It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any machinist out there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hey all just wondering if there's any machinist here on ATS?

How's the demand?

Do you like the job you do?

That's really what I'm curious about I know here in Orange County they start at around 20$ an hour which to me is all I need.

Anyway thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I have done some in multiple trades.

The question is ..
Are you keen ?

Go and find an engineering/metal fab. Shop in any trade and give them a day of your tome in free labour as a taster .

I enjoyed creating things from a block of metal.

If you enjoy it, you will be good at it.

😃

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I will be going to school soon for machining. I spoke with the lead machinist at the factory I work in and he told me the last guy he was able to hire was 60 years old and the guy retired soon after.

There's a ton of demand for people willing to work in skilled trades. It will not be a waste of your time.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I'm in the UK and use machinists a fair bit. The one thing they all have in common is over running on lead times. I'm currently waiting for some steel channels to be machined which should have been completed a while ago but aren't done.

It sounds like it's just a problem with the suppliers I'm using. It's more than that - it's because there really is so much work for these companies that they are sinking in jobs. Not a bad thing. But if you're a grade A machinist then it's unlikely you're a grade A people manager.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Many companies that offer machining are usually small and their lead times are enormous. I'm not sure if that is what you're dealing with, but most on demand manufactured goods take a while, especially if they're quality.

I'm having a pair of kydex holsters made for my pistols. It doesn't seem like molding a kydex holster should be that much work, but if the maker is paying attention to detail and can only order materials based on orders received, then the lead time stretches out a bit.

I'll have my holsters in about two weeks. Anything worth having made to your own specifications is worth waiting the extra time, IMO.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

These are all from construction issue drawings. No hard machining or processes involved. I know what you're saying though.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I am an engineer (medical device industry - manufacturing) but work very closely with multiple machine shops who cut all our tooling and can tell you that there is definitely a shortage of good machinists.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I'm in the UK and use machinists a fair bit. The one thing they all have in common is over running on lead times. I'm currently waiting for some steel channels to be machined which should have been completed a while ago but aren't done.

It sounds like it's just a problem with the suppliers I'm using. It's more than that - it's because there really is so much work for these companies that they are sinking in jobs. Not a bad thing. But if you're a grade A machinist then it's unlikely you're a grade A people manager.

Agreed. The only way I am ever able to get my tooling from our shops on time is if I bug them every day on the progress

Like you said, it's not a bad thing, just very busy.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

DO IT!

It's a good ticket!

I don't know about Santa Barbara, but there are hundreds of machine shops in Houston. But if you can get trained, and really like it.......you can go anywhere.

Best trades jobs I've seen? Machinist, Electrician, Plumber, AC repair, and what's hot right now is Solar Panel installation, but you probably have to be an Electrician to do that. Your local Electricians Union probably has journeyman program for Electricians.

Here you go buddy!
www.ibew413.org.../unionactive/view_page.cfm&page=SBJATC20Getting20Started

edit on 6-4-2016 by TonyS because: Link repair!

ETA: ua250.org...

edit on 6-4-2016 by TonyS because: ETA

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm a welder fabricator. The thing is, is that these days companies try and screw you. The one place I worked at I had to machine alot of my own parts, fit them check them and then weld them all for the sultry sum of 14.50 an hour. Be careful who you work for because they will # you over.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I hire machinist to make tool and die sets that I use in my mfg. business. They seem to be busy as I have to wait sometimes weeks for them to finish my order.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

But if you're a grade A machinist then it's unlikely you're a grade A people manager.

Bull. Not too unlikely.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown
While I dont disagree with you, quite a few machinists I know are very good and they are almost as angry as the welders, they fit right on in. Lol some of them would tell someone to get ****ed before kissing ass and claiming they can make the impossible. They don't always do the best customer relations lol, come over to my booth and shut off my welding machine once to tell.me about something and see what happens

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Sorry. I guess you disagree with that. It was a sweeping generalisation and I was wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Thanks.

Is this something can be apprenticed or do I need to go to school for this?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I know are very good and they are almost as angry as the welders, they fit right on in.

That's true. Everyone wants their sh_t at the same time.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I still think machinists and what they do is an amazing skill.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I still think machinists and what they do is an amazing skill.

Is there a lot of opportunity to run your own business?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Sure, especially now. As was said, there aren't many machinists available for the jobs.

First, I would suggest you look into a local trade school and start there, if possible. Good luck.

Link to CNC info

This is similar to one machine I used to operate..
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I believe you're right, thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join