It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA Plans To Decide Whether To Reschedule Marijuana By Mid-Year

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I disagree with your far reaching opinions of pot smokers. I have been around them all my life-smoked a bit myself. The pot smokers are definitely laid back types and I have to add not the brightest bulbs nor the most goal oriented types. They did not care about much in particular excepting chilling; which is okay with me.

However, the heavy drinkers that I know have been hard driven, high achieving type-A personalities who drank to relax from their hard working days. This group is by far the more intellectual and caring of the two.

I am sure there are exceptions and many who have experienced the opposite but this my experience.

By the way, I don't drink or smoke but could use the medicinal values purported by pot these days and definitely would be using if it would help me physically; and a little high would be okay.

What a bunch of stereotypical nonsense this is.......

All cannabis smokers lack motivation and all drinkers have this top notch work ethic . yeah ok

Eta: your XP sounds like the rare exception. The drinkers were the more caring of the two? I'm having a hard time with that one .
edit on 7-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

did you see the one that referred to the cannabis user as "smokey mcbong water"? I laughed SO hard-I thought it was a spoof, but my husband informed me it was a real video made for high school students.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I always thought the Dea enforced the laws, not makes them.... Who are they to decide anything?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: swimmer15

They are the ones in charge of the scheduling program that makes the drugs illegal in the first place.

Title 21 United States Code (USC) Controlled Substances Act
edit on 7-4-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Interesting! I know how the scheduling program works and how the DEA has authority to enforce it but i thought the actual scheduling of drugs came from HHS and FDA. I didnt think DEA had the authority to decide how drugs were classified.... Whats the point of HHS if thats the case?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

That's a good question. I have trouble keeping up with different agecies and what they are supposed to be doing.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You are correct. The DEA just enforces the scheduling that the FDA or HHS puts into place. However, the DEA does have a lot of input regarding such decisions.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
One of the first things that moron Obama sent out to DEA field offices when he was 'inaugurated' was to leave marijuana alone. Between Obama smoking dope and Bill smoking dope, the White House needs to be fumigated come January!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: daveinats

That was a good thing. Idiot though he may be, that was a damn good thing.

Also, it wasn't marijuana he advised the DEA to leave alone, what he did was tell them to stop raiding the legitimate medical marijuana dispenseries in Medical Marijuana States. The DEA had essentially been burglarizing these businesses and seizing the cash income even though what they were doing was legal in their (the dispenseries) respective states.
edit on Cpm1Thursday3620165530Thu, 07 Apr 2016 13:36:55 -05002016 by CagliostroTheGreat because: to add

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Skeptical like you too Krazy. The DEA yearly budget is around 3 billion with 1 billion for marijuana enforcement(just ball parking here). Alphabet agencies generally don't like their budget being cut by 1/3. Even with pressure from the FDA(who has a 4.5 billion yearly budget) there will be a lot of resistance. Be interested to hear what the FDA suggested it be rescheduled as. This is the same FDA that approved cigarettes for human consumption after all. A product that kills millions a year and if used like suggested will most likely kill you too. Both of these agencies are not concerned with public health. Not even sure it registers on their radar anymore. They are far more concerned with their yearly budget, spending said budget, and enforcing outdated laws and regulations.

Peoples jobs depend on this plant staying illegal. I wonder how many of the roughly 11,000 agents the DEA employs would have to look for work elsewhere? The fact is the whole DEA couldn't enforce Colorado alone with 12% of the 5 million residents admitting to smoking cannabis regularly. That's admitted i'd bet the real number is in the 20-25% range.

My personal feeling is the DEA should be abolished and all drugs be decriminalized. Violent crimes would plummet because most violent crimes revolve around the procurement of drugs. Fix supply issues and cut out the criminal element and it would be as safe as buying alcohol. We need to treat people with addictions like they are sick not dangerous. Jail is for the dangerous people in society that seek to harm us. NOT for people the government and society sees as undesirable...

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

i'd be surprised if this actually happens.

i will be happy when, in states that have legal recreational cannabis, people don't lose their job over cannabis use.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Ive seen a few local businesses that still have regulations on MJ use if it is legalized for personal use. You still cant be high at work, so they will DT you if someone puts in a complaint or youre "observed" being in an altered state of mind.

They still plan on testing employees in the Tribal nations too.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Given the - in my personal opinion - biased and at times outright dishonest testimony in the recent hearings and the paucity of credible pro-legalization proponents in said hearings, I expect absolutely nothing to change until far more states legalize and public opinion shifts to a point where it's overwhelming and no longer possible to ignore.

Currently there's still enough manufactured stigma that they won't face any significant backlash if they maintain the status quo. That will likely change over the next decade or so considerably, though. I expect it to be revisited at that time... unless by some miracle Sanders gets elected and starts a broad national conversation about it. But I doubt that will happen, and even if he did, I doubt that would be a priority once in office.

I hate to be pessimistic. It just doesn't quite feel like we're at that tipping point quite yet.

Peace.
edit on 4/7/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My opinion?

It should be "scheduled" the same as booze.

Let's concern ourselves with bigger issues.

The way I see it . They perpetuate issues for financial gain and(@musement) . The more lies filling our heads the better right?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Long as people don't smoke and drive I'm cool with it. I also hope they tax the snot out of it and pay down the debt. Like that will ever happen. I also feel that it does have some medical value, especially with cancer.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Great because the world really needs more poeple like this in it.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-4-2016 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

www.youtube.com...

What's that,actors?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: wantsome

www.youtube.com...

What's that,actors?
So what if it is I've seen people just as dumb from smoking. I'd say it's a pretty good portrayal.
edit on 7-4-2016 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Maybe you should try and refrain from painting with such a broad brush. I happen to know that your stereotypes are quite far from the actuality.

edit on Cpm5Thursday5720165730Thu, 07 Apr 2016 17:57:57 -05002016 by CagliostroTheGreat because: edit to add

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Agreed! We have enough bad asses with guns.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join