It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Amish teen electrocuted in Ohio by drooping power lines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
An Amish boy has been electrocuted when his buggy became snagged in a downed power line. During the attempt to free the buggy he touched the 4800 volt line which was live and died on the scene. The Amish are a religious group that shuns modern technology and live in a past era

www.sfgate.com
17-year-old Amish boy was electrocuted trying to remove a power line that got tangled in his horse-drawn buggy's wheels, authorities said.

Samuel Barkman drove over a power line Tuesday that had sagged down within a foot of the road after separating from a pole, authorities said.

The line got stuck in the wheels and stopped the buggy. The boy got out and grabbed the 4,800-volt line in an attempt to remove it from the wheels, the Geauga County Sheriff's office said. He died at the scene.

The Amish are a deeply religious group who shun modern conveniences such as electricity, telephones and car ownership. About 53,000 Amish live in Ohio, the most of any state.

The boy was traveling south on a road near Geauga-Trumbull County line in northeast Ohio, about 25 miles east of Cleveland.

The horse pulling the buggy was not injured.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, no doubt their culture should be respected. However, some basic survival training may need to be implemented. I'm surprised that more of this does not happen. I do feel for the family of the boy in regards to their loss.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
"I can't help it... its sooooo beautiful... sssssssssTTTTTTTTTTTT!!! POP!!!!"

roflmfao!!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

roflmfao!!!!!

I have a pretty good (and macabre) sense of humour but I just don't seem to find anything funny in the accidental electrocution of a 17 year old boy. (innocent, youthful, tragic death trumps irony)

It's tragic that ignorance of the world the Amish (IMHO WRONGLY) separate themselves from was responsible for a needless death. Someone's son died and I'm just not laughing.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone that leads such a sheltered life yet chooses to mix his horse and buggy up with civilization. Its not like it was some 6 year old that found a life wire down in his yard. Its like the people that look into the tube of a fireworks tube to see why the shell didn't launch. Or the person that hits the chain of a motor cycle while the wheel is spinning to test the tension. Or the person that uses a hairdryer while standing on a wet floor. You can make every excuse you want for ignorance. These people choose to be uneducated when it comes to the real world yet they also choose to use some of the conveniences of the real world. Maybe now they'll learn about their environment.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I don't necessarily dispute anything you have said. I just don't find it funny.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It's not wrong to get a chuckle, or a good five minute belly laugh, off of something this singular. I've never heard a more poignant, hilarious, ridiculous story. It has all the makings of a great farce, truly. As always, I tip my hat to the Fates, they share my sense of humor. Come on, it's fun, do the Evolution..

"If Irony were strawberries Tom, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies.."
-South Park

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Okay, I have to admit I almost put in a Modern Darwinism comment in myself. No one is denying that it was a tragic event.
Edit: The part that really cracked me up about the story was the last line about the horse being okay

[edit on 1/12/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I dont find it the least bit darwin award deserving or funny! Despite what the writer said, he could have touched it accidently. The media never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
What amazes me is folk who find some twisted humour in this simple story, are probably those who would consider seriously some nonsense about alien abduction.

[edit on 113131p://290111 by instar]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

roflmfao!!!!!

I guess in relation to people dying by the minute everywhere else, I see where the humor is coming from. It's getting increasingly difficult to make sense of things these days.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by websurfer]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This reminded me a lot of the story not too long ago about the guy who took a litter of puppies out back to shoot them. When he picked up one of the puppies, he had the pistol he was going to use in his spare hand. The puppy kicked out and the gun discharged, hitting the ignorant, bumbling puppy murderer. The puppy was unharmed.
Doesn't this sort of thing tickle everyone pink? It should! It shows not only that we are governed by natural laws, but that our culture has an effect on our survivability to a great degree. We should all really know that, but it's nice to see the cogs turn, if you know what I mean. If the machine is working, and we're along for the ride, everything should turn out okay as long as we keep our grubby opposable thumbs off the cosmic gears.

I feel a little sorry for the kid's parents, who have to go through the 'painful' process of having more kids. I hear there're fun ways to accomplish that though. In the end, sorrow for a moment, and hope lingers. That's the way things are supposed to be, so I don't think any of us are out of line in gleaning some morbid giggles out of life's creative twists.

It's like being the soldier behind the guns of a better equipped army. It's sad that some people are tech savvy, but you wouldn't want to switch places. They made their decisions. The horse survived, if the kid is a teenager, his parents are probably still able to reproduce. He may even have siblings already. All of whom, will no doubt take great care in the vicinity of power lines in the future. One death could conceivably prevent many in the that community. But it's all up to them...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Yeah its sad that someone died. But that story is just loaded with humor. Forget he died. Pretend he just got smoked and his clothes were burned and his hair standing straight out. Had that been the ending and he walked away from it this story would have been the funniest in ages. It still is worth a chuckle just because of this "a man walks into a bar" type line. What would you think if some adult put on a cape and jumped off a building thinking he could fly and feel to his death? I'd be rolling on the floor too. There are a group of people on this planet that need to be told not to take Preparation H orally.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Finding humour in the misfortune of others, especially accidental misfortune is the lowest common denominator. I suppose some folk who know exactly where to shove preparation h might find tsunami victims floating around bloated real funny too!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It would be funny if they were found holding on to a surf board.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I have a confession to make. I'm trying to be nicer (New year's resolution and all) All I could think of when I read the story was Randy Quaid in "Kingpin" and I laughed.

I had a friend who was an appliance technician who serviced the wringer washer machines for the Amish community nearby. Since they weren't allowed to use electricity, they powered the washing machines by little gas engines. Instead of using the engines to power a generator that would provide electricity for the appliance they would rig up an elaborate series of pulleys that would turn the gears directly. Inevitably the loss of fingers would ensue.

Since there are no briggs and stratton engines in the Bible, and since their Rube Goldberg rigging was at complete odds with the simplicity they profess to live by, I just had to laugh when I would hear of the problems and injuries they encountered.

Death still isn't funny but as long as it isn't me or mine, I'm willing to look for the humour. And I'm a bastard for it.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I feel comfortable laughing because I have done some incredibly stupid things in my life that I laugh at now too. Like pulling a smoking wire out of a computer instead of turning the computer off. Yeah. Did that. OUCH. lol

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Actually, this could have happened to anyone's son. Even if the Amish eschew modern technology, they are surrounded by it and are not themselves stupid people. Having been seventeen at one time, I can just see the boy doing the first thing that came to his mind to fix the situation.

There is irony in every tragedy and it should strike as even more ironic when those of us who believe that we are the masters of technology are killed as a result of it. Remember that some forty thousand of us modern folk die as result of automobile accidents every year and an alarming number of those can be attributed to acts just a thoughtless as this one.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yeah.... and when a person runs off of a cliff because they are talking on their cell phone and putting on makeup... I laugh.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Actually, this could have happened to anyone's son. Even if the Amish eschew modern technology, they are surrounded by it and are not themselves stupid people. Having been seventeen at one time, I can just see the boy doing the first thing that came to his mind to fix the situation.

There is irony in every tragedy and it should strike as even more ironic when those of us who believe that we are the masters of technology are killed as a result of it. Remember that some forty thousand of us modern folk die as result of automobile accidents every year and an alarming number of those can be attributed to acts just a thoughtless as this one.

Grady, i dont often much agree with what you say, but damn, im impressed!

You have voted GradyPhilpott for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
What amazes me is folk who find some twisted humour in this simple story,

Dude you would be appaled then about what we talk about in the ICUs esp when dealing with death. However, to each his own I guess. Nobody is making fun of he person that dies. The situation or circumstances around it well thats another story.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It would be almost as funny if the cart got hit by a car becuase he didn't stop look and listen, lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join