It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California: Undocumented children now eligible for healthcare

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Defense is our responsibility.

If we have holes in our game we need to close those holes we can blame Mexicans for taking advantage of them.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: harvestdog

I just can't seem to get mad about this. I'm just glad kids that need health care are getting it. I understand that most people will fell short changed by the fact that this program is paid for using their tax dollars but if you think about it those poor kids had nothing to do with their parents smuggling them into North America except perhaps with the intention of getting them care.

I just can't make myself mad over this.

That's because you have a heart. I agree with you completely. In fact, I'd actually rather taxpayer money go towards something like this than go towards more corporate welfare or the MIC.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

Tax money is not your "hard-earned" money, that is your price for living in this wonderful country.

Its your mindset that's not working for you, not the system.

Holy cow, that is classic! Could you break it down for me? I'm feeling dense. How is money I earned the hard way not my hard-earned money? Is that only before or after the Government steals their share?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

go live in another country and see how well you fare if you don't like paying taxes.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Annee

They shoudn't suffer no. And their parents shouldn't have put them in this situation. They should have followed the laws to come here legally so then everything is kosher. Now they are illegal residents trying to argue that they are entitled to things they aren't and people who feel before they think are trying to shame everyone into it.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

We can say that all day long.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Of course socialized medicine is a social program.

Listen, you know who i am and how I generally think. I am a fairly liberal leaning libertarian (meaning im down with some social programs if it'll shut people up and make my life easier...like care for elderly and children)

So it shouldn't be wholly surprising that Im not coming down hard on socialized medicine to begin with. I think most doctors take public loans and grants to attend medical school, and thus owe a debt to society. But they aren't being asked to chip in here.

But I disagree that illegals don't pay in. Some may not....but most do. Its not uncommon at all that they will have a fake social just so they can get a job (which pays taxes). However, they are then excluded from a lot that the tax money they pay goes to support.

Regardless, im not coming here in favor of this program one way or the other. Give health care to children or not. I know for certain the cost on society is far greater if you don't provide medical care to people in your country. But all that common sense aside, it doesn't matter to me whether California does this or not. What matters is that people will put effort into raising a stink about giving healthcare to children, pointing out that we can't afford it. Meanwhile they ignore the rampant corruption and theft that makes it where you can't afford healthcare for children.

What I actually hear when I read that is, "HEY! We would rather ignore the plank in our own eye to complain about that spec of sawdust in someone else's!!!"

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

If tax dollars are the price you pay for living in America, then rape is not assault, but just under-rated appreciation.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They have great socialized healthcare in Mexico.

Go back.

They have great dentists.

I haven't been to an American dentist in 20 years.

The Canadian snowbirds get all their dental work done when they're here.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

Tax money is not your "hard-earned" money, that is your price for living in this wonderful country.

Its your mindset that's not working for you, not the system.

Yeah...see that's the problem with the modern conservative. They're full of paradoxes and contradicting thought patterns.

They hate "moochers" and the government who apparently "steals" from them. They see all these poor people and immigrants as a drain on the economy, not paying their fair share or contributing.

Then, they turn around and want a free pass to live in America. They don't want to have to help support America by paying their share.

The best are those Soverign Citizen guys who don't want to pay ANY taxes EVER. Oh man those guys are hilarious.

Yeah...see I don't like living in the dark ages or in a cave, fending off wolves and other cave-dwellers. I kind of like putting some money into the collective bin so that we can all have nicer things. Even if it benefits people I'll never meet or know.
edit on 7-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't understand the comparison.

If you don't like the price, shop around.

No one is forcing you to pay the price to live in America.

There are lots of other countries you can choose from.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I wouldn't have a problem with this if I wasn't paying my taxes would I?
That's the problem. I do!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

exactly, its comforting to know that there are programs out there to help the masses. I would rather my children be surrounded by healthy smart people (raising min. wage, Obamacare, free 2 yrs tuition) even if I don't benefit from it myself. I may be paying wheel taxes all my life and still live on a dirt road, however, its very rewarding when my interstate ramp gets widened and repaved

It is not our job to worry about what our taxes go towards, that would make one miserable. Just cast your vote and hope whoever wins will make the best decision with our natlions tax money.

YES, it is the price you pay to live in America.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Oh god no.

Don't start that crap and you should know better.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

My thing is the notion of "variable cost" and "ratio based cost models".

So when my taxes increase, as a percentage of my income, without my income really increasing....im going to scream like im being skinned alive. Because its not that more pie is being taken from me. Its that im losing my share of my work. Even more, running businesses in the private sector the one luxury I don't get that government does: budget deficits are fixed by demanding more income, not earning more income.

We don't even get into how you are being screwed over even worse with the notion of "inflation". What I usually tell people, as a way to display how screwed over you are: think back to the very first dollar you earned. Now think about how much that dollar is worth today. That is how much you have been screwed. You work for currency with a half life.

I trade my life for work. I trade family relations with work. I trade happiness for work. I do all this so i can eat, so I can live. I have every right to be highly protective of what I am trading everything of any real value to me to have.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well if you are trading all of that stuff for work, you might as well find some kind of work that at least isn't boring or soul-destroying

I'm trading my time, my life, and all that above stuff to make where I live a better place. On top of that, I get paid. So, I count it as a double win.
edit on 7-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Oh god no.

Don't start that crap and you should know better.

To be fair, that's literally what expats are. Some expats keep their original citizenship while living in the other country. But others completely renounce their original citizenship. I'd guess that nearly every major city in the world has American and/or British expat communities, so it's not a rare thing at all.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Exactly, you don't like it -- leave.

I hear that a lot from conservatives about America to people. I don't know why when the same argument is used against them they get so testy?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is bigger than the tax paying aspect.
This is erosion of Sovereignty. This is blatant disregard for of Immigration Laws. This is worse than Sanctuary Cities. This involves the most populous State in the nation legitimatizing illegal immigration. Who wants to stand up and say to be fair and equitable, we should open our borders with Mexico and just nationalize everyone? If they get access to our programs, what distinguishes them from the legal citizen/resident? Why should anyone go through the process legally if it makes no difference and just wastes your time and resources? Don't be surprised at lawlessness when you encourage it.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't understand the comparison.

If you don't like the price, shop around.

No one is forcing you to pay the price to live in America.

There are lots of other countries you can choose from.

The thing is, those in power want to change America.

Yeah, I could leave. But basically, you're telling me if I want freedom and control over what I earn, that it sucks to be me.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well if you are trading all of that stuff for work, you might as well find some kind of work that at least isn't boring or soul-destroying

LOL, its almost like you know what i do for a living.

LMAO.

I'm trading my time, my life, and all that above stuff to make where I live a better place. On top of that, I get paid. So, I count it as a double win.

Same here....but the rest of the world doesn't always cooperate by helping on oil prices.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join