It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump calls Ford Mexico plant 'absolute disgrace'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Literally Trumps entire line of clothing is made in Indonesdia and China. What a joke this dude is.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: xuenchen

It's not like Detroit has an unemployment problem.

0_o

That is because Trump critics ran the automotive industry out of Detroit.

Just like they have run the rest of business out of this country to places like 'Mexico'.

When everyone is paying more for the labor to produce goods than what it actually costs to make them.

There is only one outcome.

Jobs leave.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
A job on the line is a job on the line.

Ford can either pay someone $16 here, or $4 in Mexico. They'll work longer hours, weekends, holidays too in Mexico. How can Americans compete with cheap labor like that?

I guess we ought to legalize sweat shops here in America...

Exactly.

Unfortunately that appears to be the future as long as our politicians need lobbyist money and positive pr from lobbyist owned MSM ,gop,and dnc for elections and re-elections

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Decided to look for car prices in Mexico vs US. Here is what I found on a 2011 blog

Question

I'd like to know is they mark up cars or deal on them as is done here in the U.S. and if the cost of a new vehicle is generally more expensive than the U.S. specifically for a higher end car. Im not looking to buy a temporary car for a trip. Read more: www.city-data.com...

Answer

Same models (Accord vs Accord) will be more expensive in Mexico than the US, maybe there will be some exceptions to this but in general that is the case. However you cannot buy the car in the US and take it to Mexico that easily (unless is for touristic purposes) as you will need to pay taxes to register it in Mexico which will make the car even more expensive than if you bought it directly in Mexico. For example, the Civic LX is 21,250 in Mexico where in the US is 17,755. A BMW X3 is marked at 44,300 where in the us is 36,000. There are some models that are not made/sold in the US that are significantly cheaper than any car in the US, for example the VW Pointer or the GM Chevy, among others, but these cars are definitely not high end as you mention. Cars from a dealership are negotiable but to a limited extent in Mexico, in general I've seen that prices bend more here in the US than what they do in Mexico. Read more: www.city-data.com...

www.city-data.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">link

I read recently that they pay Mexican workers 1.75 hr. This comes to all profit for the automaker which they partially return to those who can afford to by shares in the company.

All about increasing profits for shareholders which raises the share price which profits the elites of the company.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Funny thing as a side note.
Toyota has several factories in Indiana and they do just fine.
They also don't have a labor union.
Don't think those things are not related.

Don't forget NAFTA. Worst piece of crap ever.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And they would tell you that the reason is that the people running the companies they work for are not patriots.

Patriots would keep all the manufacturing at home, pay their staff a living wage, and accept that it will take longer to make a billion dollars. Everyone else will role with market forces.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So 110,000 a year is a "living wage"?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Is that what the lowest paid assembly line man gets paid?

If not, what's your point?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Trump critics?..sincerely WTF are you talking about..try NAFTA in 1994 and bloated unions

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
Literally Trumps entire line of clothing is made in Indonesdia and China. What a joke this dude is.

Good luck finding apparel manufacturers to hire to make your product line in the US. Trump probably sells enough apparel to keep a factory open one or two days per year.

If there is one billionaire who should be associated with closing down the US apparel industry and sending it overseas, it's actually Warren Buffet.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Average line worker in US gets 55/hour plus benefits.

That can't be right...

That's about $100,000 a year...

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Do any of you know what it's like competing in the modern market against companies who use slave labor?

It's likes sports and steroids.

Either you do them and compete or you don't and you lose.

Just don't get caught.

Business is exactly the same.

So what do we do. Blame the businesses because our trade policies or garbage, or fix the trade policies?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
A job on the line is a job on the line. Ford can either pay someone $16 here, or $4 in Mexico. They'll work longer hours, weekends, holidays too in Mexico. How can Americans compete with cheap labor like that?

I guess we ought to legalize sweat shops here in America...

The simple answer is, at the very least, a labor compensation tariff, and an environmental standards tariff. Simply charge a tariff to offset the savings in both areas with additional punitive penalties enough to incentivize paying workers and protecting the environment rather than just paying the penalties.

They are both currently illegal by multiple trade treaties, yet neither amount to unreasonable "protectionism." Both are actually highly desirable. If Mexico can still out-compete the US for factory jobs, at least their workers will be paid enough money to create jobs in Mexico, the US, or elsewhere by increased consumer spending.

And of course, that clean air and water etc are highly desirable should go without saying. Outsourcing pollution to Mexico is particularly stupid for the US because it very much effects the US anyway, in particular SoCal, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.
edit on 7-4-2016 by 11andrew34 because: redundancy

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

It came as a surprise to Subaru, but they are happy the Impreza WRX/STI can now be built in the U.S. The new-generation high-performance 2016 Subaru Impreza WRX/STI production is coming to U.S. shores for the first time.

Ugh, my car is 3 years old and now I feel like I should upgrade. Can't do it, I love her.

I remember changing my opinion on Ford when they didn't take a bail out. Then I realized they basically had, but earlier or something.

Only way I'm driving an American car is if it's a truck or a Corvette (seriously best deal on a sports car).

Consider this: When you carry out your trash at home on the next collection day, you'll be sending more trash to landfills than the entire Subaru manufacturing plant in Lafayette, Indiana (SIA). The Subaru plant was the first auto assembly plant to achieve zero landfill status - nothing from its manufacturing efforts goes into a landfill. It's all reused and recycled.

If Subaru can do it, why can't Ford?

I am totally shilling for Subaru. IDGAF. Best car I've ever owned. If you don't care about getting 20 MPG and being forced into supreme, like having a fun, quick (4.7 0-60 stock), safe, AWD car that is super reliable buy one. Easy to upgrade, easy to work on, takes me like 5 minutes tops to rip off the front bumper cover (supertones are finicky, but that's not Subaru's fault). Awesome customer service, insist you're allowed to take your dog inside, and if you find the "right" dealership they don't get sketchy about warranty work (which I haven't needed once) if you get a little cavalier (not the Chevy) and slap on some exhaust, chip it, get a new downpipe, get a little suspension crazy etc... Freaking Perrin.

Understeer issues can be resolved. *Rumble*

edit on 0720160420161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I say let em build their factory in Mexico. That's 2800 Mexicans that won't be sneaking into our country.

Then just stop using Explorers as police cruisers.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I got the number from a Bloomberg article, I guess I should have sourced it.

I just googled "average pay for line worker in Ford plants US".

<< 1   >>

join