It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has The Great Flow Battery Battle Started?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

One of Germany’s largest utilities wants to build what it says could be the biggest 'battery' in the world to date – using underground caverns filled with saltwater as a giant redox flow energy storage system.

EWE GASSPEICHER, a subsidiary of utility EWE based in Oldenburg, northern Germany, said a few days ago that it wants to construct redox flow batteries inside underground salt caverns currently used for storing natural gas.

The university team then hit upon the idea of using the underground salt caverns as containers for the electrolyte. The underground caverns are often vast, offering potential for storing large amounts of energy. Initially, the project’s battery will be constructed and contained in plastic containers at another site before being transferred into the caverns.

Energy-Storage.news, June 30, 2017 - German utility EWE wants to build giant redox flow system in underground caverns.

The article points out it is safer than vanadium and probably cheaper. Oh, you have got love German engineering! There would be one anode cavern and one cathode cavern. Looks like they would pump out the electrolytes to a "membrane power station" for either charging or discharging. Probably both at the same time! Why limit yourself to just two caverns? Why not four? Charged cavern, flows across the membrane, then pumped to an empty cavern (both electrolytes can do this). When it is time to charge, reverse the process!

Besides the compressed air energy storage this is one wild idea! And redox flow batteries are not in heavy use!

They said the system could be operational by 2023 (same source).

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

For some alternative energy enthusiasts, Musk's deal wasn't good enough. Instead of buying Tesla's Powerwall, they build their own DIY versions using recycled batteries for a fraction of the cost. Then, naturally, they share their creations and swap knowledge with other hobbyists across the internet. DIY powerwall enthusiasts congregate on a dedicated forum, in Facebook groups, and on YouTube.

DIY Powerwall Builders Are Using Recycled Laptop Batteries to Power Their Homes.

I was having a chuckle at what people are doing and how they are circumventing the monopoly Musk wants on power storage using his product.

Then I thought, "Hey, if they can hack a Powerwall, well, what about a redox flow battery?" A quick google later and I read this article...

seeker.com, Nov. 2016 - Junkyard Metal Turned Into a DIY Super Battery.

Link to PDF at ACS Energy: From the Junkyard to the Power Grid: Ambient Processing of Scrap Metals into Nanostructured Electrodes for Ultrafast Rechargeable Batteries.

The gist is they used an electrical process on spare brass to make it "open up pores" where electron can gather (they actually did this to both anode and electrode), they put them in a jar, added a barrier to keep them from instantaneously reacting, attached some wires to both hunks of metals, and created a redox battery they say is similar to the Baghdad Battery in both design and operation (no harsh chemicals or acids here).

Well, why not do both at the same time?? Make a DIY RFB that is Powerwall sized? It would be easier than opening Li-ion batteries to scavenge usable cells. No need to replace individual batteries that fail either. Two glass carboys, some stoppers, some shielded wiring, then some kind of charge monitoring system.

Anyway, one of those ideas where it is possible. I do not have the space to do this myself. Maybe in a small demo, science project like way but I rent, so no real space to do this.

I know there are a few that can. And here is an idea that bypasses the entire industry. I like the redox battery and the fact these guys published this for anybody to access!

<< 4  5  6   >>

join