It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi RV park owner evicts interracial couple

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

But this law will be used as a means to shield and protect the accused. They will merely go into court and state that a biracial couple is an affront to their religious beliefs and that they have a moral objection to such. And the way the Mississippi law is written, the state will pick up the accused legal fees and tabs on such.

In short Mississippi and other states that are passing laws like this, are allowing for the rise of discrimination again.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Southern Guardian

This RV park owner should be fined simply for opening his big mouth. At least he is shutting down the park. No more issues.after that happens.

He probably only said he was shutting down to get rid of people bothering him.

Sad that people like this think Church will get them to heaven instead of what they do in life.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Oh come ON! What year is it!? 1949?

If they were being evicted because they were massive scumbags, getting all messed up on life eaters (class A drugs), breaking into other RVs and setting fire to things, then that would be grounds to throw them out. But that simply is not the case here from what I can gather. This situation is just straight up wrong. One of the evictee is a National Guardsman for crying out loud!

Giving in to prejudice, his own, or that of neighbours, is no excuse for the landlords behaviour on this issue.

It's a damned disgrace.

We share absolute agreement

I almost grieve for the US when I read some of these stories, genuinely.
I guess it's only been since the 1960's that black people stopped being treated like dirt in legislation though, perhaps a couple more dinosaur generations need to die off before things will improve the way they should.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

This RV park owner should be fined simply for opening his big mouth. At least he is shutting down the park. No more issues.after that happens.

I have consistently let my personal opinion of these people be known. My problem is when Government forces compliance not with the idea behind why they feel the need to do so.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'll take the 'authority' here in the UK with it's legislation which has changed citizens behaviour.
When I was a kid there were plenty of racist 'comedy' programmes on TV, and discrimination in 'real' life against minorities.
Laws were passed, people were forced to discuss those laws, the next generation discussed them again, they became accepted as normal.

With each generation bigotry has reduced as far as my experience growing older has shown me.
It was the initial legislation which forced the debate. I support some authority, hell there is 'authority' in every social demographic, from drug dealers to the state, sometimes the same thing lol.

There will always be the hardest gang in town, and right now it is the government and police. I prefer that to societal collapse and some of the bad boys I know locally taking control. I'm pretty sure I'd do okay, but many others wouldn't, they would be victims to those bad boys.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I have consistently let my personal opinion of these people be known. My problem is when Government forces compliance not with the idea behind why they feel the need to do so.

But who fines him if not the government?

Isn't that also forced compliance?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
Isn't that also forced compliance?

There is, and always has been, forced compliance, it just depends on who is the biggest gang in town.
I'm happy if the biggest gang in town discourages people from being discriminatory bigots through legal recourse and penalty.
I'm not a discriminatory bigot though so such laws trouble me not.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

That was in response to Metallicus who thinks that this park owner should be fined for not providing a service when others have the right to discriminate as described in his thread.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Ah yeah I got that, I was just sharing my own thoughts with you for interesting conversation.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here are some interesting words from Metallicus.

I have always conducted business the same way.

I will never believe that FORCING someone to comply because they said something mean or insensitive is okay. Forcing other people to take action contrary to their beliefs is anathema to everything I believe. If there is no crime against person or property then there is no crime.

I don't care how someone 'feels' about what was said to them.

Does this fall in line with his comment about the park owner needing to be fined?
edit on 5-4-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
Does this fall in line with his comment about the park owner needing to be fined?

Agreed, the two ideas clearly contradict each other, but I'll leave you to it taking it up with the member.

I'm just pointing out that there is always the hardest gang in town, so there is always coercion. I'm happy that the current hardest gang in the UK created legislation to stop discriminatory bigots from treating other humans like dirt.
It took a generation or two but it has worked, and as more of the dinosaurs die out then the better I say.

I'm anti-authority, I pseudo-comply as I call it, I pick and choose laws to obey depending on how they fit with my ethical and moral considerations. But, even in societal collapse, there will always be the hardest gang in town, and if that gang bans discriminatory bigotry then I won't complain.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75 I thought the same thing about only side being shown, but I assume the neighbors were complaining because of racial tension. I'll have to read the full article... maybe it's more clear than what's in the OP.
The landlord said, his church "lets'' interracial folks attend, I only paraphrased what he said, not sure if the article quotes him on that, I'll reread when I have time.
Having attended services where all are welcome to be full members in faith and there are many different ethnicities, I thought that a bit racists to say interracial people are ''let'' in but can't be members.
I never had to go to a church and people or myself, were saying, ''thank you for ''letting me'' attend... it takes away from the saving grace of salvation... all are welcomed to salvation.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Im not religious or anything so I wouldn't go to a church, mosque or synagogue unless dragged kicking and screaming as if I was baby Damian from the Omen, but then to have me feel that I should be grateful for having attend your boring assed sermons and dopey wrist slitting music with conditions??..I say piss off..

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

So this is becoming a big story but BLM members beating up a war hero is not worthy.
Was the war hero black? Was the war hero called any disparaging names by the feds? Then no, its not news...this whole country is f**cking bananas.

White, black, spanish, walrus...I don't care...I'm going to say what ever I want to you. And if you don't like it or you think its racist, then it probably is and i obtained my goal of making you feel bad about yourself.

Jeebus man cant people grow a pair and stop being so sensitive because the world doesn't act like they do? PC jag heads should be executed first. NAACP is one of the most undertone racial organizations around, their very existence is racism.

Just another nail in the cultural coffin for blacks in this country, lets let white leaders give them a special club so they can feel like they belong because we confused generations of them to where they have no social identity other than prison statistics and poor parenting technique. Yes whites do these things too, but much like when a crime happens to a black man by a white cop....its all we ever hear about.

People are so superficial it pisses me off. What the man did was wrong under his premise.....but its his park. He can do what he wants like it or not.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Oh come ON! What year is it!? 1949?

If they were being evicted because they were massive scumbags, getting all messed up on life eaters (class A drugs), breaking into other RVs and setting fire to things, then that would be grounds to throw them out. But that simply is not the case here from what I can gather. This situation is just straight up wrong. One of the evictee is a National Guardsman for crying out loud!

Giving in to prejudice, his own, or that of neighbours, is no excuse for the landlords behaviour on this issue.

It's a damned disgrace.

Good evening fine sir. I hope you're having a wonderfully blessed day.

In this particular situation, we have what amounts to a "her word against his" scenario. So I was just curious...

As someone who was successfully sued in an OBVIOUSLY frivolous lawsuit by a minority who wrongfully accused you of some very nasty behavior...

What is it about this story that compelled you to rush to the defense of the accuser?

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Specifically, what leads me to believe that the behaviour of the landlord was at fault here is the way the landlord dealt with the situation in the end, by closing down the park, which, as he put it "solves the problem".

Let me tell you something I have learned about being in business. Hard times will fall upon one, from time to time, financially, mentally, physically as well. But the tendency is to keep the doors open, because that is the only way to get people in, spending their money on your goods or services, and most people who run their own business rely on whatever it brings in to pay their bills and so on. There has never been a day in my business life, where I thought "here is a problem which can only be solved by my never opening this door again". Most, if not all the biggest issues a business faces, revolve around keeping the doors open to anyone who has a penny to spend.

Reducing ones potential customer base goes against good sense, if ones only motivation is doing business with people.

It is, however, the sort of thing that one might do, if ones motivations for ones actions are not strictly business related, if one has an ulterior motivation for ones actions.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join