It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana State Trooper Fired For Proselytizing On Duty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
A 14 year veteran of the Indiana SP was fired today for asking people during traffic stops about their faith, if they were saved, and handing out those little Jesus pamphlets.

A 14-year-veteran of the Indiana State Police was fired Thursday for allegedly proselytizing to people he stopped for traffic violations.

The ACLU of Indiana filed a lawsuit this week against ISP Trooper Brian Hamilton on behalf of Wendy Pyle.

The lawsuit claims Hamilton gave Pyle a warning ticket for speeding, then asked her what church she attended and whether she was saved.

She says she did not feel free to leave while the questions were being asked. She filed a formal complaint about the stop.

Hamilton has been sued for similar claims before. In Oct. 2014, he was accused of prolonging a traffic stop by asking a woman about her faith, then handing her a pamphlet about how to become a Christian. The civil case was closed in April 2015.

On Thursday, ISP announced it had terminated Hamilton's employment for insubordination and neglect of duty.

ISP Fired For Proselytizing On Duty

So spreading The Word will get a cop fired but murdering innocent individuals gets you a paid vacay during the "investigation" and, in most circumstances, a return to your job??

WTF is wrong with the priorities in this country?? I know that he had been warned before and, as a matter of fact, there is a thread from the original complaint a few years ago right here on ATS: Thread from 2014

I get that some people may become offended by his questions but who was he REALLY hurting?? If he was the run of the mill d!ck and treated people like scum during traffic stops, I'm sure we would never even hear about this man. Heck, if I was stopped by him and he gave me a warning and a Jesus pamphlet, I'd be GRATEFUL. I wouldn't think to sue him no matter what he asked me; about Jesus, that is.

I just find it absolutely ridiculous that the ACLU in Indiana has nothing better to do that to file lawsuits against a cop who by all accounts has done his job over the last 14 years without murdering and/or assaulting anyone with anything but Christianity. Makes me think the plaintiff remembered this story from a few years ago and is thinking she will have a pay day here soon.

What a ridiculous waste of the court's time and resources.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by the Atheist crowd, that is to be expected, but I just find this story sad. For lack of a better word.

If this is ALL the man did to lose his job make me think they really only want the angry, mentally ill, raging roid-head types on the force, which is what many of us seem to believe is actually happening.

America in 2016 is turning out to be a very scary place indeed.

FWIW, I'd much rather discuss this actual story than to get off topic and turn this into a is there or isn't there discussion, so I'll be ignoring those usual trolls.

edit on 8-4-2016 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
You really don't see the problem with this? Ask yourself this, if a Muslim cop was doing exactly the same thing, how would you react? Taxpayers don't pay law enforcement officers to spread their religions. Those people can do that in their free time. Not only are there separation of church and State issues here (since law enforcement literally represent the State/government), but there are also privacy issues. That's like going to get my driver's license renewed and the clerks start trying to get me to convert to Hinduism.

As for police getting "paid vacations" for killing people, that's a completely different issue. The ACLU shouldn't stop exposing one problem because another problem still exists.

edit to add: If you worked for a bank and used company time to promote a separate company, you'd definitely get fired. And if you worked in a factory and used company time to promote your book or separate company, you'd also be fired. I'm pretty sure all worker's manuals have clauses against this. So how is this any different to you?
edit on 8-4-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Had to agree, I am atheist if I was approached in such a way, by a person of authority, I would tell him to leave me the # alone and ask if I am being detained?
edit on 8-4-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

S&F

As time goes on you will see this more and more ongoing around the world. Spreading the Gospel is no longer tolerated outside the home and church. IMO in 10 years or less people living in the WEST; whoever is caught proselytizing will be arrested and prosecuted. Anyone who professes to be Christian will not be tolerated.
edit on 8-4-2016 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Keep your cult to yo self.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I honestly do not want any religion spreading in such a manner, peoples "souls" are their own damn business, everyone has to answer the "hard questions" IE: who am I? what is my purpose? on their own and in a perfect world we wouldn't have people hounding us or judging us for how we answer those questions, especially a person in a position of authority.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Whoa, we agree on something.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

A 14 year veteran of the Indiana SP was fired today for asking people during traffic stops about their faith.

I'm certainly glad they were fired. I do not want any copper stopping me when I driving for any reason other than a traffic matter.

It is ludicrous for anyone to suggest they should not have been fired. Allow this and it opens the do to christ knows what in the future. Some people are very short sighted or lack experience at the business of living life, particularity in view of the way the world is these days.

BTW these comments are general comments are are not aimed at any one in particular

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I agree-and i cannot understand how people can think it's acceptable to try and convert people or spread their religion in the workplace.

To the OP: Yes absolutely bad /violent/homocidal/corrupt cops should be fired.But that does not make it ok for any cop or employee in any workplace to try and impinge on others with their religion.It is just not acceptable.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
GOOD

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Reminds me of my brother..

He would fraternize with our employees and take them to strip clubs get so drunk that they kick him out then, the guys would have to deliver him on his doorstep for his wife to clean up in the morning. Come Monday, he would be in the office telling employees that they were sinners and that everyone needs to pray ect ect at which point I would look at him and say," man shut the # up and lets get to work" needless to say him and I do not work together anymore and never will again, and also that kind of thing has no business in the work place what so ever.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I honestly do not want any religion spreading in such a manner, peoples "souls" are their own damn business, everyone has to answer the "hard questions" IE: who am I? what is my purpose? on their own and in a perfect world we wouldn't have people hounding us or judging us for how we answer those questions, especially a person in a position of authority.

I understand and hope no one else ever again bothers you with the Gospel and the entire Christian belief. I will ask God to build a spiritual wall around you that protects you from hearing any proselytizing.

WARNING: BUT......I must warn you that if you go to the spiritual forum on ATS you will witness Proselytizing .... so please go not enter that particular forum. I am only trying to protect you.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Don't forget Satan loves you too.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... I had no idea that part of a cop's job was to hand out jesus pamphlets.

And here I thought it was all about traffic violations and catching bad guys.

Learn something new every day.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Why do you have to patronize me? Brother, if you think I'm an asshole just say so.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Why do you have to patronize me? Brother, if you think I'm an asshole just say so.

Of course not! I don't think that about you.

I have often read your comments about religion and I truly believe that you do not want to hear any further Proselytizing ..... anything concerning religion.... I truly believe you have your reasons. So why suffer through this mental pain?

No one on this planet will ever convince you that there is a God, IMO only God himself will convince you that he is alive and exist and I hope he does BUT until then everyone should respect your rights and not violate your wishes about your religious views.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hate wins again.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Hate wins again.

Hate ?

Or just simply people expecting their tax dollars to pay for someone to do their actual job duties while they're, you know... on the job.

Do you want the police officers that you pay for to spend their time running around handing out religion-based pamphlets ?

Or do you want them to spend their time running around catching bad guys ?

Your choice.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

I understand and hope no one else ever again bothers you with the Gospel and the entire Christian belief. I will ask God to build a spiritual wall around you that protects you from hearing any proselytizing.

And just who is gonna pay for THIS wall?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

And just who is gonna pay for THIS wall?

Donald ......... maybe??????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join