It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Loses 400 Jobs as PayPal Pulls Facility over ‘Bathroom Bill’

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc

originally posted by: Annee

The people who are hurt by these sanctions the most have nothing to do with the law.

Who voted these guys into office?

Wealthy Republican old-money types. The working poor are generally apathetic towards voting, at least on a local/state level. I thought that was common knowledge. Poor people don't make their own laws, rich people do it for them.

Then the working poor have no right to complain.

Or - - they can get out and protest.

Poor is an excuse. Everyone has the choice to educate themselves and get a career before pumping out kids they can't afford.

Choices make you poor.

This rationale is remarkably similar to what's employed by the conservative types you detest, who are out passing laws like this.

Blame the poor entirely for their woes? Very un-liberal of you. Inter-generational upward mobility is dead in this country and has been for decades.

But I bet it'd be different if we weren't talking about a bunch of dumb hicks, am I right? If it was some inner city blacks up north, it wouldn't be their fault at all. Oh no.

Please, you guys are slipping hard. I'm disappointed.

No its not. And who said I was Liberal?

A true Conservative is not a Bible Thumping Nut job. Those trying to make America a Theocracy are a breed of their own.

Blame the poor? NO. Blame people who just "fall through life" without making choices. You live with the consequences you create.

I know - - because I am one of those people. It is my fault.

It really is. You are talking just like they do, believe me. And I assumed you are a liberal, which was perhaps wrong, but I think that's what most people would classify you as going by your posts.

And it doesn't really matter what a "true" conservative is, because conservatism in the U.S. has been totally hijacked by Bible-thumping nutjobs.

Who are they?

Are they me who did not make good choices?

Me who could have gone to school instead of pumping out babies at age 20?

Hey, let's blame it on the people who did make the choice to get educated, have careers, and plan how they are going to afford and raise a family.

Let's blame everyone but ourselves.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Apparently they think hat some perverts will use that law to get close to your children. I've actually had Foxtards tell me that.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Apparently they think hat some perverts will use that law to get close to your children. I've actually had Foxtards tell me that.

Oh, I know.

And there is not one single incident of this ever happening by a transgender.

Clothes do not make a pedophile.

There's probably more attacks in elevator then restrooms. We should now "Gender Segregate" elevators. How about parking garages, or back stair wells.

No offense to Islam - - - but, should we now have partitions in restaurants that separate men and women?

edit on 11-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

It's a hint of a propaganda working.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Don't take this as an offense. Christianity and Islam can go fcuk themselves.
edit on 4/11/2016 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Don't think it's as an offense. Christianity and Islam can go fcuk themselves.

Well, as an atheist . . .

But, there are good people who believe in God.

The difference is living your life as you believe your God wants - - - and forcing it on others.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The difference is living your life as you believe your God wants - - - and forcing it on others.

Don't see any difference.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Don't see any difference.

How about accepting others as they are - - without judging them in your belief.

There are many LGBT God believers. Not everyone can or wants to "take a virtual knife" and cut off a major part of the culture they grew up with.

Many would rather readjust it to accept them as they are.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Like Samoa. They see people as people. Like spirits.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The people who are hurt by these sanctions the most have nothing to do with the law.

Wealthy Republican old-money types. The working poor are generally apathetic towards voting, at least on a local/state level. I thought that was common knowledge. Poor people don't make their own laws, rich people do it for them.

Poor is an excuse. Everyone has the choice to educate themselves and get a career before pumping out kids they can't afford.

Choices make you poor.

This rationale is remarkably similar to what's employed by the conservative types you detest, who are out passing laws like this.

Blame the poor entirely for their woes? Very un-liberal of you. Inter-generational upward mobility is dead in this country and has been for decades.

But I bet it'd be different if we weren't talking about a bunch of dumb hicks, am I right? If it was some inner city blacks up north, it wouldn't be their fault at all. Oh no.

A true Conservative is not a Bible Thumping Nut job. Those trying to make America a Theocracy are a breed of their own.

Blame the poor? NO. Blame people who just "fall through life" without making choices. You live with the consequences you create.

It really is. You are talking just like they do, believe me. And I assumed you are a liberal, which was perhaps wrong, but I think that's what most people would classify you as going by your posts.

And it doesn't really matter what a "true" conservative is, because conservatism in the U.S. has been totally hijacked by Bible-thumping nutjobs.

Who are they?

Hey, let's blame it on the people who did make the choice to get educated, have careers, and plan how they are going to afford and raise a family.

Babies can be an economic commodity for the underclass. I'm not talking about you in particular, but generally this is true in a "welfare state."

Let me share with you a secret. When you've grown up in an impoverished area, have been afforded only the barest minimum in education, and learn all your behavior and "life skills" (or rather coping strategies) from inept parents, it really isn't your fault.

Once you hit about age 10 in that sort of environment, you are quite literally f*cked as far economic success. The mindset of poverty has already infiltrated your brain to the core, at that point it's all ingrained neural pathways and mental conditioning. Like training a dog in the art of misery and stasis.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Choices make you poor.

Who are they?

Babies can be an economic commodity for the underclass. I'm not talking about you in particular, but generally this is true in a "welfare state."

Excuse

Let me share with you a secret. When you've grown up in an impoverished area, have been afforded only the barest minimum in education, and learn all your behavior and "life skills" (or rather coping strategies) from inept parents, it really isn't your fault.

I did. The school principal bought our shoes.

And yes, it is my fault for not evolving beyond where and what I was born into.

Many people have.

EDIT: I did have plans. But, I had an un-diagnosed physical problem that got in the way. Instead I got married and had kids. I love my kids (and grandkids), but it was a very irresponsible and stupid choice.

edit on 11-4-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Something to consider (and i know its a petty point)....but what is old becomes new again. And vice versa.

At some point in the next 500 years, LGBT folks will be on the short end of the stick again. Then they won't be, before they are again.

Its not that folks 100 years ago were more ignorant. Its just that this, too, shall pass.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija
Too good to pass up!

Spot-On Billboard Debuts In North Carolina, Home Of Anti-LGBT Bigotry

I like it

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Going a bit offtopic here, but:

Poor is an excuse. Everyone has the choice to educate themselves and get a career before pumping out kids they can't afford. Choices make you poor.

Yes. But human beings model what they know. If they grow up in a world where few seem to do much economically and most have children young that is likely what they will do. This is not a personal failing. There are millions of years of biology at work in human behavior and that biology says animals model what they know.

(This pertains to this thread too, of course, since tribalism is fairly normal as biology and I think is demonstrated by some of the fear and aggressive action towards otherwise innocent, non-harmful populations such as the LGBT. In solving any problem we should look for what doesn't countermand biology, or subtly relieves such pressures, if possible.)

It is instead an "exceptional" thing when someone really reaches outside their norm. But even that someone had elements in their life others didn't, to drive or to entice them there -- something or someone they saw, they dreamed, they believed, that made them try. I take credit for working hard in my life but I can't ignore that without a lot of good people and a lot of fortunate trivias I'd have joined my friends in the mostly different life from the lower-lower-lower middle class from which my family originates. Most of my best qualities I owe to the inspiration of others, directly or indirectly.

There are Constructionists (e.g. George Will, and the founding fathers) and then there's everybody else. Since almost nobody falls into the former category anymore there are few 'true' conservatives but that's ok because there aren't any 'true' progressives anymore either. Neither party is recognizable at this point.

Both parties were long ago corporatized and monetized into an entrenched far extremes cola war -- those wings are on the same bird.

(The fact that Obama did nearly everything Bush did and then about a hundred things more/worse ought to have opened peoples' eyes to this -- it doesn't matter who is in the chair. [But we will of course continue to blame George Bush Jr. for every single failing in the U.S. Government until 2063, as planned.])

Social media appears to have finished off whatever brain cells might have been left in the population when it comes to politics. If we get the government we deserve and majority rules, we're doomed.

Back to the point: An historical look at the USA culture will show you that uber-religious (and usually incredibly racist, past stuff is so shocking) nutjobs have in fact been the mainstay of "social outcry" on both the left and right for a very long time. What we all mean is that "lunatics should not be leaders" but unfortunately the people with the drive to put themselves in that position are often... lunatics. And others don't, or don't fight it much, because they are busy having a life and really just don't want to dedicate themselves to the chaos of it.

So the bible-thumping thing isn't really new it's just that like everything else, it's more egregiously obvious now than it used to be. Partly because the rest of the population is more aware.

To not definitively choose something-else, is to choose the default. Maybe it wasn't a very consciously made choice but I believe it was still a choice on some level. And there is not really a good or bad in that, it merely is what it is. I know plenty of people who from the outside one could say chose poorly but loved their life and they may be poor through it and still but they are happy and found fulfillment in many ways. I know executives with huge homes and kids who hate them who secretly envy their friends who were single moms when young and still work waiting tables. They don't envy the job or money but they envy that they're surrounded by people that make them happy.

Pretty much all research on this echoes human experience: what matters to personal happiness is mostly one's relationships with other people. Some of the poorest people in the world are obviously happy and some of the richest miserable.

I think you have bought the mindset, internalized the negative voice, of those who would say so and it's nobody's place to do so, and it's an arbitrary judgment anyway.

I made the best choices I could, have had a career, and planned a family. Didn't marry until 30, only had one kid after. That doesn't mean anything went as I planned, and that doesn't mean I'm any better off (except financially likely) than I would have been had I had a kid at 18 as a single mom. It's a huge assumption to just figure that a different decision would have magically made everything good. Sure, decisions matter, especially to money situations, but the elements that make up human happiness don't have that as the highest point.

And "stuff happens" no matter what you choose. I mean, I didn't marry till 30, and my husband ended up leaving the country so I was a single mom all my life with zero support. This after working my ass off to not go that road.

And back to the thread topic (I feel morally obliged to make all posts on topic if possible, even if it's a stretch), the community of transgender persons -- all of them but especially children -- are probably a good example of people in a situation where of all the things they worry about in their life, money (while important to anybody for basic needs of course) is likely not at the top of that list at all. Friends and family who love and accept you and a social and cultural environment where you can live and let live, probably mean a lot more.

RC

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

Oh my Lord, i think I love you. Or, at least your mind.

Yes. All of it. Yes. I've said bits and pieces all over the place....but you put it all right there. In a single post.

That will just be my copy paste for everything social and political for the rest of the eternity. Well done.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedCairo
Going a bit offtopic here, but:

Poor is an excuse. Everyone has the choice to educate themselves and get a career before pumping out kids they can't afford. Choices make you poor.

Yes. But human beings model what they know. If they grow up in a world where few seem to do much economically and most have children young that is likely what they will do. This is not a personal failing. There are millions of years of biology at work in human behavior and that biology says animals model what they know.

Only have a sec, gotta go pick up a kid.

I have stated (many times), culture is the hardest thing in the world to change - - - and should we?

Didn't work out so well forcing the indigenous into "white man" schools.

However, continuously using it as an excuse to remain in a culture of poverty in America - - - that I'm not accepting.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I made the best choices I could, have had a career, and planned a family. Didn't marry until 30, only had one kid after. That doesn't mean anything went as I planned, and that doesn't mean I'm any better off (except financially likely) than I would have been had I had a kid at 18 as a single mom. It's a huge assumption to just figure that a different decision would have magically made everything good. Sure, decisions matter, especially to money situations, but the elements that make up human happiness don't have that as the highest point.

HA! You should hear my life.

Nothing went as planned. Now I'm Granny Nanny to my 8 year old high functioning grandson who's dad died of Leukemia before grandson was a month old. Money? Not even enough to discuss. Yes, kid tested by state. However, came out borderline and due to budget cuts - - no assistance.

And that's just the last 8 years.

STILL, stand that the culture of poverty in America is mostly an excuse. Even mine. I could have made better choices.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: RedCairo

Oh my Lord, i think I love you. Or, at least your mind.

Yes. All of it. Yes. I've said bits and pieces all over the place....but you put it all right there. In a single post.

That will just be my copy paste for everything social and political for the rest of the eternity. Well done.

Seriously. Check out the paintings of our forefathers. All the men were transgender women back then.

Then we have the ancient Greeks....

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

edit on 11-4-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

HA! You should hear my life.

Nothing went as planned. Now I'm Granny Nanny to my 8 year old high functioning grandson who's dad died of Leukemia before grandson was a month old. Money? Not even enough to discuss. Yes, kid tested by state. However, came out borderline and due to budget cuts - - no assistance.

And that's just the last 8 years.

STILL, stand that the culture of poverty in America is mostly an excuse. Even mine. I could have made better choices.

It's not really mostly an excuse. It's basic sociology. It may be a culture and that may be the factor but culture has an incredibly powerful effect over world view. Especially for children. It may be an illusion but ultimately our system can not exist without poverty. There physically are not enough decent jobs.

Prior to 1920 80 percent of the population was working class. Mostly what would be considered poverty by today's standards.

It's definitely encouraged for a reason this culture of poverty and it definitely is an illusion but it also is a cult and serious belief system manipulation.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29 >>

join