It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,400-Year-Old Greek CURSED Tablets Translated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If Hollywood taught us anything, it's "don't... for any sake... EVER READ CURSED THINGS!!!!"

Well! Now... this happened:

Five lead tablets that cursed tavern keepers some 2,400 years ago have been discovered in a young woman's grave in Athens, Greece.

Four of the tablets were engraved with curses that invoked the names of "chthonic" (underworld) gods, asking them to target four different husband-and-wife tavern keepers in Athens. The fifth tablet was blank and likely had a spell or incantation recited orally, the words spoken over it.

All five tablets were pierced with an iron nail, folded and deposited in the grave. The grave would have provided the tablets a path to such gods, who would then do the curses' biddings, according to ancient beliefs.
link

Since the tablets were translated and read, all 12 researchers have died in terrible accidents or have come down with terminal illnesses....

just kidding

But! Here is one of the curses. Read it in Latin to be cursed. (also just kidding, but probably don't do it.)

Dog's ear curse
"Cast your hate upon Phanagora and Demetrios and their tavern and their property and their possessions. I will bind my enemy Demetrios, and Phanagora, in blood and in ashes, with all the dead…"

"I will bind you in such a bind, Demetrios, as strong as is possible, and I will smite down a kynotos on [your] tongue."

edit on 5/4/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Greeks couldn't pay their tabs back then either I see.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

it sounds like a spell. cool
edit on 5-4-2016 by malevolent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Hmm. I wonder what those tavern keepers did to receive such ire!

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Refused to serve a drunk patron?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

HAHA.

More likely they got their patrons drunk and them relieved them of their purses!

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
First signs of what later became AA .

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Oh hell no.
Tavern keepers were liable for goat cart crashes caused by hammered barflies.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Perhaps a fellow tavern keeper trying to keep the competition limited by monopolizing the market via curses?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
And all the modern day interpreters have died mysteriously ? Or horribly ?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Strange indeed - maybe a rival bar trying to drive competition out? Is it important that they are husband-and-wife taverns?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
And all the modern day interpreters have died mysteriously ? Or horribly ?

No.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustAnObservation
Perhaps a fellow tavern keeper trying to keep the competition limited by monopolizing the market via curses?
how boring, instead of an interesting discuscion about the OP it is instead made a joke with no content pertaining to the OP

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147 eeeeks! not reading it! So the 12 researchers didn't die? I'm still not reading it.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
If Hollywood taught us anything, it's "don't... for any sake... EVER READ CURSED THINGS!!!!"

Well! Now... this happened:

Five lead tablets that cursed tavern keepers some 2,400 years ago have been discovered in a young woman's grave in Athens, Greece.

Four of the tablets were engraved with curses that invoked the names of "chthonic" (underworld) gods, asking them to target four different husband-and-wife tavern keepers in Athens. The fifth tablet was blank and likely had a spell or incantation recited orally, the words spoken over it.

All five tablets were pierced with an iron nail, folded and deposited in the grave. The grave would have provided the tablets a path to such gods, who would then do the curses' biddings, according to ancient beliefs.
link

Since the tablets were translated and read, all 12 researchers have died in terrible accidents or have come down with terminal illnesses....

just kidding

But! Here is one of the curses. Read it in Latin to be cursed. (also just kidding, but probably don't do it.)

Dog's ear curse
"Cast your hate upon Phanagora and Demetrios and their tavern and their property and their possessions. I will bind my enemy Demetrios, and Phanagora, in blood and in ashes, with all the dead…"

"I will bind you in such a bind, Demetrios, as strong as is possible, and I will smite down a kynotos on [your] tongue."

Hey hold on did it say Dog's ear curse??? so then to counteract the curse you need the hair of the dog?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

On the contrary, this contributes perspective. As such practice's were not only common place, but revered along with their gods. Therefore it would be a practical business venture to petition the gods andor use spellwork to get ahead. Whether or not you believe in such things is irrelevant to the existence of the practicebeliefs... Also I must point out that your replypost is the one that has contributed nothing, even if I just read deeply into a jest... Something to consider

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: Ghost147 eeeeks! not reading it! So the 12 researchers didn't die? I'm still not reading it.

Lol. Got ya

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: peppycat

Lol. Got ya
You did get me! It was like a late April Fools day treat!... was not expecting it, I was going to be all why did ya go and post it for us to read or even look at... then I saw the just kidding... made my day.

On a serious note, the tablet and article are very interesting and people practice such things to this very day! There are lots of folks today that practice spells and curses that use the underworld, graveyards and burying items... I didn't realize these things were so ancient.
Good find! Thanks for that.😊

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CyborgPirateNinjaJesus
a reply to: malevolent

On the contrary, this contributes perspective. As such practice's were not only common place, but revered along with their gods. Therefore it would be a practical business venture to petition the gods andor use spellwork to get ahead. Whether or not you believe in such things is irrelevant to the existence of the practicebeliefs... Also I must point out that your replypost is the one that has contributed nothing, even if I just read deeply into a jest... Something to consider
you act like you know but do you? really? as for spells and curses and how they work, i don't teach so as to put this as simple as i can about both spells and curses when you write a need or want then send it that is a form of a spell, the way you send it would be up to the practitioner, by fire is easiest however in this case it was buried and written on lead. at this point i could use more information on the other tablets
edit on 5-4-2016 by malevolent because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join