It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millionaires are leaving Chicago, report says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Ok. It is all because of democrats and leftist policies and now lawlessness. So why are the cities of the ME worth fighting for but not Chicago?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

It's not worth fighting for anymore. We are the highest taxed State there is and we're about to go belly up. Use the googles and read up on our teachers fund debt. It's mind blowing. And to top it off, the very vast majority of 8th graders read at a 3rd grade level, if they can read at all.

Most manufacturing jobs have left because we are so heavily taxed/regulated. Mega corporations are gone. The tax and spend establishment whores (both sides) have ruined this State. They keep raising taxes and fees to do business here and spend our money on the most asinine things. We simply can't afford to fight anymore.

Yes, us evil conservatives are taking our balls and leaving. I'll be damned if I lose everything I've fought for, for forty years, to bleed to death. This hell hole can have their liberal, pie in the sky, everyone gets a trophy, feel good BS. But they gotta figure out how to pay for it once we're gone.

When you have more folks in the cart than pulling it, something has to give. Us conservatives have pulled the cart, while the leeches are throwing out anchors.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Get the hell out of there sir. You would be a king in another state.

Let them have their dead city and let it be a reminder to all of what happens under extreme leftist economies.

I am sorry you lost your city though. I cant imagine the pain.

I only hope mine and others escape this fate.

edit on 4 8 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I am just worried about a bunch conservatives moving to my state, WA. We are liberals on the West side and have some good things going. They will ruin it with hate and war mongering. The way they ruined Idaho the last 30yrs., especially the education system.

I am curious as to the defense of liberalism in the state of Washington when you have this:

Washington State One of Three States Where Poverty Is Increasing

Posted by Elena Hernandez at Sep 18, 2014 09:00 PM

New Census data released today shows that Washington state was one of a handful of states where poverty increased between 2012 and 2013, while median income remained stagnant. The new numbers shed further light on the state’s uneven economic recovery and should serve as a call-to-action for lawmakers.

Washington state, New Jersey, and New Mexico were the only three states to see an increase in the total number of people living in poverty. Washington state-specific data include (see fact sheet):
•One in seven people (14.1 percent) live below the poverty line. This is up from 13.5 percent in 2012. For a family of three, the poverty line is defined as earning less than $19,530 per year.
•Child poverty remains stuck at 18 percent. The total number of children living in poverty was largely unchanged in 2013, except for children under five who experienced a small decline.
•Median household income remained stagnant. Median household income did not change between 2012 and 2013, but is still lower than it was before the Great Recession, which ended five years ago. However, the richest 5 percent of Washingtonians saw their earnings increase by 6 percent in 2013, while low and moderate income families experienced little, if any, growth (1).

budgetandpolicy.org...

You’ll Never Guess Which State Has the Nation’s Most Unfair Taxes

Jacob Davidson @JakeD
Jan. 14, 2015

Washington state may vote progressive, but its taxes are anything but.

When you think of states that hurt the poor and benefit the rich, ultra-progressive Washington state probably doesn’t spring to mind. And yet, according to a new analysis, Washington’s tax system is the most regressive in the nation, placing a disproportionate burden on those with the lowest incomes.

The study, published by the nonpartisan Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, finds the poorest 20% of Washington’s population pay almost 17% of their income in taxes, while the richest 1% pay just 2.4% of their earnings. The middle 60% of earners are taxed slightly more than 10% of their income.

Maybe you NEED some conservatism is Washington. Unless you call all that "good things going".

ETA, the public school system is often times having money problems.

“Given the gravity of the state’s ongoing violation of its constitutional obligation to amply provide for public education … the time has come for the court to impose sanctions,” the justices wrote.

At $100,000 per day, the fines would amount to more than $14 million by January, when the Legislature convenes for its next scheduled session.
www.seattletimes.com...

By Joseph O’Sullivan
Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporters
OLYMPIA — Prodded by a $100,000-a-day fine, Gov. Jay Inslee and legislative leaders plan to dive back into the school-spending dispute Monday after the latest state Supreme Court repudiation of Washington’s chronic underfunding of public schools.

The court on Thursday morning delivered a unanimous order that made good on its earlier threat of sanctions, slamming the state for failing to come up with a plan to...

www.courts.wa.gov... 20day.pdf

edit on 8-4-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

As for your paranoia about the rich righties "moving to your city and loading it up with guns", I say Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country- no one can legally possess a handgun in the city, and yet we all see where it's at. And if your argument is they're being sold by wealthy businessmen for profit, there isn't a single gun shop in cook County, and no firearms are sold there. Any time someone tries to open a legal gun shop in any surrounding suburbs/counties, they're legislated right on their ass.

It's the culture of corruption and the failed war on drugs that have spawned a wildfire of crime and murder in Chicago.
And prohibition of those baaad guns sounds great in a speech... but like all prohibition laws, it just makes an illegal commodity all the more lucrative to those who don't give any thought to laws in the first place.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

It's not just $hitcago, it's the entire State. The rest of us have to endure extremely high costs of doing business, so the great City of #cago can thrive.

And no, that is not the fault of us conservatives. We are the ones that create jobs and pay out the rear to do so. Only to be told us greedy bastards HAVE to pay more, more, more. There's a breaking point.

No we won't be ruining other States, we will be bringing more jobs to other States that are more business friendly.
edit on 8-4-2016 by KawRider9 because: Hellinois, that's why!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

When you have more folks in the cart than pulling it, something has to give. Us conservatives have pulled the cart, while the leeches are throwing out anchors.

What a profound and accurate statement. Simple yet powerful!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Well, I hope you come to eastern washington. I have been emailing, facebooking with Cathy McMorris Rodgers for years to fund a north south 4 lane so we can do business and travel safely to Spokane. Otherwise, you better get use to a 100miles of following granny and trucks at 45mph. But the freeway to Seattle is great. I guess I can look forward to our property increasing in value.

I hope we are not creating our own ISIS.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The Republican Party Must Answer for What It Did to Kansas and Louisiana

The GOP no tax policy has already ruined two states: closed schools, deficits blowing up.

The idea of cutting taxes and we'll have an economic boom has been tried people and it is an abysmal failure.

nymag.com...

In 2010, the tea-party wave put Sam Brownback into the Sunflower State’s governor’s mansion and Republican majorities in both houses of its legislature. Together, they implemented the conservative movement’s blueprint for Utopia: They passed massive tax breaks for the wealthy and repealed all income taxes on more than 100,000 businesses. They tightened welfare requirements, privatized the delivery of Medicaid, cut $200 million from the education budget, eliminated four state agencies and 2,000 government employees. In 2012, Brownback helped replace the few remaining moderate Republicans in the legislature with conservative true believers. The following January, after signing the largest tax cut in Kansas history, Brownback told the Wall Street Journal, “My focus is to create a red-state model that allows the Republican ticket to say, 'See, we've got a different way, and it works.' "

nymag.com...

A place like Chicago is failing, like most major Midwest cities, because of the economic blight brought on by bad trade deals and the flight of companies going to slave wage countries and removing jobs from America in the millions.

It has devastated the Midwest cities like Chicago and Detroit and many others.

The GOP idea of massively cutting taxes for the rich has failed miserably as the above article details.

Their ideas are NOT the solution

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You ain't lying, their ideas absolutely are not the solution.

Problem is....neither are Democrat solutions. So we are left with nothing.

And I know it has to be eating at the back of everyones minds. Or maybe not. Who knows. A lot of folks seem awful happy to buy into party politics.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I hope you're not suggesting that corruption and robbery of the citizenry by mayor Daley, Pritzker and countless others had no effect, and it's only Republican fiscal policies and outsourcing that caused the problems in cities like Chicago. Certainly those things have had a big negative impact. But the failures have occurred because of greed and criminal behavior by government officials.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

I live on the conservative side of Wa state, the east of the Cascades. Our county is the second poorest in the state, and Whitman County is the poorest in the state.

"In eastern Washington, Whitman County residents made an average of $36,257 annually, which is just over $23,000 less than Washingtonians’ average salary. The poverty rate is a staggering 32.6 percent, while unemployment remains at just over 6 percent."

And we have a high tax rate. That is why I don't why people would be moving here to escape taxes.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

Looking at the big picture and not just rely on slogans and dogma. Many big cities have always been corrupt, Democrats and GOP, particularly in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s when the economy was booming.

The American economy grew to the greatest in the world after WWII with sound tax policies and a level of protectionism. It grew to unparalleled levels despite corruption in government.

The taxes on the rich were gutted by Reagan, then the deficit ballooned and the rich were coddled so much that they felt strong enough to get the politicians to further ruin the macro economy by getting them to pass crippling trade deals to placate the capitalist globalist money barons of industry that gutted the good jobs that had grew the American economy on the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s.

Now all the angry right-winger does is quote slogans and pretends the liberal politicians hurt them when in-fact it was the capitalist trade deals and a bad tax policy towards the rich that ruined the economy NOT affirmative ACTION

The right-wing is being manipulated to think his enemy is poor black people and liberals; nothing is further from the truth.

You’re being conned...programmed and the true culprits of the destruction of the great American economy is hiding in plain site...
Even Trump tries to tell you this but you dont listen.

edit on 8-4-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
In the 40’s 50’s 60’s and 70’s we had taxes on the rich at 90 percent. That means after earning a few million their tax rate went up. We had a degree of protectionism that protected jobs as well.

They, through the corporate fraud of "free trade” and coddling the rich and dramatically cutting their taxes gutted the system that made the American economy great.

Then that all blew up

It’s that dam simple

In the 70’s and 80’s you could get fired and go down the street and get a job. And I don’t mean at Burger King.

NOT TODAY

All this gutted the American cities of the great industrial belt.

the con job of conservative trickle down economics was the devil in the wood pile.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I've heard about that 90% tax rate on the wealthy. What did the government do with the money? Did it get redistributed to the poor? In Illinois, our taxes fall into a bottomless pit it seems.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
In the 40’s 50’s 60’s and 70’s we had taxes on the rich at 90 percent. That means after earning a few million their tax rate went up. We had a degree of protectionism that protected jobs as well.

They, through the corporate fraud of "free trade” and coddling the rich and dramatically cutting their taxes gutted the system that made the American economy great.

Then that all blew up

It’s that dam simple

In the 70’s and 80’s you could get fired and go down the street and get a job. And I don’t mean at Burger King.

NOT TODAY

All this gutted the American cities of the great industrial belt.

the con job of conservative trickle down economics was the devil in the wood pile.

You do realize no one paid that tax rate, right?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

But that was the tax rate...

How do you know they didn't pay it?

And when have taxes ever create prosperity?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join