It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whould you get in this if I told you it goes to the moon?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Would a modual that is covered With cardboard boxes, tinfoil and held together With tape withstand the force of the landing...There is atmosphere on the moon. So there would be forces working on the exterior.

The moon is not a absolute vacuum. The rocket engine on that thing would for sure loosen some of the paper that seams like it is held together With tape. The glue on the tape wouldnt hold in temprature Close to -270.4°C. The glue would freeze and fall of.

The core temprature of the tape or the cardboard plates dont have -270.4 C temptrature. These would freeze/gain weight. I dont think the tape would hold.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Would you get into an aluminum/magnesium caccoon in a TANK based war?
YOU VOLUNTEER AND DO AS ordered with the hope it won't kill you.
America DOES like to bring their own HOME and dead astronauts are bad publicity.
edit on 8-4-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

Assumption is the the mother of all f---up's.

Read up on what you think because you assume to much

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I would get into a nylon sock if the technicians said it could go to the Moon. Especially if the said nylon sock belonged to the lead female character in the aforementioned film:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66
Would a modual that is covered With cardboard boxes, tinfoil and held together With tape withstand the force of the landing...There is atmosphere on the moon. So there would be forces working on the exterior.

The moon is not a absolute vacuum. The rocket engine on that thing would for sure loosen some of the paper that seams like it is held together With tape. The glue on the tape wouldnt hold in temprature Close to -270.4°C. The glue would freeze and fall of.

The core temprature of the tape or the cardboard plates dont have -270.4 C temptrature. These would freeze/gain weight. I dont think the tape would hold.

How? How have you not been head hunted by every space agency in the world yet?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

cardboard plates

Where are the cardboard plates on the outside of this craft?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

cardboard plates

Where are the cardboard plates on the outside of this craft?

Next to the cardboard knives and forks!

(Sorry, but I just had to)

edit on 842016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

So am I hearing that NASA got a couple of refrigerators boxes and taped them together to make the lander?

I think it was a bit more advanced then that design, but I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

So am I hearing that NASA got a couple of refrigerators boxes and taped them together to make the lander?

I think it was a bit more advanced then that design, but I could be wrong.

You forgot about the cooker, table and chairs and most of all, THE KITCHEN SINK.

(my joke level tonight is bad. I do apologize)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: spy66

Assumption is the the mother of all f---up's.

Read up on what you think because you assume to much

Dont we all
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Look at this flimsy piece of garbage d2oah9q9xdinv5.cloudfront.net... we're expected to believe that troops go in that thing? Look at those flimsy leaves and moss, that thing wouldn't stop a rock let alone heavy arms fire.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

It's amazing what conclusions you can draw from a 1 minute clip from an hour and twenty minute press conference when you ignore all the jokes and the laughing.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

I don't see how a dutch art museum misidentifying a piece of petrified wood is proof of anything more than art museums tend not to employ geologists

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: captainpudding

Nice lol.

Also, did you know about the thickness of aircraft skin? I've pulled a few from the net.

MD88 skin is 1.0 - 2.0mm
F100 skin is 1.0 - 1.4mm.
B747 skin is 1.8 - 2.2mm.
A320 skin is about 1.1mm.

Apollo skin is about 0.3mm

Apollo had little atmosphere and gravity to contend with. It also had no weather to protect anyone from.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It always baffles me how many people operate on the principle of "it doesn't look like star trek so it's fake" It was designed to go to the moon, not to look good.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: captainpudding

Exactly!

Look at the first motorbikes, cars, planes and trains. Not the prettiest things, but they did what they were designed to do.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Schmoe1223

There are plentiful deposits of both Helium 3 and Titanium on the Moon and its also the perfect place to launch missions to the other planets. How much more reason to return does humanity require is the real question?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I'm not sure the rewards for any kind of mining would ever repay the cost of mining it - we'd just be spending a lot of one form of energy to get another.

I'm also not sure about the benefits of it a a launch platorm - you still have to get to it, and make sure you're pointing in the right direction.

For me its real benefit is as a research outpost, testing techniques for use elsewhere and (for the far side) observatory.
edit on 9/4/2016 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

"I'm not sure the rewards for any kind of mining would ever repay the cost of mining it - we'd just be spending a lot of one form of energy to get another."

The Helium 3 and Titanium do not necessarily need to be returned to Earth but could be used for construction/energy purposes on the Moon or to build/power space craft right on site. Also building a Mass driver/electromagnetic catapult could indeed make launching both space craft and returning minerals to Earth both viable and cost effective, long term.
edit on 9-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

"I'm not sure the rewards for any kind of mining would ever repay the cost of mining it - we'd just be spending a lot of one form of energy to get another."

The Helium 3 and Titanium do not necessarily need to be returned to Earth but could be used for construction/energy purposes on the Moon or to build/power space craft right on site. Also building a Mass driver/electromagnetic catapult could indeed make launching both space craft and returning minerals to Earth both viable and cost effective, long term.

Agreed.
Building spacecraft (really big ones) is still a faraway dream, but at some point, it will be viable. And we will not have to escape Earth's gravity to get the materials to the build point... just the Moon's.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join