It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Russia to sell defense system to Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
A scheduled meeting between Russian President Vladamir Putin and Syrian President Bashar Assad on Janurary 24th in Moscow will be about Syria obtaining SA-10 air defense systems. Further news of this comes on the report of a warning given to Syria from the United States.

DEBKA

Disturbing reports were coming out of the Russian capital Wednesday, January 12, about Russian president Vladimir Putin’s plan to accede to Syria’s request for advanced weaponry during president Bashar Assad’s visit to Moscow on January 24. DEBKAfile’s US and Israeli security sources quickly contradicted reports that 18 Iskander-M or SS-X-26 surface-to-surface missiles were on the table. The items for sale, they revealed, are advanced SA-10 air defense systems of the type that protects Moscow and shoulder-held SA-18 anti-air missiles, whose transfer to the Hizballah and/or Iraqi guerrillas would move at least two sets of goal posts in the Middle East balance of strength.

The SA-10 is an effective defense against Israeli warplanes and missiles, including cruise missiles. Its presence in Syria would therefore knock a serious hole in Israel’s deterrent ability against Assad and the Hizballah.

The Kremlin’s willingness to sell these items to Israel’s northern neighbor and backer of Iraqi insurgents is a rocket from the Putin to the White House in Washington, a declaration that he has had enough of sitting on the sidelines and watching US move the January 30 election pieces around the Iraq board and tilt the Palestinian ballot in favor of Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) as Yasser Arafat’s successor.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Russian expert defends arms sale to Syria

Russia Herald

The expansion of Russia's arms trade with Syria was beneficial for Moscow and did not violate international norms, said Vladimir Anokhin, vice President of the Russian Academy for Geopolitical Problems.

The development of military-technical cooperation with such countries as Syria benefits Russia and does not threaten the security of third countries, he told Interfax, while commenting on media reports of Israeli anxiety over possible deliveries of Russian Iskander-E missile systems to Syria.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My, my, what do we have here. In other reports about Saddam Hussein's discussions with one of his lawyers, He claims to have warned Syria that the US also had plans on the table to attack them. Allawi has also suggested that targets be hit in Syria because they are training grounds for insurgents. Are there not also rumors that Russia may have helped any WMD's that may have been Iraq. The Plot thickens....

[edit on 12-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Just in time for President Bush's planned attack on Syria. :shk:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The S-300PMU [SA-10 land-based, SA-N-6 naval version] surface-to-air missile system is able to engage a number of targets simultaneously, countering intensive aircraft raids at low-to-high altitude. The SA-10 offers significant advantages over older strategic surface-to-air missile systems, including multitarget handling and engagement characteristics, a capability against low altitude targets with small radar cross-sections such as cruise missiles, a capability against tactical ballistic missiles, and possibly a potential to intercept some types of strategic ballistic missiles.
www.globalsecurity.org...

Builder Almaz Scientific-Production Association

Lemgth 7.0 m 7.5 m - 48N6 S-300PMU1

Diameter 0.45 m 0.50 m - 48N6 S-300PMU1

Weight 1,480 kg 1,800 kg - 48N6 S-300PMU1

Propulsiom Single-stage, solid-fuel rocket

Range, (km) 45 km - 5V55K 90 km - 5V55R 150-200 km - 48N6 S-300PMU1

Altitude, (m) 30,000 m

[edit on 1/12/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Whao these two countries had not meet yet but the administration knows for sure of their evil intents.

I wonder.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Imperialism is Imperialism whether it be under the hammer & sickle or the stars & stripes. The war on terror is just a cover.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Now before all you sabre-rattling, republican war mongers start again expousing the potency of the United States military, I ask you hold off until you understand what this is all about.

Bush and the US neo-cons have been laying down the law for the last 4 years, with total disregard for the strength of the Soviet Union. When Bush looked into the eyes of Vladimir Putnin he didn't really see his soul. He probably saw a blank stare that said, "Go ahead and kick a little ass, but don't take me for granted".

Well, Bush has taken the Soviet for granted along with the rest of the nuclear countries. If there was ever time for diplomacy, it's now. But Condy rice lost her credibility along with Cheny and Bush.

This is going to get interesting.

Can't wait to start reading here, about how were going to kick Russia's butt for interferring.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Wait Kazi, don't be to hasty I believe that is Ms. Condi wanted all alone a nice third world war to bring stability to the world.

I one of her address before the 9/11 Ms. Condi told the congress how a world war will not only bring stability to the world but also a more stable and prosperous world also in wish we all can benefit from it.

Also she make sure that the US should be the one to make all this happened.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Wait Kazi, don't be to hasty I believe that is Ms. Condi wanted all alone a nice third world war to bring stability to the world.

I one of her address before the 9/11 Ms. Condi told the congress how a world war will not only bring stability to the world but also a more stable and prosperous world also in wish we all can benefit from it.

Also she make sure that the US should be the one to make all this happened.

Can you provide links? Marg, you should know by now....you need links to back up such a claim.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Last I checked, the Soviet Union didn't exist anymore. It's just Russia now. Little old Russia.

This isn't the first time Russia has sold weapons to Syria. They've sold advanced SAM's to Syria plenty of times. You know what? They were proven ineffective for various reasons against conventional Israeli planes.

These aren't any real threat to America, or even Israel.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Sure after all it was a very nice thread by Fred I told him it was going to be a keeper for people like you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wonder if Ms. Rice knew how far she will go on her political position.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
These aren't any real threat to America, or even Israel.

This system is supposed to be better than the Patriot Missles, this could totally wipe out any Air attack.

More info on SA-10

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
South Korea had the option of buying the S-300 or the PAC-3. They chose the PAC-3.

And no, they, nor the Patriot could whipe out any air attack completely. Iraq had very advanced Russian SAM's as well, and they weren't very effective. Cruise missiles, and stealth make what you're talking about impossible.

Plus, SAM's have been beaten by conventional means in the past. Syria had huge amounts of the very best Russian SAM's deployed during the Six Day War. They were no threat to Israel.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Now back to the topic, this is really interesting. Why would president Putin want Syria to be armed and ready if there is a conflict with the US and coalition? Is it possible that the Russian government did not count with having to hide once more the same wmd that Putin and the former "communist dictators" before him sold to Iraq?

If people would read what all those former Russian military defectors have said, you will find that they seem to have been right. President Putin knows that if those wmd are found, they will once and for all implicate his government, along with some other countries, in the selling of wmd, and aiding in the creation of wmd programs even under the sanctions of the UN to Iraq.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think everyone already knows Russia sold weapons to Iraq. Pretty much everything Iraq had came from Russia, followed up by France.

Arming Syria doesn't have to be anything personal from Russia. Weapons sales are a big deal to them. They've been forced to weapons they can't supply their own military with to nations like China. It's basically Russian policy that if you have the cash, they have the weapons. Just about the only exception they'd probably make would be NATO countries.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Little-old-russia? That's like saying little-old-jupiter. And yes, those little anti-aircraft missles will stop an attack. There won't be an attack. We don't attack countries anymore, that have viable air defences, no matter how bad you want it. Five years ago we wouldn't stand for the death of american soldiers being wasted, so maybe you are right. So what if we were to lose a few hundred fighters and bombers

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Iraq had these same SAM's during both wars. They had a lot more dangerous air defenses. So did the Serbs.

By the summer of 1990, Iraq possessed 16,000 radar-guided and heatseeking surface-to-air missiles (SAMs), including the Soviet SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, SA-7, SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, SA-14, and SA-16, and the Franco-German Roland. Additional air defense was provided by Air Force interceptors and organic Army assets, including the SA-7/14, SA-8, SA-9/13, SA-16 missile systems, and the ZSU-23/4 self-propelled AAA system. In addition, the Iraqi air defense had more than 7,500 AAA pieces protecting all targets of value, some deployed on the roofs of numerous buildings in Baghdad housing government facilities. These weapons -- 57-mm and 37-mm AAA pieces, ZSU-23/4 and ZSU-57/2 self-propelled AAA systems, and hundreds of 14.5-mm and 23-mm light antiaircraft weapons -- formed the backbone of the integrated air defense network. In major high value target areas (such as Baghdad, airfields, chemical agent production complexes, and nuclear facilities) the combined arms air defense could prove lethal to aircraft operating below 10,000 feet.

Source - globalsecurity.org...

Iraq's defense system was supplied by Russia, and designed by China.

America's B-2's, F-117's, and F-22's were designed to penetrate future air defenses. Syria getting a few S-300's is no threat.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sure after all it was a very nice thread by Fred I told him it was going to be a keeper for people like you.

For people like me? oh my, don't we have a superiority complex now.

BTW, i read the thread....how exactly does she say that there will be a new world war?.... or that they are pursuing world war III?.....it doesn't Marg.... you obviously misunderstood....Let me quote that part which i think you translated as Condolezza Rice wanting WWIII....

To be sure, there is nothing wrong with doing something that benefits all humanity, but that is, in a sense, a second-order effect. America's pursuit of the national interest will create conditions that promote freedom, markets, and peace. Its pursuit of national interests after World War II led to a more prosperous and democratic world. This can happen again.

Excerpted from.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, if you read that statement again, you will see that she was refering to the fact the US pursuit of national interests after World War II, led to a more prosperous and democratic world. She is stating a fact....she is not saying that they wanted WWII to happen, or that they want WWIII to happen Marg. She is saying that the same pursuit of national interests will lead to a more properous and democratic world.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Now back to the topic,

If people would read what all those former Russian military defectors have said, you will find that they seem to have been right. President Putin knows that if those wmd are found, they will once and for all implicate his government, along with some other countries, in the selling of wmd, and aiding in the creation of wmd programs even under the sanctions of the UN to Iraq.

I agree on this possibility.

Now Off Topic:
Would you also believe that they have sold the now called 'suitcase nukes' to terrorist groups?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I read the link the way it shows a preparation and the planning of what the administration had in mind for the world and our nation.

You take it anyway you want but the truth is coming out.

Things did not happend overnight, they have been in the table for a long time.

Ms. Condi is quite the policy maker, she will do great in her next position beside Mr. Bush and his view of the world.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
Syria getting a few S-300's is no threat.

I don't think its a matter of threat right now. Why they would be doing this, and why Russia, who is supposed to be against terrorism, would be selling a defense system to known terrorist supporters? It seems like something is going to blow (no pun intended) in the Middle East soon, and it does not involve Iraq.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join