It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know of a free word processor program?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone knew of a free word processor program that's comparable to Microsoft Word.

I was using Microsoft Word 2010, which I liked, but now I get a message saying I must update it and it appears that the program is locked. Oh, I can open files in it but can't write. This sucks because I have a project that I'm working on and am using Wordpad to do it with. Wordpad sucks. There are no page breaks and there's no word count.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, I'm not sure if this matters but I'm using Windows 8.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

OpenOffice

You're welcome.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone knew of a free word processor program that's comparable to Microsoft Word. ...

Actually, you'll want to look at LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. The download page is here, and yes, there's a version for MS Windows.

LibreOffice forked off of OpenOffice back in 2010 and it's the most actively maintained word processor suite. I forget the details of why it forked. Used to know, but it's been years. OpenOffice used to be the suite that came with most Linux distros, but it's been LibreOffice for years now.

Don't mess with OpenOffice.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Listen to this guy. I use Libre as well it does everything I want/need it to do. I don't think you'll regret, I never have.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
Thanks! I'm downloading it now.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I guess it's personal preference.

I use libreoffice on my linux pc, but openoffice on my windows laptop.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

a reply to: TerryDon79
Thanks! I'm downloading it now.

download libre as well (see link above posters post). See which one you feel more comfortable with

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Downloading now. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You all came through for me great, just like I knew you would. Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is highly needed info for a lot of people.

Especially after Windows 10 decimated notepad.

Good to see it from people I trust and not digging through google while trying to avoid scams and viruses.

S&F.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

What did windows 10 do?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
vim, nano, sed, kate, gedit, notepad++, emacs and countless others in category of text editors. Full scaled word processor is often overkill and sometime can do lot of harm to formatting of document. I use LibreOffice but mainly its spread sheet application Calc.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

On my computer notepad was moved into a subfolder under windows apps, all the files I had saved were destroyed or translated into garble, or unaccessible. In the program itself all the fonts and other buttons were gone leaving me with basically a typewriter.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Good to see it from people I trust and not digging through google while trying to avoid scams and viruses.

That's why I came here for information instead of Google. I know very few people would lead me astray.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I just installed Libre. I have a bit of a problem. I copied text from Wordpad and pasted it into a new text file in Libre. At the bottom it shows that I have 4, 107 words and 8 pages but the pages themselves are blank. What did I do wrong?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Do you maybe mean WordPad? If so, you may need to open those files in a different format, I remember that being a thing with WordPad with some docs, maybe it changed things with the update. I never use WordPad, I use Notepad and it seems all the same to me, operates the same, old files open up fine. ?

On topic, thanks for the word processor suggestions, guys. Got myself a laptop. My first legit version of Windows (10) in years, can't afford Office right now. Busy downloading Libre

edit on 2016/4/7 by Jimjolnir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone knew of a free word processor program that's comparable to Microsoft Word. ...

Actually, you'll want to look at LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. The download page is here, and yes, there's a version for MS Windows.

LibreOffice forked off of OpenOffice back in 2010 and it's the most actively maintained word processor suite. I forget the details of why it forked. Used to know, but it's been years. OpenOffice used to be the suite that came with most Linux distros, but it's been LibreOffice for years now.

Might I inquire as to why staying away from OpenOffice?

Just curiosity sake, mind you.. Was it a bad experience, or are they just a bunch of slackers?

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

originally posted by: incoserv

Might I inquire as to why staying away from OpenOffice?

Just curiosity sake, mind you.. Was it a bad experience, or are they just a bunch of slackers?

Thanks!

LO forked off of OO in 2010. Some corporation had taken it over - can't remember which, maybe Solaris - and as I remember development had slowed to a crawl. The LibreOffice fork shot off and since then it has been the choice of the open source community.

Develop work on LO is more consistent and more rapid and the project has adhered to open source standards, as far as I know.
edit on 2016 4 07 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jimjolnir

Do you maybe mean WordPad? If so, you may need to open those files in a different format, I remember that being a thing with WordPad with some docs, maybe it changed things with the update. I never use WordPad, I use Notepad and it seems all the same to me, operates the same, old files open up fine. ?

On topic, thanks for the word processor suggestions, guys. Got myself a laptop. My first legit version of Windows (10) in years, can't afford Office right now. Busy downloading Libre

You won't need MS Office, maybe unless you do a lot of professional collaborative work with people who use it and do complex formatting. It even opens MS Office files without problem for the most part.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I just installed Libre. I have a bit of a problem. I copied text from Wordpad and pasted it into a new text file in Libre. At the bottom it shows that I have 4, 107 words and 8 pages but the pages themselves are blank. What did I do wrong?

Probably some binary formatting code or something like that. Just highlight the blank space and use your delete key.

<<   2 >>

join