It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

I saw that too

The guy said a US airline had taken out a line of seats to create more room and people wouldn't pay the extra $$. They put the seats back in.

It looks like there's no reasonable way forward and things must remain the same.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

"Racism and highhandedness by airlines especially in the US is despicable, appalling and contemptible. "

How is this racism? Maybe I didn't see the memo that obese people were a race now.

Even the obese man didn't mention racism in the article.

I have flown many many miles going back and forth from the U.S. to Asia and thank goodness never had flab overflowing my armrest. I can't image 16 hours of that.

The man probably should have been told about having to purchase two tickets before boarding the plane, though.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrionHunterX
Racism and highhandedness by airlines especially in the US is despicable, appalling and contemptible.

Racism?
Fat is now a race? What country of origin is the fat-americans from? Fatistan? Porkington?

Rules are rules. cant fit in the seat, get a second or get walking. There is a cost for excessive obesity (outside of medical and early death)
edit on 9-4-2016 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Some of the comments on this thread are shocking.. I'm actually really disappointed at the attitude and ignorance of some of the members on this thread..

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001

I like your reponse and indirectly it has inspired me. I reckon I could purchase an airline to accomodate obese people. Install metre wide seats. Charge double of course. Install huge latrines and employ larger people as staff to work in larger aisles.

Meals could accomodate appropriate appetites, maybe a side of beef or whole roast turkey aye!

Whoa, I'm onto something here. And I wouldn't discriminate, even skinny people could fly if they desired.

BTBA - Bigger the Better Airlines.

Crikey!!!

Bally.

edit on 9-4-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrionHunterX

Really? So you throw a guy out from the plane? Why wasn't he informed before boarding the flight? This is outrageous! Racism and highhandedness by airlines especially in the US is despicable, appalling and contemptible.

You eat, you get fat. Simple as that. People can cry medical condition all they want, but fat is stored food that the body did not burn off.

If you are too fat to fit on the seat that fits normal sized people, get off the plane and buy two seats like the airline asks. Or lose weight.

Harsh but true - nothing is more unbearable that sitting next to a morbidly obese person wheezing away, stinking you out with their sweaty armpits taking up your space on a plane. It's even more horrific if you are in the window seat and you need to get past them to get out.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Hey, star mate.

Tell me about it.

Regards,

Bally

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
“I never want anyone to treat me like that again“. then maybe quit being a glutton. you make your bed you lay in it. just how it is.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Wow..What a horrible and abusive thread to read..

Personally I have had weight issues in the past, have never been glutonous or greedy but I had a lot of psychological issues around food, which stemed from my childhood.
I had to deal with those, which was f-ing difficult to say the least, and to be honest I still struggle with it these days.
Every day is a battle for me and I still have to avoid certain places and situations.. and it has taken years of hard work to overcome this sickness.

There is an illness behind it and Im sure 99% of people do not want to be overweight, which in itself causes more psychological and physiological issues to deal with.

Honestly I think a few people here need to take a step back and have a look at themselves and these ignorant beliefs.. many overweight people are genuinely sick, even though they may not realise it themselves.
And some of the comments here are no different from racism, and it astounds me that it is something that is somewhat acceptable in society.. even though abusing people for most other things is frowned upon..

edit on 9/4/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think this is the way forward. I would personally welcome this idea of adjustable bench seats. Would also be good to have this design in cinemas and theatres.
bench seats

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Soooo..

Book two seats then.

Fat people are very good at playing the victim. But y'all know that the seats on planes are tiny, so take a reality check and be honest with yourselves instead of being inconsiderate SOB's.

And FYI, I used to be a travel agent. I had no issue with booking fat people two seats on the plane - I was actually relieved to think that they had the common sense to understand that you just cannot fit 10lbs of mud into a sack designed for two.

Although I was just a little aghast when one lady asked that since she booked two seats, would she be getting two meals?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Someone could start a new airline for fat people. Then they can kick off the plane skinny people and tell them if they don't take up enough room for 2 or 3 people, then they have to buy dinner for all onboard. Seems fair.
They could serve one of those giant whole barbecued hogs cooked whole, the glazed ones with a big apple in it's mouth.
Big-and-Tall Airlines! "Getting even with skinny people"

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

People can't help what colour their skin is

But people can help what foods they eat and how much exercise they do

So yes it is different

Being fat is a choice, medical condition or not we all choose what food we eat, how much of it we eat and whether or not we do exercise

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

Economics is the issue on planes - this has been addressed.

Although Air New Zealand has actually got something like that - the sky couch (you have to book it though at the price of roughly three seats)

www.airnewzealand.com.au...

If a fat person takes up the space of more than one regular sized passenger, then they have to pay for that extra space. It also helps prevent another hidden danger - the plane being too heavy to fly safely. I'm not kidding, it does happen. There was even a crash caused by this back in the day when small airlines used to calculate weights based on averages.

Plane could have crashed because of obese passengers

Very full flights with a decent number of overweight people can push the limits of safety unless said people have booked two seats.
edit on 9-4-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Soooo..

Book two seats then.

Fat people are very good at playing the victim. But y'all know that the seats on planes are tiny, so take a reality check and be honest with yourselves instead of being inconsiderate SOB's.

And FYI, I used to be a travel agent. I had no issue with booking fat people two seats on the plane - I was actually relieved to think that they had the common sense to understand that you just cannot fit 10lbs of mud into a sack designed for two.

Although I was just a little aghast when one lady asked that since she booked two seats, would she be getting two meals?

I've never had an issue with seats on planes, ive never been that big to warrant 2 seats.
And yes.. its common sense if you can't fit in 1 seat, you do need 2.. that's not my point, my point is the level of ignorance and uncalled for abuse in this thread..

, so take a reality check and be honest with yourselves instead of being inconsiderate SOB's.

And wtf is this supposed to mean.. is that really necessary?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
I've never had an issue with seats on planes, ive never been that big to warrant 2 seats.
And yes.. its common sense if you can't fit in 1 seat, you do need 2.. that's not my point, my point is the level of ignorance and uncalled for abuse in this thread..

Then you are not the sort of person that 'fat' applies to. I am talking morbidly obese here - 140 kg plus range

And wtf is this supposed to mean.. is that really necessary?

Not aimed at you, so don't get all precious please. I'm talking morbidly obese here.

If you are carrying a few extra pounds like most of us and can comfortably fit in the normal sized seat, I'm not talking about you personally.

edit on 9-4-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

People can't help what colour their skin is

But people can help what foods they eat and how much exercise they do

So yes it is different

Being fat is a choice, medical condition or not we all choose what food we eat, how much of it we eat and whether or not we do exercise

Honestly mate its not that simple.. and silly of me to think people would understand.
When you have an eating disorder there are a lot of psychological aspects to take into consideration.

Food addiction is one of the worst addictions out there and it is a real problem in society. We are bombarded daily with food from every angle, and It can not be avoided in life as we all need to eat.

Those who have had an addiction in life wether it be a alcohol, drugs, gambling will have more of an understanding as to what I'm saying..

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Soooo..

Book two seats then.

Wait a minute....I agree that if a person takes up more then one seat it is reasonable for them to have to pay for two. But in the case you mentioned... If the person paid for two seats the person was entitled to two meals. The cost of the meal is covered by the price of the seat...so yeah if that person wanted two meals they should get them.

I do feel sympathy for overweight people though...I am sure that a lot of them probably have some strong genetic disposition toward being overweight. The reason I say that is because I am skinny and I couldnt be overweight if I wanted to be and it is not the result of me exercising any great self control. Both of my parents were thin so it is my genetic disposition.

So I am sure the opposite situation must occur as well although I do think that modern life has contributed greatly to a trend of overeating because food is too convient and it tends to be too calorie dense...couple that with a more sedentary lifestyle and it is the perfect recipie for an obese population.
edit on 9-4-2016 by HarryJoy because: correct wording

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I've had an eating disorder but mine was the opposite of being overweight. I joined the 12 step fellowship OA, which helped me immensely. In my fellowship there were overweight and obese people that were no different to myself. Although our habits around food were different, we all had that same disease. And that's exactly what it is, a dis-ease.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: misscurious

Eating disorders are treatable addictions - as you have found out. And go you for overcoming your crushing disorder

Anyone who has the courage and fortitude to overcome their addiction is a true winner in life.

However this line of argument is only muddying the reasons for being overweight with the elephant in the room - being too big to fit in a plane seat.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join