It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally some good news for humanity.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Nobody put this up yet and honestly I don't care if this gets taken down as long as someone does a better than job than I at presenting this information. Everyday the bad news the talking heads the morons in the news.

Say what you will about Elon Musk and his ventures. This man has a vision and he is doing what so few with his ability and financial status do for expanding humanity.

Let's give a huge round of applause for this engineering team and Elon for taking the risk.

Also read about the mobile habitat on the falcon 9.

I give you the landing of the Falcon 9 booster on the ocean on a robotic platform.

Sorry I can only give you the link on my mobile.
www.space.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I completely agree, people don't understand how big an accomplishment this is. What a great week for Elon, first he officially starts the electric car revolution with the model 3, now he starts the era of cheap space flight.

This is the first step towards humanity's colinization of Mars. Yet barely a word.

As I said on another thread, this is the kind of advancement that happens in a capitalistic society.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wow !

Look at that landing, they nailed it !

And here's a more informative video about the how's and why's:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

I agree.

It's very impressive. Everything he is doing is to colonize Mars. Even the Tesla venture. The guy has a serious vision. He also puts himself out there with huge risk.

(I also hope you know I am procapitalist. I just have some insight as to the importance of considering human behaviour with theory of a perfect condition. My critique is only to bring awareness to issues I see. Like critising your own team is easier for implementing change rather than argueing with the other team. Accept their valid concerns but find solutions within the structure. )

Man sad not a word about it. One comment and 6 flags. If it were about trump or Sanders it would be 5 times this much. Did you ever see the movie about the Segway guy (Dean Kamen) on Netflix? It was incredible. He invented so many things. Yet little Wayne is famous.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Man thank you. The mobile doesn't do all that.

Did you see the inflatable habitat in the falcon? So exciting. I cheered like a sport game.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I had tears streaming down my face and blubbering like a little girl watching this.

We're actually watching a piece of history being made here !

Thanks so much for posting this awesome piece of news !!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

So glad I am not the only one!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I agree that was a piece of history we just watched, it's the next step into another world, for all of humanity

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I found a video about the cool prototype inflatable habitat that's getting tested on the ISS, Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM):

Not sure if I'm so keen on an inflatable habitat idea, although I understand why such an easily portable and lightweight building would be preferable... but it makes me think something like that would be flimsy ?
edit on 8-4-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I love that footage. It gives me goose pimples.

Go Elon!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Again thank you!

I guess it depends on the material. The key is expirementation. If it fails "you can't learn less". To quote Bucky fuller.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
Nobody put this up yet and honestly I don't care if this gets taken down as long as someone does a better than job than I at presenting this information. Everyday the bad news the talking heads the morons in the news.

Say what you will about Elon Musk and his ventures. This man has a vision and he is doing what so few with his ability and financial status do for expanding humanity.

Let's give a huge round of applause for this engineering team and Elon for taking the risk.

Also read about the mobile habitat on the falcon 9.

I give you the landing of the Falcon 9 booster on the ocean on a robotic platform.

Sorry I can only give you the link on my mobile.
www.space.com...

It's not bad news versus good news is it really.
We [get] the big bad news of a finite Earth eventually after a decade or so after being born, that is where we are thus far, and more so that is where we are in regard to Mars.
All the rest requires us to be somewhere else eventually, in that regard Elon Musk is the same as the rest of us.
It's not bad news versus good news is it really.
You can but admire Musk's philantrophic way, though.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I guess it depends on the material. The key is expirementation. If it fails "you can't learn less". To quote Bucky fuller.

True enough.

How long is the ISS testing out the inflatable module, do you know ?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

2 years.
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 8-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Ah okay... so that should give them plenty of time to see how it holds up under various types of conditions.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Thank you for this awesome thread!

It truly is amazing world we live in. We are experiencing technological jumps that are unprecedented in every aspect one can look at. This is case and point. Yet in the general mind of the masses it is as if there is nothing new worth paying attention to unless it is a TV or movie. People truly are living vicariously!

Man sad not a word about it. One comment and 6 flags. If it were about trump or Sanders it would be 5 times this much. Did you ever see the movie about the Segway guy (Dean Kamen) on Netflix? It was incredible. He invented so many things. Yet little Wayne is famous.

I did see that movie and it absolutely was incredible. We quite literally have everything we need to save this beautiful planet. The only thing standing in the way of it is greed, I really like the documentary about Dean Kamen, I believe it is called Slingshot. I have never thought of coca cola as a good company and even though I believe they teamed up with dean and his team to save face because of their actions in places like India, the teamed up nonetheless and countless people are receiving clean water in Africa.

Human Innovation will save us, once human greed is conquered!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
That was really hot footage, luthier and CranialSponge. Thanks.

It’s too bad more folks aren’t interested in things like this, rather than what Trump’s latest scandal is all about or who the Kardashian sisters are sleeping with now. Sometimes it amazes me we ever made it outta the caves and invented the wheel.

I imagine before too long most of the great discoveries and strides forward in space tech will come out of private industry. As a government we’ve dedicated so much of our budget to the war machine, it doesn’t leave a lot of crumbs to sprinkle around for the rest. Oh well...

I still can’t get over the video in the OP. It’s so Buck Rogers, or Forbidden Planet... It makes me think of some of the old sci-fi flicks from the 50’s.

Thanks for the good news, luthier. Nice change of pace...

edit on 4/8/2016 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: netbound

Well, not Forbidden planet or The Day the Earth stood Still......they used Real Flying Saucers.

More like, The Three Stooges go to Mars, or something like that.

Lots of movies from that period have Earthlings land on the Moon and Mars just like this, with rockets going backwards.

Now what I really want Elon Musk to do is make a Real Flying saucer, that can take off from land, go into orbit and return to land, all without 3 stages etc etc.
The technology is already there....just needs money from the private sector....which he has. (and his buddies).

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here's my footage of the launch. Elon seemed quite happy. I had the chance to attend the post launch briefing.

First fully successful test of my tracking software on s launch as well.
edit on 8-4-2016 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Wow man. Thank you for posting.

Very cool you got to be there.

Congratulations on the software! Looks great.

edit on 8-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join