It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fingerprints to be tested as ‘currency’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Starting this summer, the government(Japan) will test a system in which foreign tourists will be able to verify their identities and buy things at stores using only their fingerprints.

The government hopes to increase the number of foreign tourists by using the system to prevent crime and relieve users from the necessity of carrying cash or credit cards. It aims to realize the system by the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The experiment will have inbound tourists register their fingerprints and other data, such as credit card information, at airports and elsewhere.

Tourists would then be able to conduct tax exemption procedures and make purchases after verifying their identities by placing two fingers on special devices installed at stores.

the-japan-news.com...

I'm just getting used to Apple Pay.

I guess fingerprints and eye scans will be the ultimate non-cash tool. It would be simple just to go into Giant Eagle, shop and then checkout with just my finger.

This will be a good tool to aid against terrorist. If someone that has terrorist ties tries to buy something in person or on line, they will have to do so with their fingerprint which will immediately alert the Police.

This is better than a chip. There's privacy concerns but something like this may be unavoidable. As Big Data increases, paper currency will just be a big waste.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This is really stupid, if it only uses a fingerprint for transactions, and not a 2-step system. It's incredibly easy to get someone's fingerprint and use it to fool fingerprint scanners.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I foresee a future trend of crime where a bunch of rich peoples hands end up missing. A whole new definition for identity theft.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It's not often I see someone advocating for cashless society on ATS...

I say no thanks. It is already easy to buy things with cash or debit/credit cards. So easy in fact that many people are in debt. There a whole host of other issues, but if you want to hand over your fingerprints and data to governments and companies I say go for it. Just don't force me to sign up for this nonsense.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I for one would much rather someone steal my wallet, than my hand. I hope this doesn't become mandatory in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Its so sad that some cant seem to use the past to anticipate what the future may be like. Its just so sad for humanity that peoples rights, privacy, choices and options are being stripped away and the masses of people agree with it just because the govt tells them its good for them.

Cashless is definitely coming unless we can stop it.

It will record every transaction you ever make in your life. A a complete list of what, how much, when where and quote possibly way, you purchased everything you ever purchased in your life.

This is because analysis of the data tell so, so much about you, the sort of person you are, are you a possible threat to the govt or not, do you eat healthily or not which will determine whether or not you get health care or not. Do your kids eat healthy food (as they define it) and so it will enable them to judge whether or not your a suitable parent for the kids in your care. etc etc.

Why do people want this state of affairs to come about? OHHHHH I know !!!!, its so they can identify and prevent potential terrorists, terrorists, terrorists, terrorists, terrorists, terrorists, after all, this kind of analysis is only ever going to be carried out on someone else, it will never happen to ME... My govt cares about me, they care about my physical security, they want me to save and protected.

How do I know it will never happen to Me! Because I have done nothing wrong and I have nothing to fear so this kind of analysis is only ever going to be applied to the purchasing history of BAAAAAAAD people, never me, goodness gracious.

Question? where do people get the idea from that its they themselves who is going to determine whether or not they have done anything wrong or have anything to hide ????????????

Why do they think this? Because they have been trained up to think that way by the media who used the phrase "If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about do you AND THEY BELIEVED IT.

Notice this phrase is not used in the media anymore? well, that's because they got all the rights and privacy stripping laws they wanted passed up and running now, they don't need to use that phrase anymore.

How so so silly can people be?????????? If defies explanation and common sense.

So who will determine if I have done something wrong or not. Well, the first person will be someone sitting in front of a computer screen anywhere in the world perhaps even Israel, perhaps even Sadai Arabia who knows, may be even India or Packistan.

The second person who will determine whether or not you have anything to hide will be bloke wearing a suit sitting opposite you in a police station with their face in their face and a knife in their hand.

YOU WANT IT, YOU WILL GET IT, mark my words. copy and past this post in your computer somewhere, keep it and read it again in 5 years time and then again in 10 years time if you have not destroyed it out of fear of being arrested for having terrorists, terrorists, terrorists, terrorists material on your computer.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Recently i stumbled on a site which states:

As genetic databases become increasingly common in other countries (over 60 countries are now operating one) the sharing of data between international police forces is likely to increase. This may increase the vulnerability of databases to abuse and hacking. It also introduces the challenge of differences in the rules for holding data which vary greatly between different countries. Although one standard may apply in the UK, it may not apply elsewhere.

Is it ethical to have a National DNA bank ?

Recently there was a thread here named "Scientists encode, retrieve 10,000 gigabytes stored on DNA molecules". Inside it states :

Researchers said DNA molecules can store information many millions of times more densely than existing technology for digital storage, such as flash drives and hard drives, as well as magnetic and optical media.
Abovetopsecret Thread

Is it far-fetched to assume, that the experiment starting in Japan, is a prelude to a future "Genetic Fingerprint" payment system ?

Peace

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

i foresee a lot of 9 fingers tourists in japan once the Yakuza get wind of this. they all ready chop off their own,and that's just for doing something dishonorable.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
No.

Before you are led into the slaughterhouse, you will be fingerprinted and cataloged. Now they want to make you pay for the honor.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
My husband and I thought we would splurge and use a fingerprint lock for our front door. It was a disaster and frustrating! If you have ever had to swipe your card multiple times in line because the reader didn't work right...this will be 10x more frustrating!

Tourists best have a back up plan available...I can only imagine it would be more frustrating for them if they find themselves literally cashless and stuck in a foriegn land!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
well Finland i believe has a different bio metric system. using your vein patterns. And your hand has to b e attached to your arm to work and under pressure.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
we got a fingerprint reader at cafteria where i work i loaded 20 dollars on my account and before break cut my finger it took a week before my finger was healed up enough to use my finger on the scanner and thye cut was not a bad one.

top topics

join