It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1970's TV Movie I'm Searching For

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Okay guys, I'm pretty sure all of you out there can help me out. You all have each time I've asked!

There was, I believe a made for TV movie that I only got to see part of, or half of. It might have been a mini-series, but I don't remember too many mini-series being around at this point.

I saw that part back in 1977 or 1978, when I was 11 or 12. It more than likely aired well before that, as I saw it while I was living in South Korea where my dad was stationed. AFRTS (American Forces Radio and Television Service) aired stuff, but it tended to be behind the times of things airing here in the US.

Here is what I remember: There was a group of people, that I believe had been in a cave / underground. I'm not sure of the reason, but it may simply be because they were camping and cave diving. It was set in "modern times". When they got out, and came back to cities, they discovered that everyone seemed to be gone (or dead, can't quite remember).

The cause had something to do with the sun or sun flares, and radiation. At one point they used a Polaroid camera to check, and sure enough there were spots on the picture from radiation. I also remember them trying to find canned food in hopes that it wasn't contaminated.

That's all I can remember. I never saw the conclusion as it was bed time for me, hehehe, and I moved on.

Any ideas out there?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I believe you are looking for Where Have All the People Gone

A strange series of solar flares proves fatal for inhabitants of the Earth, except for the fortunate few who are somehow immune from the effects. Animals go insane and human beings turn to white powder, leaving behind only empty clothing. A handful of survivors attempt to rebuild their lives on the de-populated Earth.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Holy crap!

See? You guys are good!

I just took a look at it, and that's exactly the movie I was thinking of!

1974? Wow.....AFRTS really was behind the times!

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Never seen it but it looks damn good!

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's on Youtube

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Well done.

I would have guessed The World, the Flesh and the Devil.

A miner trapped in a cave-in resurfaces, and upon discovering mankind has been wiped out in a nuclear holocaust, sets out to find other survivors.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

And it's up on the tube as well!

ETA Ha! I see budzilla beat me to it.

Well done!

Looks like it starred Peter Graves, he of the silver haired lookalike club, including - Leslie Nielsen, Phil Donahue, Lloyd Bridges, Steve Martin, George Peppard and Lorne Green (amongst others)

edit on 5/4/16 by mirageman because: ETA

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
Never seen it but it looks damn good!

It was a B rated TV movie, but the concept was interesting enough to watch it. It has been so long since I seen it, I can't remember the ending now. Guess I'll have to Wiki it and refresh my memory.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

"Animals go insane and human beings turn to white powder"

At first I thought the synopsis was implying that the humans who survived became coc aine addicts, but now I realize that's not correct lol
edit on 5-4-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
And now I know where they seem to have gotten the story idea of Night of the comet. A cheesy 80's movie. LOL

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Night of the Comet was pure awesome!

Now if you want something really made of win, try this:

We saw this one on a local cable sci-fi afternoon feature, and as a child, I was scarred for life. My recollections are that it's about some kind of weird gut slugs that compel people to sexually assault others in order to spread themselves.
edit on 5-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Holy crap!

See? You guys are good!

I just took a look at it, and that's exactly the movie I was thinking of!

1974? Wow.....AFRTS really was behind the times!

There was a movie I looked for since the late 1990s. Others looked for it too. Never found it and got to thinking I'd imagined it or mixed it up with something else.

Neo96 found it this year

ATS beats Google sometimes.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Of course it's on youtube. I watched it a couple weeks ago. A good vehicle for Peter Graves. For a 70's flick, it was dated but still good. It's hard to reconcile movies as they change from B&W to Color and keep the objectivity. I prefer B&W, however I can not defend them as the 'best', but they add something beyond ...... perhaps a genteler time, a timo of our youth, a yearning for those times.

About the time you described the plot, it came to mind.... Hope you enjoy again....

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of a TV movie I saw back in my younger days. I couldn't remember what it was called only that it was very like "Back to the Future 3" in that it involved time travel back to the days of the Wild West. I thought it was good at the time.

Anyway one day I happened by pure chance to stumble across it on Youtube.

God it looked terribly dated 20 years later.

Then there was the Gemini Man (a sort of Invisible man with a LCD watch). A short lived TV series starring Ben Murphy when I was still a very young kid that I thought was brilliant then.

Hmmm! You think differently about these shows 40 years later. Even though others have worn the test of time.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Holy crap!

See? You guys are good!

Excellent I'd say, just watched the whole film and enjoyed it thoroughly in a cheesy retro mindset.
Your thread introduced me to a new old film, cheers, It was an interesting watch, from an entertainment and socio/historical perspective.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Just imagine if everyone was gone, the horror. Im glad we have the love and hope we have.

Find faith in love - Bald Pete

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Hot dang !

An "end of the world" movie I haven't seen !

I'll have to watch it tonight.

ATS rocks !

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure TBS aired this on one of their every Friday night campy B movie nights when I was a little kid. Those were the days, man! Ten years old, jury rigged (and pirated) Rural TV service Dish my Dad had found and brought home to me to try to figure out, staying up until the wee hours watching poor quality 70's EOTWAWKI themed movies with a swamp cooler and two box fans keeping my bedroom icey cold while it was still 100 degrees out. This movie, Gargoyles, Day of the Animals, many different radioactive mutated critters attacking people, Grizzly, Squirm, Empire of the Ants, Kingdom of the Spiders, Frogs, Killer Bees... all fond memories from my childhood. Between TBS' Friday night marathons (and WCW wrestling every Friday, Saturday, and Main Event Sunday nights), USA's Saturday horror "Up all Night", and Nintendo, I don't think I ever slept except on school nights.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Hmmm! You think differently about these shows 40 years later. Even though others have worn the test of time.

I know what you mean. As a kid, I loved the show "The Phoenix" (shout out to the three of you who know what I'm talking about).... My wife found a bootleg DVD collection of it. Man, it did NOT hold up well, LOL....

new topics

top topics

join