It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Steel Set To Layoff A Quarter of Its Non-Union Workforce

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Just ask around Obama has really turned this country around. Once again, Trump is right about the economy. Go figure someone with billions of dollars in working assets knows what's going on in the economy.

Who would have guessed?

Oh sorry I forgot he's secretly building death camps for Jewish people all over the country with the SS.

Anyway I apologize for that.

Pittsburgh Local News

U.S. Steel lost $1.5 billion in 2015 and blames falling oil prices, increased imports from China and other factors for hurting demand and lowering steel prices

The fact that we import from China rather than build here at at home is a total mind f*** to me.

I mean who cares anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Well, the Liberals will continue to claim that the economy is doing just fine and even improving. 'Cause flippin' burgers and part time jobs are so much better than a steady job at a steel mill, ya know.
They blame Bush for NAFTA, but feel free to ignore Obama pushing TPP as hard as he can.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
What a coincidence, the exact same is happening here with UK steel manufacturing and for the same reasons, oil prices, low demand and cheap steel from China, 40,000 people in the UK could be about to lose their jobs.

www.mirror.co.uk...
edit on 7-4-2016 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Your both liars the economy is fantastic.

Now let's help Mexico fix its problems.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Too bad we don't do infrastructue nation wide anymore. Patch work don't need much steel.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

The fact that we import from China rather than build here at at home is a total mind f*** to me.

I bought a tin of sardines for 19 cents at a discount store, not that many years ago. They came from Indonesia.
Some poor bastard had to catch those sardines and take them to a cannery.
The cannery processed them and put them in a sealed can, then they labeled the can. Then they put them in cardboard cases and palletized them.
Then they were put on a ship and taken across the Pacific Ocean. They were then variously warehoused and trucked until they ended up in the store.
How can that all happen and only cost me 19 cents???

Slave labor... it has to be slave labor.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I have a friend that sells steel coils. I think he is called a broker but I call him a middle man.
Anyways, he says Chinese steel is killing the market and is usually junk. He sold 20% more product last year but made less money because of the low prices.

China has a huge advantage and it's not just labor prices. A company over there does not buy the raw materials like the most other countries. The government owns the natural resources and basically gives it to manufacturers.
They also don't have a crap ton of regulations to deal with such as insurance, social security, osha, etc etc.
It's hard to compete with someone that's playing by a different set of rules.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The establishment doesn't believe in workers' rights.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Manufacturing in this country is being crushed - butcherguy is totally right (as per the uszche). Great illustration talking about the 19cent sardines coming from Indonesia - slave labor (and greedy business practices) rule the world

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

The bright side is China just hired 25% more workers at $1.50 an hour.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
That's what happens if you aren't in a union. If you don't see how much better the economy is since Obama took over 7 years ago you were probably too young to remember what Bush and the republicans did to the economy and jobs with allowing companies to outsource everything overseas.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

To be fair, Clinton was the prez to sign NAFTA. How many factories have bailed in the last twenty years to the land of tacos and sombreros, and to a lesser extent, no worker rights and pennies on the dollar wages?

Both parties are just as guilty of appeasing their corporate overlords and the high finance overlords over them.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
a reply to: damwel

To be fair, Clinton was the prez to sign NAFTA. How many factories have bailed in the last twenty years to the land of tacos and sombreros, and to a lesser extent, no worker rights and pennies on the dollar wages?

Both parties are just as guilty of appeasing their corporate overlords and the high finance overlords over them.

True.
There are videos out there of Hillary out there as First Lady trying to drum up support for NAFTA.
There are videos of her made recently with her saying that she opposed it from the start.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

The TPP will be the coup de grace that finishes what NAFTA started.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

This reminds me of the whole undocumented workers thing...growing up in rural nowhere, there were always reports of INS coming to farms and meat packing plants and imposing fines...which the owners cut a check for and went right back to hiring illegals.

The people "in charge" will do everything to stay in charge and keep their corporate and finance/banking execs happy in order to keep being elected until time comes for a cushy advisory position in the private sector.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Makes no sense right?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have a friend that sells steel coils. I think he is called a broker but I call him a middle man.
Anyways, he says Chinese steel is killing the market and is usually junk. He sold 20% more product last year but made less money because of the low prices.

China has a huge advantage and it's not just labor prices. A company over there does not buy the raw materials like the most other countries. The government owns the natural resources and basically gives it to manufacturers.
They also don't have a crap ton of regulations to deal with such as insurance, social security, osha, etc etc.
It's hard to compete with someone that's playing by a different set of rules.

I look at it like this.

You know how Floyd Mayweather is always talking about only taking fights that are on a level playing field?

Well what he's saying is he won't fight guys who won't test with USADA for PEDS(steroids).

Think about Lance Armstrong and EPO, or professional fighting.

In order to stay competitive you HAVE to do steroids or you can't compete because so many people are doing it.

Well right now we're Mayweather and China is Manny Pac and the competition isn't fair because China is on steroids and we are fighting clean.

We need a level playing field and he only way to do that is increase tariffs on Chinese imports.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: DAVID64

The TPP will be the coup de grace that finishes what NAFTA started.

It already is.

When they enact the new banking regulations there's going to be a huge market retraction.

I'm going to try and get a student loan before that happens so I can go to trade school.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Not to mention Ford Mo Co building a plant in Mexico and plans to hire 2800 Mexicans. Maybe Ford's CEO should go live in Mexico if that's where they want to take their jobs.

www.forbes.com... rtner=yahootix#3047bf7b5961

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Not to mention Ford Mo Co building a plant in Mexico and plans to hire 2800 Mexicans. Maybe Ford's CEO should go live in Mexico if that's where they want to take their jobs.

www.forbes.com... rtner=yahootix#3047bf7b5961

Yeah, according to Bloomberg: "Mexico GDP Growth Beats All Forecasts"

Info from Trading Economics:

Mexican GDP Grows 0.6% in Q4, Beats Forecast
The Mexican economy advanced 0.6 percent on quarter in the three months to December of 2015, slowing from a 0.8 percent expansion in the previous period but staying above expectations of 0.5 percent, according to preliminary estimates. The services sector was the main driver of expansion while agriculture shrank and industry showed no growth.
Published on 2016-01-29

Mexico GDP Growth At 2-Year High
The Mexican economy advanced 0.8 percent on quarter in the three months to September of 2015, higher than a preliminary estimate of a 0.6 percent growth. It is the strongest expansion in two years boosted by a rebound in industrial sector and growth in services.
Published on 2015-11-20

Mexico GDP Growth Accelerates in Q3
The Mexican economy advanced 0.6 percent on quarter in the three months to September of 2015, accelerating from a 0.5 percent expansion in the previous period, according to preliminary estimates released by the statistical institute. Industry picked up while agriculture output rebounded.

www.tradingeconomics.com...

It's good to see someone is benefiting from all our lost jobs. /sarc

top topics

<<   2 >>

join