It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican staffer quit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Republican staffer quit because colleagues were 'giddy' about voter ID laws preventing votes

You wanna know why I left the Republican Party as it exists today? Here it is; this was the last straw: I was in the closed Senate Republican Caucus when the final round of multiple Voter ID bills were being discussed. A handful of the GOP Senators were giddy about the ramifications and literally singled out the prospects of suppressing minority and college voters. Think about that for a minute. Elected officials planning and happy to help deny a fellow American's constitutional right to vote in order to increase their own chances to hang onto power. A vigorous debate on the ideas wasn't good enough. Inspiring the electorate and relying on their agenda being better to get people to vote for them wasn't good enough. No, they had to take the coward's way out and come up with a plan to suppress the vote under the guise of 'voter fraud.'
The truth? There was almost none. Oh wait, GOP Speaker Voss' estranged wife voted twice in both Idaho and WI, and a GOP staffer was caught voting twice. But it was good rhetoric.

Yesterday, one of my employees, born in California went to get his WI ID. He was told he couldn't use his CA ID to get a WI ID without his birth certificate which is back in CA. The result? He's not able to vote today. Here's a young man in his early 20's, who is taking part and interested in voting for the first time in his life. He was excited to go to the polls. What kind of a state, a legislature, a political party is it that denies this young man his right? The GOP was born out of greater opportunity and equality. Wisconsin, yes the Wisconsin Republican Party, under the leadership of Republican Governor Robert M. 'Fighting Bob' La Follette lead the country in creating greater voting access to its citizens. The WI GOP was seen as a shining example of equality. THAT was the party I joined in the 80's and fought for. That party no longer exists. I don't belong to any party now. I don't think the Dems have all the answers either. But my God, to watch a party I once fought for deny a young man his voting rights...it boils my blood, leaves a pit in my stomach. It's time for a ‪#‎GOPImplosion‬

Of course this is why the republican want strict voter ID laws, to suppress those who don't agree with them.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Let me guess, someone's going to come along real soon here and say it's all BS and this guy is just "sour grapes" and trying to cause controversy over a personal grudge.

Let's see how long it takes for my prediction to come true...

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FullBloodedNative

Yesterday, one of my employees, born in California went to get his WI ID. He was told he couldn't use his CA ID to get a WI ID without his birth certificate which is back in CA. The result? He's not able to vote today.

Well who would be so dumb to move out of state and not bring their own personal paperwork?

Common sense is getting thinner by the day.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Well just show those dirty republicans!

Get a voter ID and vote them out so you can elect a politician that won't make you get a voter. . . . wait, what?

hahahahahahahahaha

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Yesterday, one of my employees, born in California went to get his WI ID. He was told he couldn't use his CA ID to get a WI ID without his birth certificate which is back in CA. The result? He's not able to vote today.

Well who would be so dumb to move out of state and not bring their own personal paperwork?

Funny, right above that is this "The truth? There was almost none. Oh wait, GOP Speaker Voss' estranged wife voted twice in both Idaho and WI, and a GOP staffer was caught voting twice. But it was good rhetoric. "
Hmm, complaining that they were able to vote in two states and then being upset that this out of stater was denied the right to vote because he was up to date on his paperwork. Looks like WI was trying to keep that hole closed, why the complaint from this person?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Good for him!

I can't think of a better party to leave.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

Funny, right above that is this "The truth? There was almost none. Oh wait, GOP Speaker Voss' estranged wife voted twice in both Idaho and WI, and a GOP staffer was caught voting twice. But it was good rhetoric. "
Hmm, complaining that they were able to vote in two states and then being upset that this out of stater was denied the right to vote because he was up to date on his paperwork. Looks like WI was trying to keep that hole closed, why the complaint from this person?

Oh wait, GOP Speaker Voss' estranged wife voted twice in both Idaho and WI, and a GOP staffer was caught voting twice. But it was good rhetoric.

We can actually prove that right?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
In Michigan you need a drivers license or state ID. If you don't have one or the other you don't exist. No aid no taxes and the ID is free if you ask. I forgot my ID doesn't work at the polls they have a separate line for all the forgetters.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I still have a difficult time understanding WTF contribution "low income" or "minority" makes to the ease or difficulty of obtaining an ID. When you throw in the fact that you're required to show the same ID to buy tobacco, booze, drive, get medical care, view an apartment for rental, obtain ANY degree of public service, etc... I just find it really difficult to buy this BS that voter ID somehow disenfranchises anyone who really wishes to vote AND is legally eligible to do so.

For clarification: In Alaska we have to show a drivers license or other state/agency issued ID, a federal ID, hunting or fishing license, or a passport to actually vote. To my knowledge, everyone eligible to vote in this state possesses one or more of those items. Hell, just to register for voting in this state requires one of them. Nobody has groused about it and believe me, if minorities or low income folks were harmed by it in this state, we'd hear about it. Oh Lord would we ever hear about it :rolleyes:, incesssantly... bitching and whining... non-stop... we'd hear about it.

edit on 8-4-2016 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I don't get why an American citizen needs to be state based to be able to vote for a national government, which seems to be the tack in the OP's second paragraph. I would get that a birth cert, and/or a utilities document should be able to identify the person nationally the one time, not to be repeated, otherwise there is something wrong with the system, if you get the drift.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

Oh wait, GOP Speaker Voss' estranged wife voted twice in both Idaho and WI, and a GOP staffer was caught voting twice. But it was good rhetoric.

We can actually prove that right?

I don't care if it can be proved or not, whether they did vote in 2 places or not I just wanted to connect to logic as to why having someone actually prove they are able to vote there. I recently moved back to WA from MN and I updated my voter registration via the US Postal Service Change of Address process. A few months later I was sent my new voter registration card and shortly afterwards MN sent me a letter informing me that I have been dropped from their voting system. Seems like this person should have followed the rules, know what they need to vote if they are going to vote. In a way, he is learning all about it now he should get it sorted out before the big election happens.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

What would prevent a person from voting in one state and then going to another and voting there? For all they knew, he had voted in California or was planning to which would give him two votes. That is why they wanted him officially registered as now living and legal in Wisconsin. It's not like the Federal register is different than the state ones.

And before you complain how unlikely that is consider who many major cities straddle two states: St. Louis and Kansas City for two which affect Illinois, Kansas and Missouri between them.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I see no reason whatsoever that ID should NOT be required to vote. This idea that people are "discriminated against" because they can't show a piece of ID is ludicrous. Lack of ID leads to massive fraud. Every election we have young people bragging on Youtube and elsewhere, "Ha ha! I voted six times!" as if it's some contest. Do you seriously think an election is "fair" when that can happen? It's just insane.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

People without ID drive ALL the time. People buy booze and cigs ALL the time without ID. You just have to know where to go. People without ID know these places, and go there.

When you don't have an ID you learn how to get by in society without one. It's not always legal (many cases it isn't). You really don't want to know how many people are on the road with neither a DL or insurance bro.

EDIT: For homeless people its hard to get an ID in Alaska because you have to use a physical address. HOWEVER...

Some people here are doing things like using Denali National Park as the "physical address". Well, guess where your card is going to be sent to?

The thing is ... it'll get "return to sender" and be held at the DMV. Then? You can just waltz in there and claim it. So now you have a legally issued ID with a totally fake address on file for you.

Nice loophole huh Burd?
edit on 8-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If voter ID is bad, then why do so many want firearm ID's?

Voting for the wrong person has killed more people than any boom stick.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If requiring ID's is so great for voting, what's the big deal with requiring them to buy a gun?

EDIT: I'd say NOT voting has killed more people. Apathy leads to more death than probably anything in politics.
edit on 8-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: DBCowboy

If requiring ID's is so great for voting, what's the big deal with requiring them to buy a gun?

That's the point. You do have to have a valid ID to buy a gun AND you have to pass a major background check. That's far more security than you guys seem to think is necessary for voting, but both voting and gun ownership are rights.

If it's wrong to require ID for one, then it should be wrong for the other. If it's only prudent to require it for one, then it should be prudent to require it for the other. It's the left that thinks it's beyond the pale to require it to vote, but that it would likewise be beyond the pale to NOT require it to own a gun.

Intellectual inconsistency.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Personally, I don't care if I have to show ID to vote. I don't understand why people have a problem with it.

To be honest, most poor people don't even have the time or the means to get to a polling place anyway. They are to busy working 2-3 jobs and don't own cars anyway.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

A handful of the GOP Senators were giddy about the ramifications and literally singled out the prospects of suppressing minority and college voters. 

Muahaha! It's about time we started suppressing those college voters! Waite... How do we keep them from getting their Id's again?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join