It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Florida alligator may be the new record holder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Right now, a 14 foot alligator is turning to his wife and saying, "See Marge! I knew I'd be Number 1 someday!"

And his wife is mumbling under her breath, "Sure, but someone had to die first!"

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

The fact is, even the State of Florida does not relocate alligators that are trapped as "nuisance" gators by Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission. See the quote from the FWC website below:

--------------------------------

Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?
Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator.

---------------------------------------

Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission - Nuisance Gators

While alligators are still on many endangered lists, there is absolutely no shortage of them in Florida. They are everywhere.

edit on 6-4-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: I was repetitive, redundant and said some things more than once.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: intrptr

I think they made that up. One of the two guys was an alligator farmer…

So it may have been his livestock that he killed and butchered.
That should keep in the clear of those who would not want large wild animals killed.

Maybe he and his 'guide' buddy let it go in the pond and his buddy the 'guide' charged a huge fee for some city slicker to kill it.

I could probably find you a farmer or two that would love to let you kill some cattle for a huge fee.
I could understand the outrage if alligators were endangered in Florida, but 7,406 alligators were legally harvested in 2014. They aren't scarce, they are a nuisance in many locations.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Slave2theTruth

The fact is, even the State of Florida does not relocate alligators that are trapped as "nuisance" gators by Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

That must mean that they do something completely different with them then!

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Nice, i had to pay the permits for this and that and for anyone who asked, because i wanted to get a gator skull exported outside the us, because they are so endangered and blaablaa,

And meanwhile, people are causing harm in the ecosystem by killing all big ones so the smaller ones can swarm the swamps and they can kill all the gators they want forever and ever.

Protect-kill-protect-kill-killing is protection, whaat?

well, at least people can now complain about gators in their swimming pools.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think you'll find it a hoax. Look at the photograph. The aligator is hanging on the right side of the tractor as you look at it and the child is about 8 feet or more away from it on the left side of the tractor.
It's all in the perspective of the photo.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I don't think anyone will be eating this one...
too tough!

I would say the gator will be 'parted out' and or sold to be displayed.

It sure is a big one. I think the biggest on display (US) is in Alabama in a museum.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I'll take a bite with Delight

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I think you'll find it's not a hoax.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It's not a hoax, and it's not a skewed perspective photo.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
wow thats huge

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I understand the threat this alligator posed to both cattle and people.
It was estimated to have been at least 100 years old.

Couldn't they have just caught it and relocated it to somewhere that it posed less of a threat?

Ummm, you apparently have never eaten smoked alligator.

.... Your missing out, Kobe stuffed alligator?? Can't be any better IMO👍🏻
edit on 6-4-2016 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- my home state there is turning into the Australia of America. The wildlife is the deadly no-sh**s-given variety that can & does achieve huge sizes.
edit on 4/6/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Gotta love our American way of things, if you don't understand it and it scares you, kill it!

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Gotta love our American way of things, if you don't understand it and it scares you, kill it!

Ahhh, that's why I had such a hard time dating when I was younger!

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They still scare me....

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Well, to be fair, we were all raised that way!! So many lost ladies out there!

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Agreed , what a sad end for a magnificent creature.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Kill that thing.

Gators are dangerous and kill people.

Florida man killed by alligator while hiding from police

On November 23rd, the body of Matthew Riggins was found in Barefoot Bay lake. His body had suffered trauma consistent with an alligator attack.

“He probably went into the lake to hide from the officers and the dog, and at some point he came across that gator,” said Major Tom Goodyear with the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office.

The BCSO Dive Team encountered an 11-foot alligator while recovering Riggins’ body and the animal was euthanized by a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission trapper. Inside the alligator’s stomach, the Medical Examiner found proof of how Riggins was killed.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I understand the threat this alligator posed to both cattle and people.
It was estimated to have been at least 100 years old.

Couldn't they have just caught it and relocated it to somewhere that it posed less of a threat?

Did you just volunteer to catch a 15 ft, 800lb alligator?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join