It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is 'Star Wars' now a vehicle for constant feminist propaganda?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Although I started the following thread, I had a little hope that somehow I was wrong or at least it wasn't the beginning of a trend.

"The Force Awakens" Really Is Feminist Propaganda

However, after watching the official teaser trailer for the upcoming film "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story", all I can is, "Once is a fluke, twice is a trend."

www.youtube.com...

Yep, we've got feminist propaganda once again with the same basic message:

The heroine is superior and great because she's a woman.

Just as with "The Force Awakens" the heroine is not a Jedi. Her superpowers are coming from something else, what it could be...I smell money.

I smell money because feminist propaganda obviously sells and apparently all that Star Wars is about now is money...and social engineering, this is Disney after all.

As a conspiracy researcher, this is how I watch a Disney movie...

Proof that this is feminist propaganda in three pictures:

The heroine can fight in the dirt with the men. Because, that's where men belong, fighting in the dirt. But, the heroine is so awesome she can go to that low level and succeed in it if she wants to.

But, the heroine ultimately is the coolest of the cool, a goddess among men (who belong in the dirt). However, being a superior being she can go in the dirt with the boys if she wants to. And, you can see clearly that she's in one of the Empire's ships in the picture above. The message:

This superwoman can take on the whole Empire herself (and I'm sure she'll succeed). The picture below has the same message.

The heroine can take on stormtroopers and single-handedly beat up a whole group of them. How can anyone look at the three pictures above and not call this trailer feminist propaganda?

Why do I claim that the heroine is superior and that this trailer is feminist propaganda?

She's superior because she's in her mid-twenties and she's being chosen to carry out a crucial task that must succeed, where people's lives are on the line. She's given a mission that she could not be qualified for, under the normal definition of "qualified."

Now why would she be chosen for that job? The trailer starts with her superior giving a list of her weaknesses. The heroine is "reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined." She supposedly committed the following crimes:

Forgery of Imperial documents
Possession of stolen property
Aggravated assault
Resisting arrest

But, despite that she's chosen to do a job that there's no way she could be qualified for at her age which means she's being chosen for her superiority in some way.

What could that superiority be based on? It's exactly what I wrote, "The heroine is superior and great because she's a woman." She is not a Jedi but she's showing Jedi-like superpowers based on what? I propose that it's based on her womanhood. What else could it be?

The superiority is revealed in the entire trailer. It's portrayed as if she alone is taking on the Empire herself.
edit on 8-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

What gives you that impression?

I ask because I don't see anything besides a female lead, which isn't out of the ordinary.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
See the funny little guy in the orangy circle?
That's how I picture your expression after watching the Rouge trailer,,"a girl? again?,,,NOOOOOARRRRGACH

Men have had the limelight for thousands of years & you're going to begrudge a couple of silly films that don't mean a damn thing.
All because of "whatever" issue you have with females.

That's a strange obsession.

K~

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I guess at my age ... it just doesn't matter what gender the movie hero/ine happens to be.

ETA: S&F for you. I hadn't seen the trailer yet and it looks like it's gonna be another Star Wars flick that tops any of Lucas'.

So there.

edit on 842016 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

How dare Hollywood ever portray a woman as anything other than a damsel in distress! The nerve!

Nick at Nite still shows Leave it to Beaver reruns so you can get your fix of 50s housewife stereotype in. Just FYI.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

You're just now getting that? A bit slow on the uptake, eh?

But no worries. We men are still better at everything. See?

edit on 2016 4 08 by incoserv because: added pic

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry. Darn cell phone. Never happens on the computer.
edit on 2016 4 08 by incoserv because: Double post

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I'm not sure you watched the same trailer as I did...

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I read your other thread. You're premise for calling The Force Awakens feminist propaganda could have been summed up in one line: she can do things without training.

All but one of the things you listed is directly related to the Force and that is piloting. What you seem to be ignoring is that she obviously had prior experience. Remember the banter between her and Han regarding the modification to the Millennium Falcon?

Everything else is a result of her ability to harness the Force and if you'll recall (assuming you actually watched the movie — did you?) Ren was shocked by her natural ability. A few things about the Force and Jedis/Siths that you seem to be either unaware of or ignoring:

1. Jedis/Siths possess natural abilities. The training is to help them learn to strengthen and control these abilities.
2. The abilities stem from higher concentrations of midi-chlorians than other people.
3. The concentration of midi-chlorians seems to have some hereditary link.

Luke Skywalker is almost certainly her father. Her mother is an unknown. It's obvious that she has a uniquely high concentration of midi-chlorians and that she's got a fate of some sort to serve the force, probably to "restore balance" or some such.
edit on 2016-4-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

What gives you that impression?

I ask because I don't see anything besides a female lead, which isn't out of the ordinary.

Proof that this is feminist propaganda in three pictures:

The heroine can fight in the dirt with the men. Because, that's where men belong, fighting in the dirt. But, the heroine is so awesome she can go to that low level and succeed in it if she wants to.

But, the heroine ultimately is the coolest of the cool, a goddess among men (who belong in the dirt). However, being a superior being she can go in the dirt with the boys if she wants to. And, you can see clearly that she's in one of the Empire's ships in the picture above. The message:

This superwoman can take on the whole Empire herself (and I'm sure she'll succeed). The picture below has the same message.

The heroine can take on stormtroopers and single-handedly beat up a whole group of them. How can anyone look at the three pictures above and not call this trailer feminist propaganda?

Why do I claim that the heroine is superior and that this trailer is feminist propaganda?

She's superior because she's in her mid-twenties and she's being chosen to carry out a crucial task that must succeed, where people's lives are on the line. She's given a mission that she could not be qualified for, under the normal definition of "qualified."

Now why would she be chosen for that job? The trailer starts with her superior giving a list of her weaknesses. The heroine is "reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined." She supposedly committed the following crimes:

Forgery of Imperial documents
Possession of stolen property
Aggravated assault
Resisting arrest

But, despite that she's chosen to do a job that there's no way she could be qualified for at her age which means she's being chosen for her superiority in some way.

What could that superiority be based on? It's exactly what I wrote, "The heroine is superior and great because she's a woman." She is not a Jedi but she's showing Jedi-like superpowers based on what? I propose that it's based on her womanhood. What else could it be?

The superiority is revealed in the entire trailer. It's portrayed as if she alone is taking on the Empire herself.

originally posted by: aethertek
See the funny little guy in the orangy circle?
That's how I picture your expression after watching the Rouge trailer,,"a girl? again?,,,NOOOOOARRRRGACH

Men have had the limelight for thousands of years & you're going to begrudge a couple of silly films that don't mean a damn thing.
All because of "whatever" issue you have with females.

That's a strange obsession.

K~

I don't want to see "Star Wars" turned into a vehicle for cheap propaganda. Some of my favorite films have female heroines, I don't even think about that. IF it's done as valid art and not just done as cheap propaganda.

The irony is, Disney has a great tradition of making propaganda seem like valid, virtuous art. I guess it just isn't translating into their work with "Star Wars."

originally posted by: incoserv

You're just now getting that? A bit slow on the uptake, eh?

But no worries. We men are still better at everything. See?

Not in Lucas' version of "Star Wars" IMHO, especially the original trilogy.

Gender is the most important clue. The Original Trilogy has a shortage of women when considered by the standards of a two-sexed mammalian species. Leia is the most prominent female, and the only one to feature in all three movies. Aunt Beru and Mon Mothma also have named speaking roles. Aside from these three, I can’t think of another definitely-female-definitely-‘human’ in the series. In RotJ Leia describes her mother, who is obviously a queen. These females all possess at least local political and social authority.
Star Wars: A Long Time Ago, in a Hive Far Far Away?

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I read your other thread. You're premise for calling The Force Awakens feminist propaganda could have been summed up in one line: she can do things without training.

That's not true at all. You have to look at how the entire script was written, scene by scene. The feminist propaganda angle is everywhere and it's incorporated into everything. That one point was just one of the most glaring.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

This again? Why is it so hard to see a female in a lead role kicking ass? This trend started a long time ago, it didn't begin with the lastest Mad Max and Stars Wars isn't breaking new ground.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not just Hollywood, but Disney itself! Disney, the film company known for its damsel in distress!

Disney is becoming progressive? How dare they!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not just Hollywood, but Disney itself! Disney, the film company known for its damsel in distress!

Disney is becoming progressive? How dare they!

How is cheap, obvious propaganda "progressive"? I did a couple of Google searches to prove my point:

"The Force Awakens" feminist = About 577,000 results

"The Force Awakens" feminism = About 487,000 results

How is it "progressive" to create a film with propaganda so heavy-handed that everyone who is paying attention can see what's going on?

...where the discussion of the propaganda angle sometimes overshadows any discussions about the film itself?

How could something like that help anyone's cause?

And, I would like to know why you personally would support inserting propaganda-type messages in films? Do you think that's alright?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Meh. In the US there's slightly more women than men, maybe Disney is projecting ways to optimize earning potential on these films with gender targeting.

Damn Hunger Games for turning a massive profit!

ETA: I'm going to take this one step further and imagine I'm sitting in the Disney boardroom dreaming up the female lead for this move; I'd say something to my colleagues about showing the folks in China, India and the Middle East that in the West we greatly value women so let's have our popular films reflect our values, while holding the mantle of progressiveness and turning a pretty penny.
edit on 8-4-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
They just seemed like fun sci-fi films with a female protagonist.

If it really bothers you I guess, don't watch them, that's always the option with entertainment that one doesn't approve of.

I'm not sure I see the propaganda as much as it's just a strong female lead character.

I did a google search and:
"The Force Awakens" +feminist about 7 results
"The Force Awakens" +feminism about 43 results

I'm on a work computer, but I doubt that matters (the Boolean operator matters, however...)

edit on 8-4-2016 by Elton because: Google Search

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I know, right? Personally, I love strong women and I prefer seeing powerful female characters. X-Men related comics were my favorites growing up because they had strong women characters and multiple ethnic groups & nationalities.
edit on 8-4-2016 by enlightenedservant because: slight typo. thanks rubio...

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
People are jumping on me and acting like I have a problem with women because I'm pointing out that the latest "Star Wars" films are feminist propaganda. The following proves that it's not just me (concerning "The Force Awakens" at least):

"The Force Awakens" feminism = About 487,000 results

I learned of the feminist angle from something on online before I even watched "The Force Awakens." Because of the evidence, I agreed with the theory. Now I'm proposing that the latest "Star Wars" film is presenting the same kind of propaganda.

Reading the attacks above in this thread has helped me to understand the real problem I have with this situation is the fact that the art component of "Star Wars" is taking a backseat to making money. That's what we should expect when a corporation takes over a series that previously had been the vision of a great artist who was primarily concerned with art above all else.

The feminist propaganda angle is not the only propaganda angle I see in these films but it's one of the most obvious ones so that's what I'm focusing on.

The thing that really bothers me about all this is the fact that "Star Wars" is being turned into a money-making machine where art is being pushed to the wayside. George Lucas admitted it IMHO:

In an interview with Charlie Rose, George Lucas spoke about everything from his and Disney’s branching vision to the deal itself. Lucas, who has always been protective of his series and even refers to them as his “kids,” hasn’t been looking back well on the deal with Disney (via Collider).

“I sold them to the white slavers that takes these things, and…,” Lucas said before laughing and deciding it better not to finish. (See the interview below. Lucas mentions the “white slavers” around the 50-minute mark)
George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’

I suppose I'm just getting over my disappointment concerning all this.

"Don't see the films", you say?

I won't be able to watch this newest one, it's too lame.

My only hope is that some day Disney will put art in the forefront again when it comes to "Star Wars."

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Lmao! I can do a google search about literally anything and come up with millions of results but that don't make it true!

Jesus!

Get off your woman hating horse, it stinks!
edit on 8-4-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Its a matter of how its done the female hero in the most recent Mad Max movie rocked and was the definate star same as Resident evil the heroine there also rocks,if its done well the fact the hero is a girl isn't a primary register.Actually I think the most recent Star Wars movie was more pushing the envelope with an african american hero.Sometimes we see too much in things I wont panic till I see Kaitlyn or Bruce or whatever Jenner with a light sabre

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Lmao! I can do a google search about literally anything and come up with millions of results but that don't make it true!

Jesus!

Here are the number of results for the following Google searches:

"The Phantom Menace" feminist = About 192,000 results

"Attack of the Clones" feminist = About 90,900 results

"Revenge of the Sith" feminist = About 108,000 results

"Star Wars" "A New Hope" feminist = About 94,100 results

"Empire Strikes Back" feminist = About 90,400 results

"Return of the Jedi" feminist = About 136,000 results

"Star Wars" "The Clone Wars" feminist = About 39,800 results

We see over a 300% increase in search results compared to the Star Wars film with the next highest total. I'm not using an appeal to popularity fallacy here. You're taking what I wrote out of context if you claim that. I was pointing to the above in the context of the following questions:

How is it "progressive" to create a film with propaganda so heavy-handed that everyone who is paying attention can see what's going on?

...where the discussion of the propaganda angle sometimes overshadows any discussions about the film itself?

How could something like that help anyone's cause?

And, I would like to know why you personally would support inserting propaganda-type messages in films? Do you think that's alright?

Get off your woman hating horse, it stinks!

Doing an analysis of the messages and meaning of a film is labeled "hating"?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join