It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
The question was could he fit into the row as the basis, you answered it indeed.

Just because you can traverse the aisle does not mean you will fit in a standard airline seat, particularly if you are pushing 400lbs. Not sure what point you are trying to make. The guy would not have fit.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: imjack

Nope, you just seem butt hurt so I guess you are one of those miracles of science in the western world who are fat because they eat less energy than they burn?
It must be the work of Satanic magic lol

I already posted my weight in this thread, you're too ignorant and arrogant to read, other than childish retorts.

Are you gay?
We already know you're stupid.

I'm sure we can find something society hates about you.

The point is you don't bring it up.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Rubbish.
Less intake than burned and your body will draw on it's reserves of fat.
Cuz, you know, science.

Well....

If you understand how sugar impacts insulin response, and what that does to hunger....it actually become much more clear that the problem is the "one size fits all" dietary suggestions of the medical and political apparatus.

Unless you really think fat people like being fat.

The hunger issue is a different kettle of fish.
I'm telling you that if a human being has a calorific intake higher than needed to power the work of the body then it will store the rest as fat. A human being with a calorific intake lower than needed to power the body then it will draw on stored resources.

I refer you back to my sustained famine conditions with no fat people or skeletal bodies which appear 'big-boned'.
The perception of hunger is a separate argument, my original points continue to stand.

So then how does this myopic argument fit into this topic?

Is UA right for kicking him off the flight? If so, how did he fly into Vegas without being kicked off a flight? Is an airline free to make up policy as they go along, voiding any agreements (and adding to/taking away) on a whim and without notice?

Lets get back on topic. How people get fat is mostly irrelevant here. The issue is: are fat people to be afforded the same human rights that the rest of us are? are fat people to be afforded the same legal rights that the rest of us are? and are fat people afforded the same consumer rights as the rest of us?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's the combination of points. Was the plane full or do I have to explain the math of 1 person moving seats for 2 to be next to each other?

I agree he needed two, I never disputed that.

You're only 'too fat' if you cannot fit into the row.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

a reply to: imjack

Nope, you just seem butt hurt so I guess you are one of those miracles of science in the western world who are fat because they eat less energy than they burn?
It must be the work of Satanic magic lol

I already posted my weight in this thread, you're too ignorant and arrogant to read, other than childish retorts.

Are you gay?
We already know you're stupid.

I'm sure we can find something society hates about you.

The point is you don't bring it up.

Yep, butt hurt is my diagnosis

Fat people in the overwhelming majority of cases have a calorific intake higher than their daily bodily needs.
Get over it, or carry on whining that's incorrect, I'm easy, you amuse me.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

And you calling me fat and butt hurt is hilarious implications of your intelligence when I posted detailed points of my arguements you never addressed and my own weight.

You're on a Conspiracy website and your research is the equivalent of a kindergarten playground.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Was the plane full or do I have to explain the math of 1 person moving seats for 2 to be next to each other?

No idea, the article does not say if the aircraft was full and no one should be required to move if he did not purchase two seats ahead of time. United's policy is clear on the second seat requirement.

edit on 9-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Lets get back on topic. How people get fat is mostly irrelevant here. The issue is: are fat people to be afforded the same human rights that the rest of us are? are fat people to be afforded the same legal rights that the rest of us are? and are fat people afforded the same consumer rights as the rest of us?

Okay, travel on a plane is not a human right, go on, show me the part of your precious constitution that says it is, you can't.
Fat people exist and if their market is profitable then businesses will adapt. Right now profit considerations dictate what size seats are, and I'm happy with that, although you seem to wish for state intervention because of previous bail outs.

If I had an airline, or a theme park ride, I'd want to cram as many people on it as I could, unlucky, that is business.
The overwhelming majority of fat people are fat by personal lifestyle choice. Unlucky.
But carry on crying victim...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Okay, travel on a plane is not a human right, go on, show me the part of your precious constitution that says it is, you can't.
Fat people exist and if their market is profitable then businesses will adapt. Right now profit considerations dictate what size seats are, and I'm happy with that, although you seem to wish for state intervention because of previous bail outs.

If I had an airline, or a theme park ride, I'd want to cram as many people on it as I could, unlucky, that is business.
The overwhelming majority of fat people are fat by personal lifestyle choice. Unlucky.
But carry on crying victim...

Freedom of movement IS a right covered by th econstitution. Deny him a seat is infringing on that right.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: Kandinsky

It's a shame the way the airlines have changed over the years I remember when flying use to be a completely different experience.

Bout 18 months ago I was getting ready to move to Germany, I had to buy a couple of large kennels for my dogs, it was interesting after putting them together I sat in it and realized my dogs would have more leg room than me... kinda wish he could have had my seat.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Rubbish, his freedom of movement is across state lines and such like. Nothing about forcing private businesses to make seats larger than the average human to carry them.
Try again.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

If you'd just read the points I addressed that.

Basically if it was full hands down victory for discrimination because why should HE have to leave the plane and not the other passenger? He needed two seats. American Airlines oversells them so IMO that's enough reason to say their motive is profit AND OH THE IRONY the other man got to enjoy two seats on the flight if AA didn't sell it and I'm assuming THEY DID.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Nah. All i really want is for things to work themselves out before enough folks get pissed off and force legal change. Because when that happens, the impacts would ripple in ways you aren't even considering.

An abstract example: what will it cost to make elevators compliant with new standards when obesity is classified as a medically protected class? I happen to run a building from the 1920's, and the cost of keeping THOSE elevators up and running currently eats up, easily, 20% of my POM budget annually.

For the most part, I shed my pounds because I was smart enough to be able to process the information quickly and put it to action. A lot of folks have done it, and there is a lot of literature online about how (my blog included) you can go about doing it. So that's all behind me, outside of some small struggles that'll always be there for me. I can eat whatever I was as long as its not sugar, bread, rice, corn, or potato. So its not too bad. A lot better than being "waddle around and beathe heavy" fat.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Basically if it was full hands down victory for discrimination because why should HE have to leave the plane and not the other passenger?

The other passengers do not require two seats. Additionally, the man in question is not claiming he was discriminated against and said he would have purchased two seats.

American Airlines oversells them so IMO that's enough reason to say their motive is profit AND OH THE IRONY the other man got to enjoy two seats on the flight if AA didn't sell it and I'm assuming THEY DID.

It was United, not American. Maybe they did sell it, maybe not, either way, irrelevant.

edit on 9-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

It's that potential legal definition of 'protected group' of fat people that concerns me as well.
I reconsider my small barber shop chair example from a previous post in this thread. Will we be demanding barbers to buy plus size chairs now?!

...that elevator example is a classic of the problems with any nation eating itself into obesity.
It is a lifestyle choice in the overwhelming majority of cases and I do not think should have a say in what private businesses do, or do not do.

Oh, and well done with your own lifestyle choices

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Well, the philosophical issue i have is that humans are a quanta of 1. We are not a quanta of our mass, or our weight. We are a quanta of 1. The passage is for 1 person.

If my wife and I were the tiniest people on Earth, and could fit 2 to a seat....would that be allowed?

Yes, i know. They are a company that has an ability to make their own rules. However, it is also an industry that is regulated enough that I get groped by a government employee before I get on board. So you'd think at some point the regulations might start working a little in my favor, right?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Your charge by the kilo of passenger & luggage weight and volume thoughts are bang on.
How can a man who weighs more than me and my luggage pay less for his flight because my hand luggage is 3 or 4 kilos over the weight limit.
That mans fat is carried by the same fuel hungry engines as my hand luggage lol
edit on 9.4.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

link   

No its not irrelevant at all because if it's not full, any airline has the right to tell someone to move. Unless there wasn't a single seat on the plane, I don't believe for even a second 100 Americans would say no.

It's also not irelevant to the fact they oversell the seats, basically they have no problem telling someone to f### off if they have a PAID AND BOUGHT ticket and are AT THE AIRPORT. The speed you "check in" determines your attendance in that case. Owning the ticket means NOTHING. IMO if the fat man checked in first he should get the second seat, not the first man, because for the same reason I keep getting f###'d over at the airport when they sell my seat to someone that bought their ticket AFTER me checks in first.

Either way it's discrimination they have to BUY a second seat even with that last point. It's about attending, you telling me you paid for it means trash.
edit on 9-4-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

link   

Well, the philosophical issue i have is that humans are a quanta of 1. We are not a quanta of our mass, or our weight. We are a quanta of 1. The passage is for 1 person.

They have clearly delineated requirements for fitting into the standard airline seat. As you mentioned, their company, their rules.

As for the regulations, I think you probably already know how I feel about corporate welfare and government agents.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

If they did this it would be an issue with equal rights as it pertains to company travel (eventually a fat person would sue for not getting advancement opportunities because the company doesn't want to pay twice as much for travel).

I think even more, however, they would lose money. Think about how many fat people fly versus how many children fly. They want the "1 person, 1 ticket" to be the rule up until you exceed the seat size, then they want to take it out of your shorts.

Their company, their rules. Despite being a regulated industry. That is on the dole.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join