It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Amish teen electrocuted in Ohio by drooping power lines

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Fred, I just dont see funny in the boy touching the power lines. As i said, it may well have been accidental, whos to say he wasnt using a stick and slipped? except the media of course. Why else mention he was Amish at all, except to "pump" the story. There is just nothing funny about an accidental death, period! If he was a Darwin candidate, say, standing on a metal ladder in water while working on wiring anf fried himself, then I might find humorous irony in his stupidy, fair enough. This story just didnt have it!
As for whatever jokes you make in the icu, that i can understand, im sure its to releive the phycological stress of working under such sad conditions, or something like that, Helps you deal with it on a daily basis, thats a different thing altogether than making fun of a boy getting electrocuted,
due to PERCEIVED stupidity and because hes amish. When it comes to PERCEIVED stupidity it may be case of the pot and the kettle here with certain folk imo.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
instar,

For one the story made the news because he was Amish. They are noteworth because of who and what they are. The fact that he was killed by a modern device he did not understand is the irony here. That is why people find it amusing. Not that he died but the manner it happened. The writer of the origional article made a point to mention the horse which some people have also found amusing. You are entitled to express your opinion and I respect you for that, but people find humor where they can

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
He and his family embraced ignorance and he paid the price for it in a way that resembles something with a punch line. Would you not laugh if some idiot put his hand under the mower to see if the blade was spinning only to get his hand cut off? Would you not laugh at someone that urinated on an electrical fence only to get shocked? Why try and twist it around to make it look like this is the media's fault. The guy was ignorant and did something extremely foolish.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
FredT

BUTTON CLICKY!!!
Resident Skeptic
ATSNN.com Reporter

posted on 073131p://00017 at 07:00 PM Post Number: 1085535 (post id: 1107428) quote

instar,

For one the story made the news because he was Amish. They are noteworth because of who and what they are. The fact that he was killed by a modern device he did not understand is the irony here. That is why people find it amusing. Not that he died but the manner it happened. The writer of the origional article made a point to mention the horse which some people have also found amusing. You are entitled to express your opinion and I respect you for that, but people find humor where they can

Indy

Ignore this user (info)
ignore

posted on 073131p://02017 at 07:02 PM Post Number: 1085536 (post id: 1107429) quote

He and his family embraced ignorance and he paid the price for it in a way that resembles something with a punch line. Would you not laugh if some idiot put his hand under the mower to see if the blade was spinning only to get his hand cut off? Would you not laugh at someone that urinated on an electrical fence only to get shocked? Why try and twist it around to make it look like this is the media's fault. The guy was ignorant and did something extremely foolish.

Yes Indy, did you read my post about Darwin candidates? So now deny ignorance is out the window because it suits you both? The media said he was ignorant and didnt understand electricity, you both just accepted it at face value. Either way thats hardly the point, as Grady said, the kid was 17, there are atleast a few dozen teenagers on this board atleast twice as stupid.

Yes Fred, the media did "pump" the fact the kid was Amish, naturally, it makes the story more intresting than if he wasnt doesnt it! We all know ,as I said before, the media dont let the facts get in the way of a good story. How many news sources have you heard called very unreliable here? why is this writer above adding or ommitting a few facts?
Bottom line a 17 t.o. kid was either , had an accident or was not educated by his parents about the danger, either way he died and it wasnt his fault.
Not Funny. Even if he did know it could kill him and was careless, the fact that hes Amish is neither here or there is it. If thats the case its simple youth stupidity, albeit fatal, neither of you were einsteins at 17 either ill bet. Still...........Not funny.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
"Would the owner of a black horse and buggy please come to the front of the store? You left your lanterns on."

Ok you can beat me now.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
LOl Indy, i respect your right to think its funny, I just dont agree. to me its just a story about a 17 y.o. kid who got electrocuted and died. its just sad. If it was my son Id be pretty urinated off at anyone making a mockery of his death.
I see it a bit like that kid in the movie "thin red line" i think it was, hes in a war zone with slugs flying thick and fast, a bullet richoches off his helmut and hes so amazed he takes his helmut off and sits up to look at it and gets a 2nd slug thru the head. Its stupidity, but sad, not funny. Im not above finding humour in human quirks and foibles but im a bit discerning.

[edit on 013131p://41011 by instar]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Makes you so mad you just want to go out and kick your cow.

ROFLMFAO!!!! Oh man I'm sorry. I'm just in one of those weird moods tonight. Banshee is going to kill me for this. This is gonna cost the point bank plenty I fear.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
LOl now ya got me laughin, give that cow a good kickin! LMAO

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
*shakes head*

Okay kids, calm down. Sheesh. Let's not get too mean or crazy, 'kay?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ever see that movie with Tim Allen about hiding in an Amish community? cant remember what its called but your cow comment reminded me of it! LMAO

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Nothing funny about this except the last line

"The horse pulling the buggy was uninjured"

I can imagine Gryf Rhys-Jones doing a news report about it from Not The Nine o'clock News.

Have to ask why does the title have "WAR" in it? i dont see how this is link to war.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by drunk]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Ever see that movie with Tim Allen about hiding in an Amish community? cant remember what its called but your cow comment reminded me of it! LMAO

"For Richer or Poorer", Tim Allen and Kirsty Alley.
Funny movie.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Thats it! thanks Sanctum!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join