? Maybe the obese person tried to get a cheap flight and put stress on everyone around him.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

Maybe they tried to "squeeze" him onto the flight and the passenger next to him complained mid flight. Would you look an obese person in the eyes and tell them they're too fat to fly in one seat? Maybe the obese person tried to get a cheap flight and put stress on everyone around him.

I'd look the guy in the eye and tell him he better squeeze himself into his space between the arm rests as I am doing or pay for another seat, or move.
I'd be as blunt as I am on ATS and I'd get louder if he fronted me back about it.
I paid for my chair space, tough # if his isn't big enough for him, ain't my problem, it's his and the airline's.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

But 2 seats fatso

People like you and those who starred your post are a disgrace. You know nothing of this person not their genetics nor health but even if the person is just plain ole fat with no medical or genetic reasons your crude reference to him is the kind of thing one would expect from intolerant bullies or uneducated thugs. The reason the world is such a bad and sad place.

Your day will come.

Personally I am a big guy but not fat or overweight. The seats are ridiculously small even the kids look squeezed in they kicked me in the back all through my last trip.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
If they did this it would be an issue with equal rights as it pertains to company travel (eventually a fat person would sue for not getting advancement opportunities because the company doesn't want to pay twice as much for travel).

This already happens. It has been well documented that fat people appear less responsible and get hired less. They are also hired less because they'll medically cost more. You run a business, I'm sure you're aware of these considerations.

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Im gonna open a hotel and charge twice as much for fat people to sleep on the beds. They cause twice and much wear and tear on the beds.

You would probably be cheered for this, just read this thread. A lot of people hate those who are fat.

originally posted by: grainofsand
I'd look the guy in the eye and tell him he better squeeze himself into his space between the arm rests as I am doing or pay for another seat, or move.
I'd be as blunt as I am on ATS and I'd get louder if he fronted me back about it.
I paid for my chair space, tough # if his isn't big enough for him, ain't my problem, it's his and the airline's.

You sound like a wonderful human being.
edit on 9-4-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Something has to be done.

People either need to get fit, which wont happen, or future planes will have to start looking more like this:

Because there is no way that this:

can accommodate this:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

But don't impose that problem on the rest of us -- why should an airline have to make "extra" provisions for someone who is overweight?

www.friendshipcircle.org...
And yet they are expected to make provision for the disabled. I have no problem with people feeling they don't want large people taking their space, I have a problem with the child bully like language used to express that.

This is the guy and I think he likes himself just as he is.

edit on 9-4-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: AazadanYou sound like a wonderful human being.

What? For expecting the space I have paid for to be mine as agreed by contract?
For not wanting sweaty muffin-tops and fat legs touching me in my space which I paid for?
Heck yeah I'll tell a man it's his problem to fix, not mine, looking straight in the eye and employing any lawful means to defend the space I paid for.

...I don't care if that offends you

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Boohoo stop eating massive amounts of food and not working it off, that is how people get fat.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I fit in the seats just as they are and I do pay for my travel expenses, your argument is invalid

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

I ate all of this horrible food and stuff you speak of, but I WORK it off so I don't get fat. I'm in perfect health.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I might actually pay to see that.

Don't judge.

a reply to: Aazadan

Yeah, im familiar with that. But no, its not something that I participate or believe in. I hire brains, not faces. Well...unless you are picking at your face and making sores, that is. lol

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

There were two empty middle seats in a different part of the cabin, but the passenger who complained about the 385-pound Narvaez refused to move to one of them, the report said.

www.nj.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

You're right.

And that dude sitting on (not in) the seat should have never been allowed to get to that point without having someone turn him back.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

1. No, because bumping my seat is the same as telling me to metaphorically move.

2. Yeah because me being compensated has no bearing on me being told the one to move.

3. Everything I said is true in regard to what class you're in, no they don't just give First Class seats to people that check in first. Your stance is clear with so much deflection of good points. Wanna call me fat too?

4. I wouldn't be surprised if I traveled more than you. It happens all the time no matter who you are. Once I was bumped, and First Class was available so I took that. Most people can't even afford First Class so I'm going to go with myself being well traveled. I know every shortcut there is at DIA. I arrive 30 minutes before boarding.
edit on 9-4-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

The bookstore manager told the Huffington Post he purchased an aisle seat but the airline moved him to one in the center of the row.

There were two empty middle seats in a different part of the cabin, but the passenger who complained about the 385-pound Narvaez refused to move to one of them, the report said.

He recognizes that he is overweight but believes the airline could have handled the situation with more tact, like approaching him before he had to carry his belongings off in front of a plane full of passengers.

www.nj.com...

Errol Narvaez, who weighs 385 pounds, says he had never been told he is too big to fly in a single airline seat because of his size. Indeed, Narvaez says, he flew United in the past week for business from Newark to Orlando, Orlando to Houston and Houston to Las Vegas without any issues.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join