It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is knowledge?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: whereislogic

Is it a fact that 1+1=2?

No; it is a definition. And that is a "fact."

Interesting to see that my first primary question was skipped. It was:

"Is the statement "1+1=2" true/correct?"

Which can be rephrased as such:

1+1=2

True or False?

Pick one. The question is for all and related to the way questions in IQ-tests work. The reason this question was skipped I suspect is because I already gave the synonym for "true" earlier (the answer that most people know to be the correct answer otherwise they won't get a very high score in any IQ-test or test of honesty in conversation):

FACTUAL(/certain/absolute/correct, without error; to name a few others)

Making it a factual statement, which is exactly what a certain person didn't want to admit to with a nice red herring as explained before. So what's the correct answer to the question that DJW001 answered with "no":

Is it a fact that 1+1=2?

Common Sense—Why So Uncommon?

“WHAT is the matter with him? He should know better,” remarks an observer. Shaking his head in disbelief, another walks away muttering, “If he had a little common sense, he would never have done that.” Have you perhaps heard similar comments? What, though, is “common sense”?

The word “sense” is defined as “accurate appreciation,” “understanding,” and “practical wisdom or judgement.” It implies that a person has the ability to judge and decide with intelligence. Common sense evidently requires that we use thinking ability. Many people would rather let others do their thinking for them. They allow the media, their peers, or popular opinion to make decisions for them.

Common sense seems to be so lacking in today’s world that an observant man once noted, ‘Common sense, in truth, is very uncommon.’ How can we acquire common sense? What are its benefits?

How Acquired?

I wonder if I should make a seperate thread about it one day but I'm not sure I wanna do it in the philosophy forum. Allthough I highly recommend the acquisition of common sense over the philosophies and philosophizing behaviour regarding that which is "falsely called knowledge" (with or without using that exact word, but implied; see my earlier commentary about the verb "is" and someone stating facts or something as if it is factual/true, knowledge of realities/facts, without even realizing it sometimes that that's what they're doing with the verb "is").
For practice (also see the description of the playlist):
Real science, knowledge of realities compared to philosophies and stories
edit on 5-2-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I see spiritually dead people that are asleep while thinking they're awake, quite spiritual and enlightened or illuminated with knowledge, insight, understanding and wisdom. No offence, just calling them as I see 'm in the hopes it might wake someone up.

True Spirituality—How Can You Find It?
edit on 27-4-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Essentially, knowledge means familiarity with facts/truths/certainties/realities acquired by personal experience, observation, or study.

The Bible strongly urges the seeking for and treasuring of right knowledge, recommending it rather than gold. (Pr 8:10; 20:15) Jesus stressed the importance of truly knowing him and his Father, and knowledge is repeatedly emphasized in the books of the Christian Greek Scriptures.—Joh 17:3; Php 1:9; 2Pe 3:18.

The concepts of knowledge, truth and reality are intertwined. "Absolute" is a synonym for "true/certain/correct, without error/conclusive/definitive/factual". A synonym for "knowledge" is "science" (which is derived from the Latin word for "knowledge": "scientia"). Which says a lot about those who argue for the philosophy/idea that 'science does not deal with absolutes' (or any variation) and 'truth is relative or uncertain', 'truth is whatever you make it', 'anything is possible', etc. (or other variations or connected philosophies of what I refer to as the agnostic philosophy of vagueness or simply the philosophy of vagueness, as if you can't be sure about anything, or sometimes applied selectively to an inconvenient fact one doesn't want to acknowledge as being true/certain/correct, without error). Someone is responsible for the promotion and continuation of these confusing vague philosophies throughout the centuries and he left a trace through history (as did those whose spiritual master he has become or used to be, whether they were aware of that or not):
He is a liar! (part 1 of 2)
edit on 10-7-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astrocyte

What is knowledge, and how can this relational and referential property possess such superordinate organizing power? I suspect the idea of 'knowledge' equals power is true, yet naive.

Knowledge is that part of information that is useful, which you can use to do things with, when you have it.

Knowledge is only power in the right hands, possessed at the right time.

Many people have knowledge which they are unable to use, because they are powerless to employ that knowledge to their advantage.

It is more accurate to say that "Knowledge enhances power", because you really need power before the knowledge can be used to your benefit.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join