It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwrapping a Superfortress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Last Tuesday, a crew at The Museum of Flight in Seattle took the pain staking effort to unwrap their B-29, known as T-Square 54, from its preservation cocoon for the last time.
Being a part of the unwrapping would be like the best Christmas day ever for a Avnerd despite the obvious work it took to get the multiple layers of shrink wrapping off her. All in all she looks pretty good for a 71 year old gal.

www.museumofflight.org...

www.facebook.com...

edit on 7-4-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Sorry but I don't understand why they do this? Are they leaving it unwrapped for good now,or will they wrap it up again this winter and leave it that way?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

It was stored outside before so they wrapped it. Now it's in its new home and protected from the elements so they'll leave it unwrapped.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It was stored outside before so they wrapped it. Now it's in its new home and protected from the elements so they'll leave it unwrapped.

I'll be there in a couple of months,nice of them to unwrap it for me (LOL)! Oh and how did they get a Concorde,I didn't think there were any outside of Europe?
edit on 7-4-2016 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

There are....three, I think. Intrepid has one, Boeing has one and I think the Smithsonian.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There's a BA Concorde in Barbados also.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There are....three, I think. Intrepid has one, Boeing has one and I think the Smithsonian.

So that's where all our Concordes went,lucky the one at Duxford is locked up in a nice secure hangar 'cos you ain't getting that one (LOL!).

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I help move the B29 known as Doc from the range area of NWC China Lake.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.b-29doc.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Thanks for the links,that's a really awesome job you guys have done on Doc,can't wait to see him later this summer.It's nice to see this level of restoration being done on such worthy aircraft,and to see it flying again will be something really special.It's a shame all we seem to do over here is retire our war veterans such as the Vulcan and only allow them to do fast taxi runs.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

There´s also one in Sinsheim (Germany) and also a Tupolev TU-144.
You can walk around in them, was there two times.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

That's cool too see the two of those together. The Concord at the Seattle museum of flight can be walked through too. Amazing how cramped they are inside.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
a reply to: verschickter

That's cool too see the two of those together. The Concord at the Seattle museum of flight can be walked through too. Amazing how cramped they are inside.

I used to work near Heathrow when Concorde was still operational and heard it fly over every day.No modern airliner is anywhere near as beautiful as Concorde was,but by god was it loud!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They´re mounted at an angle and you could not walk past each other between the seats, they took seats every few meters so people can walk past. The speedometer at the right side of the cabin was funny to see

If I remember right, you could take a pillow with you and use it to slide down to the ground on a huge slide going through the roof of the building back to the stairs ^^

And not far from it, 40kms away, there is a russian Buran and a Sojus to be viewed :-P
Technikmuseum Speyer
edit on 12-4-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join